Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Todd

Not so much for the painting, which isn't really to my taste, but for the ROI it represents.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

A cool picture of Rorschach from the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons series Watchmen:

André

It's impossible not to recognize a Basquiat at first sight. Besides being strikingly original, it's probably why his paintings fetch such high prices (110.5M$ at Sotheby's this week for this work).

greg

Quote from: André on May 21, 2017, 10:13:32 AM
It's impossible not to recognize a Basquiat at first sight. Besides being strikingly original, it's probably why his paintings fetch such high prices (110.5M$ at Sotheby's this week for this work).
It's kinda cool, but I've seen far more original artworks just going to the local art museum. This just looks like graffiti art.

André

That's what it is, actually ! His street art is just the same as this.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

My favourite street artist goes by the name of Roa

I also enjoy the works of this street artist here in Melbourne called who calls herself Kaffeine

And Makatron is very cool too

kishnevi

Ghost Sonata

I took this at our Renaissance Faire several years ago, my best photo from the bestest of times :
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Todd

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Florestan

As photoshpped as it gets, but still, I like the concept.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

The Simpsons are now a diplomatic tool.  The Ukrainians tweeted this gif with the line "You really don't change, do you?"

Henk

NikF

I'm packing up a lot of my books and as usual got sidetracked... ;D

Although I haven't heard the term used in decades, this is an example of what some photographers used to call a 'warning sign'. Picture editors and assistant art directors used to love it because although it was obvious to them it was less so to the public.

In the most basic form three red points would roughly indicate some form of a triangle (although I think in some places - North America? Australia? - warning signs are diamond shaped?) as shown in these examples (roughly indicate, I said) by Norman Parkinson. Incidentally, old Parky was sometimes considered rather staid, less than hip, a jumped up society snapper. But he did good work to the standard required on a consistent basis. It's just that although nowhere near as bad as it is now, even back then there were many photographers - both pro and amateur - who were jealous dicks.

Anyway, the 'warning sign' or red triangle. Just as my boss did years ago I carry a ballpoint pen with a red barrel for a model to hold in case I want to take a photo when she already has red lips and fingernails. Or a red bag and scarf etc.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Balanchine and some of his dancers. I think that's Gelsey Kirkland on the right, but I don't recognise the others. Anyone?
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

bwv 1080

Mirror Image

The Frippster doin' what he does best: