Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

A very powerful banner ad. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ludwigii

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Todd

California passed a law limiting the sale of certain types of "assault weapons" (ie, semi-automatic rifles with "high capacity" clips).  The law went into effect 1/1/17.  The very craft legislators put in place regulations pertaining to stocks, pistol grips, and flash suppressors.  The Colt AR-15 is a popular rifle that was one of the high profile targets of the legislation. 

Original AR-15:

Fans of this weapon have come up with modifications that make the weapon conform to the law.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

This made me laugh a LOT (click to enlarge)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Todd on February 05, 2017, 08:16:46 AM(ie, semi-automatic rifles with "high capacity" clips

Not clips, magazines. Hollywood always gets this wrong too.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Todd

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 06, 2017, 03:54:27 PM
Not clips, magazines. Hollywood always gets this wrong too.

Round these parts, people use the words clip and magazine interchangeably, or did when I used to target shoot frequently a couple decades ago.  Maybe things have changed, or maybe it's a regional/military thing.  I know the strict usage would be clip for something like an M1 and magazine for something like an AR15 (or M16), but common usage often doesn't make such distinctions.  But I'm sure you knew that.

NikF

This is from a book titled (I think) 'Discovering Japan' from the second half of the 1980s, by Ed van der Elsken. There's also a cool collection from the mid-50s featuring jazz musicians which I might have a copy of.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

Feminism in action. Fight the powers that be!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

We're going down that route are we, Ken B? :)

Here's someone I admire:

kishnevi

Or this lady, Sarah Schenirer, who probably did more to advance women than any of the Swedish ladies, simply through teaching girls, at that time and place a radical idea

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Hadn't heard of Sarah Schenirer before. Fascinating! Thanks for posting. :)

Ken B

Quote from: jessop on February 12, 2017, 07:25:38 PM
Hadn't heard of Sarah Schenirer before. Fascinating! Thanks for posting. :)
Ditto.

Mirror Image

Some photos of Barber I think are quite good:

Todd

Spineur

This one is for Thefabulousalian

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ludwigii

Pablo Ruiz Picasso : Death of Casagemas (1901)

The artist`s friend Casagemas shot himself in a Parisian café in 1901. It is commonly believed that this profoundly affected Picasso and started his "Blue period".
"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

NikF

Guy Bourdin. 1970s.

Selling the product without it being front and centre. Glamour and desirability as part of a narrative that's almost the antithesis of their earlier, traditional representations via Conde Nast. I love that.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

NikF