Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

The failure of the economic plan for the EU is what gives energy to the forces now tearing it apart. This was predicted as far back as the '90s.

People don't just wake up one day and discover that they were really hypernationalists all along. With no national currency, weaker countries are victims of austerity policies of the strongest countries. A little more than a decade ago what had been predicted happened. People reacted the way they do, rebelling against the Austerions.

An economic crisis changes how people think. People don't just start thinking differently.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ratliff

Quote from: Herman on April 09, 2020, 11:03:59 PM
Wishing you well, in Texas.
I couldn't help but notice that Spring's Wiki all but says "we're a very white town, very good".
You can't help that.
Good luck in your new job.

I don't know what you are reading, but Spring, which is a postal zone within The Woodlands, is part of the Houston metro area, which is often described as the most diverse city in the U.S. In initial walks in my neighborhood I see a diversity of ethnic backgrounds and hear languages other than English spoken.

Thanks for your good wishes.

GioCar

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 10, 2020, 05:36:58 AM
Thanks, I know 'La Repubblica', when once working in a tourist/newspaper kiosk in downtown Copenhagen, I'd try browsing it regularly, together with 'Corriere ...', it's a serious newspaper (btw, we also had '24 Ore ..." and "Gazetta dello Sport").

Well, the most serious is, no doubt, Gazzetta dello Sport  :D. It is the most popular, anyway  ;)

Que

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 09, 2020, 09:31:16 PM
For those of you who have noticed my whining, I finished my relocation.

[...]

Anyway, we survived, we are here. Now we wait and see if we got the virus...

Quite the adventure!  Good to hear that all went well. :)

Q

MusicTurner

Quote from: GioCar on April 10, 2020, 07:29:54 AM
Well, the most serious is, no doubt, Gazzetta dello Sport  :D. (...)

Of course, also illustrated by its colour 😄

Mandryka

The latest batch of the Government's PPE has finally arrived at hospitals throughout London.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Police are banning people from using their own front gardens and patrolling the aisles of supermarkets looking for shoppers purchasing 'non-essential' items. Like living in an Orwellian dystopia. The govt. has had to back-track on this lunacy now. This was once a free country but now one may risk arrest for 'going for a walk' and 'doing the shopping'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ratliff

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2020, 07:41:09 AM
Police are banning people from using their own front gardens and patrolling the aisles of supermarkets looking for shoppers purchasing 'non-essential' items. Like living in an Orwellian dystopia. The govt. has had to back-track on this lunacy now. This was once a free country but now one may risk arrest for 'going for a walk' and 'doing the shopping'.

That sounds pretty extreme. There is a point of diminishing returns. On the other hand, this could be regarded as them moral equivalent of war. What would happen if you refused to close your shades under London blackout during WWII?

prémont

Good to hear. I wish you and your family my best in your new location.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

j winter

OK, that's a bit nuts... if I'm already at the supermarket, does it really increase the chance of infection if I throw some Doritos into the cart?  Seriously...  ???

And besides, perhaps the poor guy's wife is expecting, in which case God knows what may be essential...  :laugh:
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Kaga2

Yes, that's crazy.  my impression of the UK police started low: they charge 3000 people a year for Facebook posts and cover up massive grooming scandals.

Anyway, they are not the only ones
https://pjmedia.com/trending/co-police-deeply-sorry-for-arresting-father-for-playing-ball-with-his-daughter/

Ratliff

Quote from: Mandryka on April 10, 2020, 07:36:22 AM
The latest batch of the Government's PPE has finally arrived at hospitals throughout London.

Or maybe...

Karl Henning

To recap, I accepted a new job two months ago, sold the house, planned my move, then the pandemic hit. By some miracle, the house closing went through, the movers came on April 3rd, and we left that evening to drive from Central Coast California to the Houston Texas area. We stopped the first night in Pasadena, lunched the next morning in Palm Springs, CA, slept the next night in Phoenix AZ. The next day we lunched in Tucson AZ, had diner in Les Cruces NM, and slept in El Paso Texas. Got up, had lunch in Van Horn Texas, lunch in Odessa Texas and slept in Abilene Texas. The last day we lunched in Dallas Texas and arrived in Spring Texas.

Things were surprisingly normal, with a few odd touches. We had to talk to hotel clerks through the night check-in window, or from behind a plexiglass barrier. But everything was functioning more or less normally. Probably there was less traffic in the metropolitan areas we passed. We did check into all of those motels, and probably that is the biggest risk of exposure we have faced. We stopped in a Whole Foods Market in each major city we passed to get lunch and/or supplies for subsequent dinner, which we prepared in our hotel room with a hot plate and toaster oven we brought with us in the car. Some nights we stopped in two hotels, one to prepare our dinner and another to actually sleep. It added up to about 1,700 miles, 3,000 kilometers, and about 28 hours of actual driving.

Good to know that you've landed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: j winter on April 10, 2020, 08:14:18 AM
OK, that's a bit nuts... if I'm already at the supermarket, does it really increase the chance of infection if I throw some Doritos into the cart?  Seriously...  ???

And besides, perhaps the poor guy's wife is expecting, in which case God knows what may be essential...  :laugh:

+ 1. Pushing things too far is crazy.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 09, 2020, 02:00:29 PM
Nice. Borrowing this.
Is that a prescription pad that it's holding?
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

I think it was more the police chief saying that on that TV interview that wanted to put a (firm but fair) point across about the coming Easter weekend but got a bit carried away and became overzealous. As you said, he got talked to and they backtracked on his comments.

On the other hand, they should do more than just giving "warnings" to the covidiots who purposely still do house or street parties (beyond household residents that is). In our neck of the woods, Great Manchester Police intervened on over 490+ parties in the whole Manchester area over 2weeks. Some of them with DJ's and bouncy castles.... why that is just warned and not punished is beyond me...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-map-parties-coronavirus-lockdown-18067390

Olivier

steve ridgway

Ah, it looks like some of the police were being arses but the government have since told them off.

"People can buy whatever they want from shops that remain open" and "people can use their gardens as they wish".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52245937

vers la flamme

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 10, 2020, 08:45:14 AM
Is that a prescription pad that it's holding?

Toilet paper, looks like.

Pohjolas Daughter

To recap, I accepted a new job two months ago, sold the house, planned my move, then the pandemic hit. By some miracle, the house closing went through, the movers came on April 3rd, and we left that evening to drive from Central Coast California to the Houston Texas area. We stopped the first night in Pasadena, lunched the next morning in Palm Springs, CA, slept the next night in Phoenix AZ. The next day we lunched in Tucson AZ, had diner in Les Cruces NM, and slept in El Paso Texas. Got up, had lunch in Van Horn Texas, lunch in Odessa Texas and slept in Abilene Texas. The last day we lunched in Dallas Texas and arrived in Spring Texas.

Things were surprisingly normal, with a few odd touches. We had to talk to hotel clerks through the night check-in window, or from behind a plexiglass barrier. But everything was functioning more or less normally. Probably there was less traffic in the metropolitan areas we passed. We did check into all of those motels, and probably that is the biggest risk of exposure we have faced. We stopped in a Whole Foods Market in each major city we passed to get lunch and/or supplies for subsequent dinner, which we prepared in our hotel room with a hot plate and toaster oven we brought with us in the car. Some nights we stopped in two hotels, one to prepare our dinner and another to actually sleep. It added up to about 1,700 miles, 3,000 kilometers, and about 28 hours of actual driving.

Good to hear that all went well!  And hope that settling in goes event-free too.   :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 10, 2020, 08:06:29 AM
Good to hear. I wish you and your family my best in your new location.

+1

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk