Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

If you can afford the time to do so, and aren't too.. ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on April 24, 2014, 07:45:49 AM
If you can afford the time to do so,

Voin toki --- Georges Bizet säveltäjä Carmen.

and aren't too.. ;)
Tämä osa En ymmärtänyt ollenkaan.

If all the above does not make any sense to you, then blame it on Google Translate and please correct it!

:-*
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on April 24, 2014, 07:53:45 AM
Voin toki --- Georges Bizet, Carmenin säveltäjä.
Tä[t]ä osa[a] [e]n ymmärtänyt ollenkaan.

If all the above does not make any sense to you, then blame it on Google Translate and please correct it!

:-*
I just wondered if you were too busy :D
Figuring out what your Finnish meant took no effort whatsoever, but it is far from being grammatically correct. :)

Nu cred că vreau să încerc să vă răspundă în limba română.   8)

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on April 24, 2014, 08:19:17 AM
I just wondered if you were too busy :D
Figuring out what your Finnish meant took no effort whatsoever, but it is far from being grammatically correct. :)

Got it!  :D

Nu cred că vreau să încerc să vă răspund în limba română.   8)

Well, this is absolutely grammatically correct (I deleted one superfluous letter) , but... it's very, very formal, just like me talking to the Queen of England on the first time I meet her...  :D

This is what you'd actually reply, in colloquial Romanian:

N-aş prea vrea să- ţi răspund în română:D

(implying, if I would want to reply, you'd not be too happy about it:D :D :D

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on April 24, 2014, 09:18:23 AMWell, this is absolutely grammatically correct (I deleted one superfluous letter) , but... it's very, very formal, just like me talking to the Queen of England on the first time I meet her...  :D

This is what you'd actually reply, in colloquial Romanian:

N-aş prea vrea să- ţi răspund în română:D

(implying, if I would want to reply, you'd not be too happy about it:D :D :D
I pretty much guessed that the 'limba' would get thrown out in practice - as it is in the English language, too, for instance.

Finnish must be among the hardest for Google Translate to translate grammatically correctly because of the cases and conjugation of nouns and verbs.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

You must be right!  And I was prepared to find that I had misremembered, it has been a while.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mn dave

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on April 24, 2014, 09:50:37 AM
You must be right!  And I was prepared to find that I had misremembered, it has been a while.
I could have tried to remember all the names of the cases and count them, but I couldn't have made a decent guess offhand myself. :)
I suppose it matters that we have learn them (and to use them) all instead of just a trivia titbit concerning the number of the cases (pfft, my browser is silly and prudish, and thinks 'tidbit' is the correct spelling...)

Quote from: karlhenning on April 24, 2014, 09:52:35 AM
But only 14 in eesti$:)
They must have gotten rid of one more than we..

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on April 24, 2014, 09:26:17 AM
I pretty much guessed that the 'limba' would get thrown out in practice - as it is in the English language, too, for instance.

You were absolutely right!

"limba" (> Latin lingua, meaning either language, as in I speak the English language, or tongue, as in I have bitten my tongue) can safely be thrown out.

Don't get me started about the etimology of Romanian words. Linguistics is one of my dearest hobbies. :D

Finnish must be among the hardest for Google Translate to translate grammatically correctly because of the cases and conjugation of nouns and verbs.
The same goes for Romanian, which preserves the original Latin cases, conjugations and declinations --- and combine them with words of Slavic origin.  ;D

To give you an idea about our linguistic family: as an educated (and passionately self-educated) Romanian, I can understand and read Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese, as well as all their dialects (of which the Catalan, for instance, is closer to Romanian than the Spanish proper/actually Castilian, and so are the Southern Italian dialects, too) --- without thoroughly studying any of them.  :D

Kippis, ystäväni!

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on April 24, 2014, 11:19:16 AM
You were absolutely right!

"limba" (> Latin lingua, meaning either language, as in I speak the English language, or tongue, as in I have bitten my tongue) can safely be thrown out.

Don't get me started about the et(y)mology of Romanian words. Linguistics is one of my dearest hobbies. :D
The same goes for Romanian, which preserves the original Latin cases, conjugations and declinations --- and combine them with words of Slavic origin.  ;D

To give you an idea about our linguistic family: as an educated (and passionately self-educated) Romanian, I can understand and read Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese, as well as all their dialects (of which the Catalan, for instance, is closer to Romanian than the Spanish proper/actually Castilian, and so are the Southern Italian dialects, too) --- without thoroughly studying any of them.  :D

Kippis, ystäväni!
I don't mind linguistics at all..

A bit like that with Estonian & Finnish, although some words have entirely different meanings in each language.

Obviously there are lots of English, Swedish, Russian & German loanwords (kuningas, the Finnish word for king comes from the proto-Germanic kuningaz) in Finnish, and many words invented by Agricola and later authors, in addition to the words originating from Fenno-Ugric, that are similar to a degree in Hungarian, Finnish, Estonian and other related languages.

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on April 24, 2014, 12:08:11 PM
I don't mind linguistics at all..
I love you!  :)

A bit like that with Estonian & Finnish, although some words have entirely different meanings in each language.
I am not aware of any Romanian word which is derived from a Latin/Slavic/Turkish/Greek original and have an entirely different meaning....  ;D

Obviously there are lots of English, Swedish, Russian & German loanwords
Of course! Nobody knows what the Dacian language (a branch of the Thracian language) sounded like, except for a few dozen words which are supposed to be of Dacian origin.

The (modern) Romanian language is a construct of the 19-th century intellectual and political elite; it is basically grounded upon the language spoken in Wallachia and it has (1) a fully Latin grammar, (2) a mixed vocabulary of Latin / Slavic / Turkish / Greek words and lots of (3) neologisms of mostly French and Italian origin.

It is a very interesting story: in the second half of the 19th century the Romanian linguistics was split between two camps: (1) the Latin school, which sought to artificially get rid of all non-Latin influences and (2) the Young Romanian school, which sought to write and speak the language as spoken and written by the people. Needless to say, it was the YR school that prevailed.

Quote(kuningas, the Finnish word for king comes from the proto-Germanic kuningaz
The Romanian word rege (king) comes from the Latin rex

Quoteand many words invented by Agricola and later authors, in addition to the words originating from Fenno-Ugric, that are similar to a degree in Hungarian, Finnish, Estonian and other related languages.
Well, not a single one of the words invented by the Latin school made their way into the common vocabulary; they are today used as examples of ridiculous inventions ---  all contemporary Romanians would understand their meaning but nobody would use them...

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on April 24, 2014, 12:53:54 PM
I love you!  :)
Et tu!

QuoteI am not aware of any Romanian word which is derived from a Latin/Slavic/Turkish/Greek original and have an entirely different meaning....  ;D
Of course! Nobody knows what the Dacian language (a branch of the Thracian language) sounded like, except for a few dozen words which are supposed to be of Dacian origin.

The (modern) Romanian language is a construct of the 19-th century intellectual and political elite; it is basically grounded upon the language spoken in Wallachia and it has (1) a fully Latin grammar, (2) a mixed vocabulary of Latin / Slavic / Turkish / Greek words and lots of (3) neologisms of mostly French and Italian origin.

It is a very interesting story: in the second half of the 19th century the Romanian linguistics was split between two camps: (1) the Latin school, which sought to artificially get rid of all non-Latin influences and (2) the Young Romanian school, which sought to write and speak the language as spoken and written by the people. Needless to say, it was the YR school that prevailed.
The Romanian word rege (king) comes from the Latin rex

Well, not a single one of the words invented by the Latin school made their way into the common vocabulary; they are today used as examples of ridiculous inventions ---  all contemporary Romanians would understand their meaning but nobody would use them...

The Finnish language wasn't a written language before Mikael Agricola (c. 1510 – 9 April 1557)  translated the New Testament and other religious text, and produced some of his own, including the Abckiria (literally Abc book; a primer for reading and a catechism) & Rucouskiria (book of prayers).
Still, Finnish wasn't an official language for a long time. In 1835, Elias Lönnrot published the Kalevala, the collection of epic poetry from Karelian and Finnish oral folklore and mythology, and in 1840 Kanteletar, a collection of folk songs, hymns & poetry.

In 1870, Aleksis Kivi (originally Alexis Stenwall, but like many others, he changed his name to a more Finnish guise) published the first significant piece of Finnish literature Seven Brothers (Finnish: Seitsemän veljestä). Under the Russification, Finnish language became popular the nationalistic students & cultural & financial elite (who were pretty much all Swedish speakers, including Sibelius, Axel Gallén (Akseli Gallen-Kallela) and Kivi)

My photographs on Flickr

Jay F

The Beatles Second Album. It was their new US release 50 years ago (April 10, 1964). I've been listening to the Beatles for the first time in decades since the US Albums box set came out in January. I just can't stop myself. I bought the Beatles in Mono box set in 2009, but I hardly listened to it before putting it on the shelf. Turns out this is the box set I really wanted: US album sequencing, only in better sound. I have listened to Rubber Soul in particular probably approaching 100 times.

I'm so happy to see all these Beatles threads that have popped up in the last day or two.

[asin]B00H8XF9I0[/asin]

mn dave

Brahmsian

Decided to change my Brahms avatar to Penderecki for a little while.  Have been listening to much of his music again lately, and will likely try to add to my collection of his works, especially more of his chamber works, and operas.

:)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 26, 2014, 08:50:05 AM
Decided to change my Brahms avatar to Penderecki for a little while.  Have been listening to much of his music again lately, and will likely try to add to my collection of his works, especially more of his chamber works, and operas.

:)

That doesn't look like you  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"