USA Politics

Started by Que, June 09, 2020, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Quote from: arpeggio on September 16, 2020, 05:45:56 AM

I still have a problem with people who do not believe in evolution.

I live in a world crowded with people who "believe in" stuff. Most of it is harmless.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: Todd on September 16, 2020, 04:56:43 AM

For me, it's cheap entertainment - that also happens to be free.
Yeah.

For me, it's good as long as people don't get too annoying.

Mainly it's one of a few distractions which are much needed whenever I'm working on something. I can't just focus on most work solely for a long time. Every ~15 minutes or so I have to have a distraction for a few minutes. The only thing compelling enough to have my attention for hours sometimes have been video games, though of course only some of them.

And it's better than sitting here either staring off into space for a few minutes or playing guitar for a few minutes. The reason why is I tend to get a lot of creative ideas that turn into something I just don't have time for. I'm throwing a bunch of snippets of riffs and such together in a folder, hopefully they'll be used one day...
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: greg on September 16, 2020, 06:49:49 AM

And it's better than sitting here either staring off into space for a few minutes or playing guitar for a few minutes. The reason why is I tend to get a lot of creative ideas that turn into something I just don't have time for. I'm throwing a bunch of snippets of riffs and such together in a folder, hopefully they'll be used one day...

One time I did a riff that was extraordinary because it had an odd timing in it. I was never able to recapture it. That must have been 25 years ago. To this day I'm haunted by the memory, even though what I'm remembering is my frustration at not being able to remember what I did.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on September 16, 2020, 07:11:37 AM
     One time I did a riff that was extraordinary because it had an odd timing in it. I was never able to recapture it. That must have been 25 years ago. To this day I'm haunted by the memory, even though what I'm remembering is my frustration at not being able to remember what I did.
Ugh.
Yeah, that's what I try to avoid... immediately now when I get such ideas I turn the computer on and write it down in Guitar Pro. It is also useful for odd timings, since the playback makes it easier to understand the timing of your ideas rather than just relying on your own sense of rhythm.

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on September 16, 2020, 07:11:37 AM

The danger of the impromptu 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

) After Trump appeared at the ABC News forum, which featured Pennsylvania voters questioning Trump, Fox News's Laura Ingraham pronounced the affair an "ambush" that could have been staged by the Democratic National Committee. The Fox chyron read:

ABC SPRINGS AMBUSH ON PRES TRUMP AT TOWN HALL

This response, and the town hall itself, capture a larger truth about the moment. When Trump is not permitted to freely dissemble with abandon or coddled by an interviewer who treats his magnificence as a foundational premise — as he so often is on Fox — he is actually very bad at answering difficult questions about his performance.

The notion that this spectacle constituted an "ambush" underscores the point: If this felt like a surprise attack, it's only because direct and persistent questioning about his towering failures and broken promises really are politically damaging to him. (
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on September 16, 2020, 06:05:29 AM
     I live in a world crowded with people who "believe in" stuff. Most of it is harmless.

We have to "believe in" or "lack belief of" most things because there are no proofs of everything. What I find interestesing is when people "believe in" silly things when "better" explanations exist. Believing in creation before Darwin's theories was understandable, because what else did you have? After Darwin you suddenly had a far superior explantion so the rational thing was to change your beliefs to reflect the new knowledge.

Most crazy people are harmless. I'm sure I have many crazy beliefs such as Dittersdorf was a great composer, but I believe I am harmless...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2020, 08:26:19 AM
) After Trump appeared at the ABC News forum, which featured Pennsylvania voters questioning Trump, Fox News's Laura Ingraham pronounced the affair an "ambush" that could have been staged by the Democratic National Committee. The Fox chyron read:

This response, and the town hall itself, capture a larger truth about the moment. When Trump is not permitted to freely dissemble with abandon or coddled by an interviewer who treats his magnificence as a foundational premise — as he so often is on Fox — he is actually very bad at answering difficult questions about his performance.

The notion that this spectacle constituted an "ambush" underscores the point: If this felt like a surprise attack, it's only because direct and persistent questioning about his towering failures and broken promises really are politically damaging to him. (

1963: President Kennedy shot dead!
2020: President Trump ambushed!

:o

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on September 16, 2020, 08:37:37 AM
1963: President Kennedy shot dead!
2020: President Trump ambushed!

:o

Very unfair!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on September 16, 2020, 08:32:26 AM
We have to "believe in" or "lack belief of" most things because there are no proofs of everything. What I find interestesing is when people "believe in" silly things when "better" explanations exist. Believing in creation before Darwin's theories was understandable, because what else did you have? After Darwin you suddenly had a far superior explanation so the rational thing was to change your beliefs to reflect the new knowledge.

Most crazy people are harmless. I'm sure I have many crazy beliefs such as Dittersdorf was a great composer, but I believe I am harmless...  :P

Dittersdorf  8)

It is, of course possible for theists to accept both a belief that God created the Cosmos, and that Evolution is part of the order created.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on September 16, 2020, 08:32:26 AM
We have to "believe in" or "lack belief of" most things because there are no proofs of everything.
Or people could just say that they don't know something. Which would be better.

Karl Henning

Quote from: greg on September 16, 2020, 08:48:05 AM

Your best post in years,
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Herman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2020, 08:26:19 AM

Obviously this is intended to feed into the bizarra Trump = the 2020 underdog narrative.

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2020, 08:39:02 AM
Very unfair!

To who?

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2020, 08:41:47 AM
It is, of course possible for theists to accept both a belief that God created the Cosmos, and that Evolution is part of the order created.

People can have all kind of beliefs. Some believe in creation. I believe in evolution. Some believe God started evolution process. I believe in abiogenesis and that life is inevitable whenever the conditions make it possible. Some believe God created the universe. I believe a "big bang" happened when a black hole was formed in the "mother" universe inside which our universe is as a black hole and we are just a hologram created by the 2-dimensional surface of the black hole and our hologram universe is expanding because the black hole is "eating stuff" in the mother universe and all the quantum information gets stuck on the surface (because you can't destroy it) of the black hole becoming quantum information for the hologram, but I could be totally wrong. I'm lucky to understand 20 % of the theories by people such as late Stephen Hawking and Leonard Susskind. They could be wrong too, althou most of the time when people say Leonard Susskind is wrong they have to go back to him 5 years later to apologize and admit he was right.  ;D

71 dB

Quote from: greg on September 16, 2020, 08:48:05 AM

Sure, and people can always educate themselves and actually know something. Ignorance shouldn't be celebrated. It's not like we live in a World where only kings and priests have books and access to information.

krummholz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2020, 10:32:18 AM
) Trump's campaign is suffused with race-baiting and condescension toward women ("suburban housewives"). On health care, normally the most important issue for women, Trump threatens to undo the Affordable Care Act. He also lied to the public about covid-19, resulting in close to 200,000 deaths, "virtual schooling" (a nightmare for many women who must work and supervise their children's education), food insecurity, 27 million workers looking for jobless benefits, and widespread fear of eviction. What's not to like, right? (

A nit here, but his lying to the public about COVID-19 didn't cause close to 200,000 deaths, it caused whatever the delta is between close to 200,000 deaths, and the number that would have happened anyway. That number is probably impossible to calculate or even estimate, but there it is. Still an inexcusable and imo self-serving act, regardless of the excuse he gave for it. Didn't want to cause a panic? Yeah, right. Didn't want to cause an ECONOMIC panic that would cost him the election, more likely.

I want someone who respects truth and takes the job of POTUS seriously. Biden? Not my first choice, but better than what we have.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Herman on September 16, 2020, 09:20:47 AM
Obviously this is intended to feed into the bizarra Trump = the 2020 underdog narrative.

It also signifies that even State Media understands that he choked.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on September 16, 2020, 09:56:58 AM
A nit here, but his lying to the public about COVID-19 didn't cause close to 200,000 deaths, it caused whatever the delta is between close to 200,000 deaths, and the number that would have happened anyway. That number is probably impossible to calculate or even estimate, but there it is. Still an inexcusable and imo self-serving act, regardless of the excuse he gave for it.

Undeniably a good nit.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on September 16, 2020, 09:26:03 AM
To who?

That's one of Trump's stock accusations against MSM

QuotePeople can have all kind of beliefs. Some believe in creation. I believe in evolution. Some believe God started evolution process. I believe in abiogenesis and that life is inevitable whenever the conditions make it possible. Some believe God created the universe. I believe a "big bang" happened when a black hole was formed in the "mother" universe inside which our universe is as a black hole and we are just a hologram created by the 2-dimensional surface of the black hole and our hologram universe is expanding because the black hole is "eating stuff" in the mother universe and all the quantum information gets stuck on the surface (because you can't destroy it) of the black hole becoming quantum information for the hologram, but I could be totally wrong. I'm lucky to understand 20 % of the theories by people such as late Stephen Hawking and Leonard Susskind. They could be wrong too, althou most of the time when people say Leonard Susskind is wrong they have to go back to him 5 years later to apologize and admit he was right.  ;D

Our various beliefs are no "threat" to one another, nor is the difference in opinion any obstacle to friendship.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA