USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 06, 2021, 05:55:45 PM
I heard a Trumpist say they must have been undercover Antifa wearing MAGA hats.

Proof? Some of them were wearing black.

This, and most likely Trump people (such as Cruz) will be engaging in massive false equivalencies, such as that thse riots kind of balance the Portland riots (remember? the one where the whole city was supposedly torn down by antifa, even though the city's still there?).

MusicTurner

#45 now trying to buy time (with success?) and working for some free space, in the coming weeks.

Says there'll be a peaceful transition, repeats fraud views, and ..."While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it's only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!"

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1347103015493361664

I'm somewhat amazed by the slowness in parts of the system. Did not hear #45's afternoon speech, but followed various journalists' live twitter reports and comments (one of the better-informed ones is https://twitter.com/SethAbramson). #45 mentioned a march to the Capitol from early on, and even the first time, the later, chaotic scenes could be seen as a likely turn of events.

#45 instigated the seizure, and he was at first enthusiastic about it, reports now say. He also delayed the National Guard, Pence seems to have authorized it. Giuliani tried for Congress to start further delays, but he left his message on the wrong senator's phone, and it was then leaked ... you can't make this stuff up.

And BTW policemen have been filmed opening the fences for the mob on the stairs, and at least one of them joining their selfies ...

A positive thing is that nowadays, practically all individuals, movements and developments can be identified and mapped, via the social media footage etc., by the authorities and the press. Lots of participants filmed their own crimes and activities. Even Bellingcat, for instance, skilled in such work, seems to have initiated a project for it.

T. D.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/mick-mulvaney-resigns-from-trump-administration-expects-others-to-follow.html

WASHINGTON — Mick Mulvaney, President Donald Trump's former chief of staff, told CNBC on Thursday he has resigned as special U.S. envoy to Northern Ireland.

"I called [Secretary of State] Mike Pompeo last night to let him know I was resigning from that. I can't do it. I can't stay," Mick Mulvaney said in an exclusive interview on "Squawk Box."

"Those who choose to stay, and I have talked with some of them, are choosing to stay because they're worried the president might put someone worse in," Mulvaney said. But he said other officials may resign after Wednesday's riot at the U.S. Capitol.

An administration official confirmed to CNBC's Eamon Javers that National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien was considering resigning over the insurrection. O'Brien's deputy, Matthew Pottinger, has reportedly resigned. Stephanie Grisham, chief of staff for first lady Melania Trump, and Sarah Matthews, White House deputy press secretary, resigned Wednesday.

"We didn't sign up for what you saw last night," Mulvaney said.
Mulvaney, a former congressman from South Carolina and a tea party favorite, also had served as director of the Office of Management and Budget and director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in the Trump administration.

arpeggio

There has been a lot of activity in this forum over the past few days.  I really do not have the time to check all of the activity here.  I have not had the time to review every post.

I would like to mention over a year ago I expressed concerns that something like what had happened yesterday could occur.  Some of the more prominent conservatives here accused me of being paranoid.

Karl Henning

Quote from: arpeggio on January 07, 2021, 07:08:43 AM
There has been a lot of activity in this forum over the past few days.  I really do not have the time to check all of the activity here.  I have not had the time to review every post.

I would like to mention over a year ago I expressed concerns that something like what had happened yesterday could occur.  Some of the more prominent conservatives here accused me of being paranoid.

Although loth to consider the possibility, not even the Brain Trust can be right all the time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Jon Farina's footage is badass! Jordan Chariton gave him a bonus for it. Yesterday I watched David Pakman's lifestream when things happened and he was watching Status Coup's stream by Jon Farina. David called it a Trumpist stream and got massive backlash for it. Jordan Chariton was really pissed off and David apologized. How David Pakman didn't know Status Coup is amazing!  :o

Man, I am trying so hard to not follow US politics and then this happens! I didn't sleep last night!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Herman

Indeed, we were ridiculed by Mr the Facts Are Mine for being deranged.

JBS

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 07, 2021, 01:09:46 AM
#45 now trying to buy time (with success?) and working for some free space, in the coming weeks.

Says there'll be a peaceful transition, repeats fraud views, and ..."While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it's only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!"

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1347103015493361664

I'm somewhat amazed by the slowness in parts of the system. Did not hear #45's afternoon speech, but followed various journalists' live twitter reports and comments (one of the better-informed ones is https://twitter.com/SethAbramson). #45 mentioned a march to the Capitol from early on, and even the first time, the later, chaotic scenes could be seen as a likely turn of events.

#45 instigated the seizure, and he was at first enthusiastic about it, reports now say. He also delayed the National Guard, Pence seems to have authorized it. Giuliani tried for Congress to start further delays, but he left his message on the wrong senator's phone, and it was then leaked ... you can't make this stuff up.

And BTW policemen have been filmed opening the fences for the mob on the stairs, and at least one of them joining their selfies ...

A positive thing is that nowadays, practically all individuals, movements and developments can be identified and mapped, via the social media footage etc., by the authorities and the press. Lots of participants filmed their own crimes and activities. Even Bellingcat, for instance, skilled in such work, seems to have initiated a project for it.

Someone posted a Tiktok showing the mob overwhelming police and forcing there way in. Another showed a police officer (who was black, probably a very relevant detail here) being forced up an interior stairway by members of the mob. So obviously not all Capitol police reacted the same way.

A point that may get lost: the DC police is under the control of the city (Mayor Bowser). They are not responsible for security on the Capitol grounds: that's the Capitol Police, who are part of the Federal government, and the upper levels of their chain of command are directly or indirectly Trump appointments.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Herman

It's pretty clear these Trumpists in command of the Capitol police had made sure they would be understaffed and underequipped for the day. Out of the same playbook as underequipping medics in the beginning of the epidemic.

Apparently it was Pence who called for the National Guard, because Trump has not been engaged with any gvt business since late October. It's either watching himself on TV or playing golf.

JBS

Quote from: Herman on January 07, 2021, 08:15:26 AM
It's pretty clear these Trumpists in command of the Capitol police had made sure they would be understaffed and underequipped for the day. Out of the same playbook as underequipping medics in the beginning of the epidemic.

Apparently it was Pence who called for the National Guard, because Trump has not been engaged with any gvt business since late October. It's either watching himself on TV or playing golf.

It's also quite possible that since Trumpworld thinks only leftists riot, they convinced themselves that all the threats were just blather and didn't think there would be an actual riot (or would act like the antilockdown ones in Michigan, who scared the heck out of everyone and shouted, but didn't actively interfere [if my memory is correct] with the legislature doing its business).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

MusicTurner

- "Trump supporters planned their assault on the Capitol in plain sight - but DC police were unprepared". A good piece.
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-supporter-on-the-capitol/

- clearly understaffed police, "the moment it all began":
https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/1347028917685800961

- A lot of the protagonists have already been identified and described by the media. They are long-time activists and openly declared fans of #45.

- Impeachment and 25th Amendment procedures being worked upon, but it's unclear, if they'll succeed.

- #45 allegedly heading for Camp David in the weekend. Some wild rumours also about him being elsewhere too.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on January 07, 2021, 08:24:22 AM
It's also quite possible that since Trumpworld thinks only leftists riot, they convinced themselves that all the threats were just blather and didn't think there would be an actual riot (or would act like the antilockdown ones in Michigan, who scared the heck out of everyone and shouted, but didn't actively interfere [if my memory is correct] with the legislature doing its business).

Aye, the blinders in Trumpworld are something else.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

I'm sure they now see the light. Yet, I doubt they would ever come on here to admit it.

Karl Henning

To see the light, one must wish to see light.

Separately:

The new articles of impeachment circulating among House Judiciary Democrats argue that Trump committed high crimes and misdemeanors and violated his oath to defend the Constitution and faithfully execute the office of the presidency by inciting Wednesday's violence.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

The storming of Capitol Hill was organized on social media.

Just after 1 p.m., when President Trump ended his speech to protesters in Washington by calling for them to march on Congress, hundreds of echoing calls to storm the building were made by his supporters online.

On social media sites used by the far-right, such as Gab and Parler, directions on which streets to take to avoid the police and which tools to bring to help pry open doors were exchanged in comments. At least a dozen people posted about carrying guns into the halls of Congress.

Calls for violence against members of Congress and for pro-Trump movements to retake the Capitol building have been circulating online for months. Bolstered by Mr. Trump, who has courted fringe movements like QAnon and the Proud Boys, groups have openly organized on social media networks and recruited others to their cause.

On Gab, they documented going into the offices of members of Congress, including that of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Dozens posted about searching for Vice President Mike Pence, who had been the target of Mr. Trump's ire earlier in the day.

At 2:24 p.m., after Mr. Trump tweeted that Mr. Pence "didn't have the courage to do what should have been done," dozens of messages on Gab called for those inside the Capitol building to hunt down the vice president. In videos uploaded to the channel, protesters could be heard chanting "Where is Pence?"
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

T. D.

First Cabinet-level resignation:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-07/transportation-secretary-elaine-chao-resigns-in-wake-of-protests
McConnell's wife, Transportation

And

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-polices-tepid-response-to-the-capitol-breach-wasnt-an-aberration/

From The Nation: "This is not America," a woman said to a small group, her voice shaking. "They're shooting at us. They're supposed to shoot BLM, but they're shooting the patriots."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-07/trump-rioters-weren-t-policed-like-blm-protesters

Horrified onlookers could not help but notice the striking contrast between the police response to Trump's insurrection and the hard fist that met Black Lives Matter protests in June. During largely peaceful protests on June 1, D.C. police officers arrested 289 people, with federal officers tear-gassing demonstrators in Lafayette Square to clear the way for Trump's infamous Bible photo-op at St. John's Episcopal Church. By comparison, local police in Washington, D.C., who secured the Capitol grounds on Wednesday and enforced the 6 p.m. citywide curfew have made only 68 arrests as of Thursday morning.

During a press conference Wednesday, D.C. Police Chief Robert Contee III defended the number of arrests. "As far as the Metropolitan Police Department's response, I'm very comfortable with that," Contee said. "We had to contain the situation that we were dealing with and the moment we were able to contain the situation, [police] were able to make arrests."

Other scenes illustrated the chasm in the police response: A TikTok clip appeared to show Capitol Police opening barricades for pro-Trump agitators. One officer in riot gear helped a Trump supporter down the steps. Even as police fired tear gas and flash grenades into the churning crowd, others gave departing Trump supporters directions to their cars or hotels. This reporter overheard a Capitol Police officer apologize, unprompted, to would-be insurrectionists as they left the still-chaotic scene at the Capitol grounds: "Sorry about all of this. Thanks for your patience."

Perhaps the most striking disparity between the two events was the response from the White House. In June, Trump was eager to use the Insurrection Act to deploy some 10,000 troops to Washington and other cities to suppress Black Lives Matter demonstrations. Yesterday, when an actual insurrection arrived, his message was different. To the rioters ransacking the Capitol, in a video message since deleted by Twitter and Facebook, Trump said, "I love you."

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: T. D. on January 07, 2021, 10:23:02 AM
First Cabinet-level resignation:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-07/transportation-secretary-elaine-chao-resigns-in-wake-of-protests
McConnell's wife, Transportation
(...)

Some are pointing out that Chao's resignation also means an escape for her, in any discussions in the cabinet about forcing #45 to resign, including that of the 25th amendment.

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 07, 2021, 10:29:20 AM
Watching CNN at the moment.  Nancy Pelosi is speaking.  Congress may go forth with impeachment if 25th amendment isn't invoked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pelosi-if-trump-not-removed-under-25th-amendment-congress-may-go-forward-with-impeachment/2021/01/07/f4de910e-511c-11eb-a1f5-fdaf28cfca90_story.html

From what I've read, the 25th Amendment is too murky to work. Intended for medical situations.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-07/does-the-25th-amendment-apply-to-trump-quite-possibly
"Impairment" is not precisely defined.

And impeachment won't pass.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on January 07, 2021, 10:38:07 AM
From what I've read, the 25th Amendment is too murky to work. Intended for medical situations.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-07/does-the-25th-amendment-apply-to-trump-quite-possibly
"Impairment" is not precisely defined.

And impeachment won't pass.
Well, medical also includes mental health issues, non?  And after what happened yesterday and his role in it, maybe?  :-\  One can hope anyway....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter