Identify Your Avatar

Started by George, April 14, 2007, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: jochanaan on December 02, 2015, 07:43:53 PM
Eine Deutsches...! ;D 8) ;D

Had the time of my life, in a Requiem, no less!!!
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on December 02, 2015, 09:47:16 PM
Had the time of my life, in a Requiem, no less!!!

An exquisite work to be a part of!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Time for an avatar change. I notice that some members have an image of themselves as their avatar, and I've still a photo of myself on this Tablet I'm posting from. So perhaps I'll go that route.

e: you have been warned.  ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

André

Mine is an Acer saccharum. I love that tree.

kishnevi

A slight mystery explained.   There are two threads with this name.
Therefore, lest a handsome devil be lot utterly to sight.
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,58.msg938824.html#msg938824

kishnevi

Quote from: NikF on December 18, 2015, 05:13:48 AM
Time for an avatar change. I notice that some members have an image of themselves as their avatar, and I've still a photo of myself on this Tablet I'm posting from. So perhaps I'll go that route.

e: you have been warned.  ;D

I would suggest that the current image is, compared to young Pollini, an upgrade in looks.   A certain rugged handsomeness....

NikF

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 18, 2015, 09:30:18 AM

I would suggest that the current image is, compared to young Pollini, an upgrade in looks.   A certain rugged handsomeness....

Thank you. And I'll return the compliment by saying that in your current avatar you are wearing that Santa hat with style and perhaps even a soupçon of "Ho, ho, ho!"
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

kishnevi

Time to put Santa back in the closet.

Currently, a photo off Flickr.  Location should be obvious.

Bogey

Not really sure.  Some say these pinbacks were given out at some party after the premiere of The African Queen in Hollywood.  It sold for about $30 on ebay recently and I just liked its looks.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Bogey on December 27, 2015, 04:15:32 PM
Not really sure.  Some say these pinbacks were given out at some party after the premiere of The African Queen in Hollywood.  It sold for about $30 on ebay recently and I just liked its looks.

I'm sorry I didn't keep Kennedy badges back then.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Mirror Image

My current avatar is Anton Bruckner. A visionary composer who actually looks like he should be working a newsstand in NYC. 8)

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2016, 12:40:43 PM
My current avatar is Anton Bruckner. A visionary composer who actually looks like he should be working a newsstand in NYC. 8)

I had noticed the change immediately and had wondered why you had dumped Carl for Anton  :laugh:

Will Antonín be next?  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on June 20, 2016, 12:47:58 PM
I had noticed the change immediately and had wondered why you had dumped Carl for Anton  :laugh:

Will Antonín be next?  ;)

Well, my recent transversal into Bruckner's sound-world via HvK and the Berliners really ignited something inside of me. I'm going to try and leave Bruckner up until September 4th (his birthday). Also, dumped seems like such a harsh word. We all know I love Nielsen. Perhaps Dvorak will be next after Anton. :)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2016, 12:54:26 PM
Well, my recent transversal into Bruckner's sound-world via HvK and the Berliners really ignited something inside of me. I'm going to try and leave Bruckner up until September 4th (his birthday). Also, dumped seems like such a harsh word. We all know I love Nielsen. Perhaps Dvorak will be next after Anton. :)

Dumped is the mot juste . Also trashed, flushed, abandoned, forsook, spurned, wiped, erased.

Imagine how poor Shosty feels now! At least he ain't lonely.

;) :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on June 20, 2016, 03:50:35 PM
Dumped is the mot juste . Also trashed, flushed, abandoned, forsook, spurned, wiped, erased.

Imagine how poor Shosty feels now! At least he ain't lonely.

;) :laugh:

Hah! :P In my defense, Bruckner has been my avatar before. I'm not sure for how long. There have been many composers left out in the cold in my tyrannical search for that chosen composer with the golden halo. ;) ;D

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2016, 12:54:26 PM

Yes, I can well understand that; I also think that HvK is a fine interpreter of Bruckner. Continued enjoyment  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on June 21, 2016, 08:18:03 AM
Yes, I can well understand that; I also think that HvK is a fine interpreter of Bruckner. Continued enjoyment  ;)

8)

NikF

At the moment my avatar image is of Jose Ferrer as Cyrano de Bergerac. It's the cover shot of the theatre programme from (I think) the late 1940s. While I don't collect such things as a rule I do have a small number of bits and pieces of theatre ephemera.  But back to old Cyrano - and what a fraidy cat he was. He should have made his feelings for Roxane clearly known from the outset.
Anyway, if you haven't seen the film, try and catch the performance of Ferrer. But even if it's too old hat for you, if you're a photographer or are simply interested in the way things look you might find the use of the 'Garutso Balanced Lens' which offered a larger depth of field than that usually seen during the 1940s (apart from such as Citizen Kane, of course) worth your time. Or not. ;D
In any case, my current avatar -

"...my white plume!"

André

All french canadian teenage boys of my generation learned the famous 'nose tirade' in school (I believe I was in grade 9). It was part of the curriculum back then  ::)

http://rencontresfrancoanglaise.blogspot.ca/2011/01/la-tirade-des-nez.html