Author Topic: George Lloyd  (Read 44599 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Villa-Lobos and others
Re: George Lloyd
« Reply #360 on: August 18, 2020, 05:25:29 AM »
After some posts in the "Blown away" thread, I'm revisiting the Seventh Symphony, and I have some observations:

1. Is the first movement a rare example of a symphony opening with a Scherzo? It certainly feels light and dancey for a lot of its duration.

2. With each listen, I realize more and more just how gorgeous the slow movement is.

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #361 on: August 18, 2020, 05:57:20 AM »
After some posts in the "Blown away" thread, I'm revisiting the Seventh Symphony, and I have some observations:

1. Is the first movement a rare example of a symphony opening with a Scherzo? It certainly feels light and dancey for a lot of its duration.

2. With each listen, I realize more and more just how gorgeous the slow movement is.

It's fine music.  It's not a scherzo but is a waltz so does feel like a ballet as the second subject.  Yes, this is gorgeous!

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #362 on: August 18, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »

1. Interesting point. The fact that it’s in quick triple time (most likely 3/8 or 6/8, I haven’t seen the score) probably contributes to this, and I agree about its balletic nature. Of course, it certainly carries the requisite weight, argument, and drama of a truly symphonic opening movement.

2. And yes, when the music “blossoms” halfway through the slow movement with the tune in the celli, it’s certainly a glorious moment! Lloyd does a similar thing in the slow movement of the 4th Symphony where the music eventually “opens up” gloriously after a rather austere opening.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #363 on: November 20, 2020, 07:49:26 AM »
Some of you might enjoy this musical analysis of George Lloyd's Symphony No. 7
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Nov/Lloyd-symphony7-analysis.htm

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #364 on: November 20, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »
Some of you might enjoy this musical analysis of George Lloyd's Symphony No. 7
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Nov/Lloyd-symphony7-analysis.htm

Thanks very much for sharing, Karim! This masterpiece certainly deserves the in-depth analysis you’ve given it.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2020, 07:13:22 AM »
Thanks very much for sharing, Karim! This masterpiece certainly deserves the in-depth analysis you’ve given it.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
Thank you!  I hope it helps expose this unjustly neglected composer to more audiences.