The UK leaves the EU

Started by vandermolen, January 30, 2020, 10:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Feel sad about this today - they reminded us on the radio today that at the end of WW2 Churchill said that he looked forward to 'a United States of Europe'. Can't help thinking that Brexit is a retrograde move, not in the interests of the country - but many will be celebrating. Perhaps I'll hold a two minute silence at 11.00pm.
:(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Tory MEP Daniel Hannan said in a speech at Brussels "You are losing a bad tenant and gaining a good neighbour". Politically Cameron and the EU made a huge miscalculation, between them they could have spiked Farage's guns. That they didn't has led to this. A genuine sadness on both sides I think, except of course the disgraceful behaviour of Farage and his gang.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 31, 2020, 12:39:18 AM
Tory MEP Daniel Hannan said in a speech at Brussels "You are losing a bad tenant and gaining a good neighbour". Politically Cameron and the EU made a huge miscalculation, between them they could have spiked Farage's guns. That they didn't has led to this. A genuine sadness on both sides I think, except of course the disgraceful behaviour of Farage and his gang.   
I like the quote. Totally agree about Farage whom my daughter had the misfortune of interviewing.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Interesting to see what UK is going to do with it's new freedom from EU. My guess is the rights of the working class will be attacked so that the rich can enjoy even bigger profits on the expense of workers. I believe that was the reason why people in UK had to be brainwashed to vote for Brexit. Being a member of EU didn't allow crony enough capitalism for the rich. How long will it take before people in UK realize what's going on?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Papy Oli

There is so much to love and to be proud of in this Great Britain. On this island of yours. Of ours, if i may, after 22 years here.

Democracy is what it is and you have to go with it. Even more so as a long term expat not being allowed to vote on such impacting matters. So be it.

I bloody love the UK but, by Jove, these last three years have been testing it. It was absolutely sickening waiting for that Leave to Remain approval, and even when granted, wondering what would/will come next.

I am French. I hope we kick the rosbeefs' proverbial behinds on the Rugby Crunch on Sunday (one can but dream) but I will still love the UK. After the game, I may have a Sunday pork roast (with crackling and lots of gravy)  and a sticky toffee pudding with custard. And on Monday night I will raise a glass to the memory of Nicholas Parsons while laughing away at Paul Merton talking away for "Just a minute" without repetition, hesitation or deviation.  then i might put a CD of Moeran or Rubbra on...Feeling so enriched for living an Entente Cordiale, with a foot on each side of La Manche...

There is a lot to love and to be proud of.

Tonight does not feel like it.
Olivier

Que

Quote from: vandermolen on January 30, 2020, 10:55:25 PM
Feel sad about this today - they reminded us on the radio today that at the end of WW2 Churchill said that he looked forward to 'a United States of Europe'. Can't help thinking that Brexit is a retrograde move, not in the interests of the country - but many will be celebrating. Perhaps I'll hold a two minute silence at 11.00pm.
:(

It is indeed really sad... and the writing on the wall, warning us of the dark times ahead.

But it is too early to tell whether Brexit itself will be a major disaster.
Perhaps Boris - out if necessity - will do a U-turn and will keep the UK closely aligned to the EU.
The risks for UK are substantial. Brexit has put its economy, geopolitical influence and even its territorial integrity on the line.

Let's hope Brexit has a soft landing.

After all, there is a lot that can happen in a year: a pandemic, a worldwide economic crisis (or both), a war in the Middle East, a climate crisis, you name it. All of which would make Brexit seem like a Sunday afternoon picnic.

Q

Daverz

Really sorry to see this play out the way it has.  The whole "Anglosphere" seems to be going nuts.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 31, 2020, 08:00:37 AM
There is so much to love and to be proud of in this Great Britain. On this island of yours. Of ours, if i may, after 22 years here.

Democracy is what it is and you have to go with it. Even more so as a long term expat not being allowed to vote on such impacting matters. So be it.

I bloody love the UK but, by Jove, these last three years have been testing it. It was absolutely sickening waiting for that Leave to Remain approval, and even when granted, wondering what would/will come next.

I am French. I hope we kick the rosbeefs' proverbial behinds on the Rugby Crunch on Sunday (one can but dream) but I will still love the UK. After the game, I may have a Sunday pork roast (with crackling and lots of gravy)  and a sticky toffee pudding with custard. And on Monday night I will raise a glass to the memory of Nicholas Parsons while laughing away at Paul Merton talking away for "Just a minute" without repetition, hesitation or deviation.  then i might put a CD of Moeran or Rubbra on...Feeling so enriched for living an Entente Cordiale, with a foot on each side of La Manche...

There is a lot to love and to be proud of.

Tonight does not feel like it.
Nice post Olivier. I must say that Brexit coming at the same time as the death of Nicholas Parsons does feel like Armageddon!

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on January 31, 2020, 12:37:51 PM
Nice post Olivier. I must say that Brexit coming at the same time as the death of Nicholas Parsons does feel like Armageddon!

I am coping by watching Good Omens on bbc catch up by Pratchett and Gaiman... Armageddon somehow seems fitting  >:D :laugh:
Olivier

J.A.W.

As an Anglophile I was glad when the UK joined the EU in 1973, but after 47 years of "half in, half out" I can't say I'm very sad to see it go.
Hans

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on January 30, 2020, 10:55:25 PM
Feel sad about this today ..

+1

Have accepted it, but the impression of a bad/absurd dream remains. Hope I'm wrong. As an example of absurdity, Douglas Carswell, winner of UKIP's only seat in 2015, was interviewed on the radio today saying he didn't like triumphalism, but that now all the Brexit doomsayers who had claimed it would be a disaster, should admit they were wrong ... clearly a seer of extraordinary power knowing that it's all going to work out well before anything's even happened.  ::)

But the recent election was very decisive, the Tory's look extremely comfortable and I can't imagine outside of a major surprise, that they won't ease into power at the next one too. The control of Brexit is in their hands, so it seems there's not much anyone can do about it now, apart from hope for the best.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 31, 2020, 12:37:51 PM

For us, at the wrong but lucky side of the Pond, it is too. May G'd have mercy on the UK, as it will go from harrassment to harrassment over the next few years, with always one big victim first and for all til the bitter end: common people (losing their civil rights, homes, even country of birth & so much more). Hope and expect Scotland to re-join the European family ASAP and may the rest of the Blessed Isles follow soon after the removal of the Greedy & Totally Self-Centred Idiots in Westminster. #Amen  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

The UK flag being removed at the European Concil building.

Q

steve ridgway

Quote from: Que on February 01, 2020, 02:50:05 AM

Q

Do the EU flags all need to be remade with one less star or doesn't it match the number of countries? I haven't seen any here for years to count them.

Que

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 01, 2020, 05:04:20 AM
Do the EU flags all need to be remade with one less star or doesn't it match the number of countries? I haven't seen any here for years to count them.

It has been always (since 1955) the symbolic number of twelve stars:

"Against the blue sky of the Western world, the stars symbolise the peoples of Europe in a form of a circle, a sign of union. Their number is invariably twelve, the figure twelve being the symbol of perfection and entirety."

— Council of Europe. Paris, 7–9 December 1955.

Q

steve ridgway

Quote from: Que on February 01, 2020, 05:15:18 AM
It has been always (since 1955) the symbolic number of twelve stars:

"Against the blue sky of the Western world, the stars symbolise the peoples of Europe in a form of a circle, a sign of union. Their number is invariably twelve, the figure twelve being the symbol of perfection and entirety."

— Council of Europe. Paris, 7–9 December 1955.

Q

Thanks for that. At least some further expense will be avoided.

Iota

Quote from: Que on February 01, 2020, 02:50:05 AM

Q

The gentleman removing the flag looks as if he's involved in some sinister one-legged masonic rite, perhaps consigning us to be crushed under the mighty EU heel for our apostasy. As if we haven't got enough problems.

Ratliff

Quote from: Iota on February 01, 2020, 07:17:43 AM
The gentleman removing the flag looks as if he's involved in some sinister one-legged masonic rite, perhaps consigning us to be crushed under the mighty EU heel for our apostasy. As if we haven't got enough problems.

He's taking it to be recycled according to EU rules, reduced to pulp to be used in the manufacture of toilet paper.

Henceforth, wiping your bum in an EU country is officially referred to as "Boris's salute."

:)

vandermolen

Projected onto white cliffs at Dover. Message to EU:

Que