Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on December 12, 2019, 12:10:18 PMHonestly, at first sight  it appeared to me as bleak.

Full disclosure: I love sunshine and summer and I can't stand rain/snow and deep winter.

It is, absolutely it is. I never  heard about Alexei Savrasov before and that's why I said it was a nice find. But in my book there's no contradiction between beautiful and bleak. Beauty is truth and truth is beauty --- and truth is not always pleasant.

I agree, but then again could you give us an example of false --- as opposed to real ---  Rachmaninov?

Well, I'm using real as an adjective. I don't believe there's such a thing as a false Rachmaninov. My point, poorly expressed obviously, was that despite there being jovial moments in his music, that, for me, his true emotional core was that of someone of perpetual longing for something whether it be his homeland and the memories he made there or something else that happened in his life that had shook him to his core --- I just get this feeling in his music. Of course, as I said, there are moments of sunlit opulence, but those moments seem to give way to this yearning. Of course, this is my own subjective opinion and what I hear in the music. Whether it's true or not is not for me to say. Winter happens to be my favorite time of the year, but us Georgians don't really have much a winter like our Northern neighbors, so perhaps this is why I love it so much? :D

André

There's a Marcel Gromaire exhibition in Sète, France.

I had never heard of him but his paintings strike a chord. Not least for their great cd art cover potential  :)

La déshumanisation des soldats (The Dehumanization of Soldiers)

Les buveurs de bière (Beer Drinkers)

Les contrebandiers (Smugglers)

Girls 1929

dissily Mordentroge

CD cover potential?
Well at a stretch I can see this one used for Swan Lake.
'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies'?

Carlo Gesualdo

Well picture I like , well I like this dragon lady okay, she might be the prettiest of her species Yum, I'm a man sorry, I'm not made of wood sorry once again hahaha

greg

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on December 14, 2019, 12:08:56 PM
Well picture I like , well I like this dragon lady okay, she might be the prettiest of her species Yum, I'm a man sorry, I'm not made of wood sorry once again hahaha
who dat is?
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Carlo Gesualdo

just some cute has hell lady that I crave, she will remain anonymous for now...

dissily Mordentroge

Well I'm a man too who lusts over men with red beards.

SimonNZ

I deduct points for tattoos.

And joke sized falsies.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 14, 2019, 02:56:01 PM

And joke sized falsies.
You must be seriously traumatised when you first encountered gigantic tattooed falsies.
Me, I have no particular objection to tattoos as long as they have 'artistic merit' and aren't installed on a gentleman's ****. YUK
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
For some reason I was traumatised in my early years by the sculpture of Laacoon and Sons. As an adult I still find it disturbing and have to repress thoughts of something sub-conscious at work besides the portrayal of a mythological scene. Apparently Freud had some peculiar theories about the work, but then again he had peculiar theories about almost everything.

greg

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 14, 2019, 02:56:01 PM

And joke sized falsies.
I kinda agree... and while there is some appeal, I'm not sure what to think, really.  ;D
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ken B

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 14, 2019, 03:05:24 PM
You must be seriously traumatised when you first encountered gigantic tattooed falsies.
Me, I have no particular objection to tattoos as long as they have 'artistic merit' and aren't installed on a gentleman's ****. YUK
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
For some reason I was traumatised in my early years by the sculpture of Laacoon and Sons. As an adult I still find it disturbing and have to repress thoughts of something sub-conscious at work besides the portrayal of a mythological scene. Apparently Freud had some peculiar theories about the work, but then again he had peculiar theories about just about everything.

Tidbit. I was the last member of the public to see that statue for several years. We were in the museum when they put a tarp on it and wheeled it away for restoration. It was out of view for several years.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Ken B on December 14, 2019, 04:02:29 PM
Tidbit. I was the last member of the public to see that statue for several years. We were in the museum when they put a tarp on it and wheeled it away for restoration. It was out of view for several years.
I'm interested to hear what your reaction to it was.

George

Tree trimming day. My favorite ornament.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Ken B

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 14, 2019, 04:16:18 PM
I'm interested to hear what your reaction to it was.
I didn't really get long enough to have a reaction. We were there literally less than 2 minutes before it was covered! I liked it. Wife didn't even get to see it, she was looking at something else.

The statue I liked most was the bronze boxer. https://www.google.com/search?q=bronze%20boxer&client=puffin-a&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#imgrc=s84G6zm5A8aOWM:  Seen up close it's amazing. I also really like Bernini.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Ken B on December 14, 2019, 04:36:05 PM
I didn't really get long enough to have a reaction. We were there literally less than 2 minutes before it was covered! I liked it. Wife didn't even get to see it, she was looking at something else.

The statue I liked most was the bronze boxer. https://www.google.com/search?q=bronze%20boxer&client=puffin-a&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#imgrc=s84G6zm5A8aOWM:  Seen up close it's amazing. I also really like Bernini.
It disturbed me as I took. those 'bracelets' on his hands to be weapons of a very vicious kind. But then again I've always found the 'sport' of boxing disturbing.
Yes, I know it builds character etc. Strangely other martial arts such as karate I took to like a fish to water. Maybe because I had the hots for my instructor?
Bernini; a big yes from me despite the often strange erotic overtones.

Ken B

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 14, 2019, 06:27:30 PM
It disturbed me as I took. those 'bracelets' on his hands to be weapons of a very vicious kind. But then again I've always found the 'sport' of boxing disturbing.
Yes, I know it builds character etc. Strandly other martial arts such as karate I took to like a fish to water. Maybe because I had the hots for my instructor?
Bernini; a big yes from me despite the often strange erotic overtones.

Up close you can see the scars on the boxer.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

dissily Mordentroge

Continuing my obsession with the weird lot on, and struggling to gain, the throne in Great Britain.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on December 14, 2019, 12:08:56 PM

I personally don't care for the tattoos. She's also not really my cup of tea either. But, hey, if you like her, then that's all that matters right?

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 14, 2019, 08:05:08 PM
I personally don't care for the tattoos. She's also not really my cup of tea either. But, hey, if you like her, then that's all that matters right?
No, it also matters if she likes him - - - that is unless we're talking about a financial transaction.