Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on November 04, 2014, 05:19:23 PM
C'est moi. I am teasing a friend in Detroit, who cannot get her favourite beer, Kilkenny, by holding a Kilkenny tap.

Ken, you look somewhat similar to Allan Pettersson. I'm sure you're not as depressed as he was though. ;) ;D

Karl Henning

Tough call, day after Election Day . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on November 05, 2014, 06:31:21 AM
Tough call, day after Election Day . . . .
Meh. I try not to let the best be the enemy of the good. Yes, some democrat senators were re-elected, but I'm trying not to let that harsh my mellow.

:P 8) :)

Mirror Image

Frankly, it's no surprise that the Republicans mopped the floor with the Democrats this time around. Speaking as a someone who falls right in the center of the two parities, I think people are just tired of Obama and basically want to keep him in-check. Now that he has a Republican House and Senate, he might as well hibernate until his term is over because they're not going to let anything through. :)

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2014, 06:59:18 PM
Frankly, it's no surprise that the Republicans mopped the floor with the Democrats this time around. Speaking as a someone who falls right in the center of the two parities, I think people are just tired of Obama and basically want to keep him in-check. Now that he has a Republican House and Senate, he might as well hibernate until his term is over because they're not going to let anything through. :)
Which is bad for the whole nation regardless of party affiliation. Gridlock in the congress/senate has been getting way too common over the last two decades.   :(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on November 05, 2014, 08:36:35 PM
Which is bad for the whole nation regardless of party affiliation. Gridlock in the congress/senate has been getting way too common over the last two decades.   :(

I recommend the book Demosclerosis by Rauch. Public Choice theory used to explain perpetual gridlock and a few other bad aspects of modern American government.

TheGSMoeller

Still the Monkey King.
Juuuust in case any of you were wondering.

Respect.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

While of course nothing can quite match the understated elegance and symbolic depth of a simple straight razor ... I do like your avatars ZauberdrachenNr.7, especially the vintage autos with dragon drivers. Must have been quite a trend back in 1919 or so, with so many dragon-filled advertisements!

Mirror Image

I'm pretty satisfied with my avatar: the Wang Computer of composers. ::) ;D

Fagotterdämmerung

Degas' L'Absinthe ... with an uninvited guest.  0:)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2014, 03:44:11 PM
I'm pretty satisfied with my avatar: the Wang Computer of composers. ::) ;D

I like the hat. I only wear broad brimmed hats or British flat caps. Baseball caps never and tuques never ever.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on December 08, 2014, 03:52:34 PM
I like the hat. I only wear broad brimmed hats or British flat caps. Baseball caps never and tuques never ever.

I'll occasionally sport a baseball cap or a flat cap.

Lisztianwagner

For Christmas, Santa Karajan.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ZauberdrachenNr.7

No fezzes?!  "Fezzes are cool," sez Dr. Who, though I've yet to buy one myself, though one can readily find them.

Baseball caps for lawn work; broad-brimmed hats for sunny walks; berets (I've several of different persuasions) for social events or when feeling existential which is much of the time.

EigenUser

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 10, 2014, 03:48:47 AM
No fezzes?!  "Fezzes are cool," sez Dr. Who, though I've yet to buy one myself, though one can readily find them.

Baseball caps for lawn work; broad-brimmed hats for sunny walks; berets (I've several of different persuasions) for social events or when feeling existential which is much of the time.
Steve Reich is nearly always seen wearing a baseball cap: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22steve+reich%22&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YEGIVIL7LsqagwT-noDADw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=644

Come to think of it, he looks a little bit like an American version of Pierre Boulez...
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

André

You wouldn't want to be tuqueless in the canadian winter. You probably live in a mild climate  8)

North Star

Quote from: André on December 10, 2014, 04:25:04 PM
You wouldn't want to be tuqueless in the canadian winter. You probably live in a mild climate  8)
Indeed.
I wonder how well these sell, though. :D

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr