Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 24, 2022, 09:25:54 AM
How do you "rush into a marriage" which someone you've been dating for more than 5 years? :)

Sporadically is the keyword here.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on January 24, 2022, 09:08:15 AM
For those inclined to take such bullshit seriously.  :laugh:
I was shocked to see that *The Globe had published it and in general surprised by the stories/details (hadn't heard those ones before now).  Was this actually published (dispersed) during Paganini's time?  Or folklore created shortly after he died?

*What did they preface the story/legend with Tony?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2022, 10:28:00 AM
I was shocked to see that *The Globe had published it and in general surprised by the stories/details (hadn't heard those ones before now). Was this actually published (dispersed) during Paganini's time?  Or folklore created shortly after he died?

I'd go with folklore created after he died.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Szykneij

Quote from: Florestan on January 24, 2022, 10:44:46 AM
I'd go with folklore created after he died.  ;)

It was created by a local writer and artist and appeared without any explanation in the "Ideas" section of the newspaper. I'm away from my computer and it's hard to investigate further on this ipad. I'll look into it more when I can.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 24, 2022, 09:25:54 AM
How do you "rush into a marriage" which someone you've been dating for more than 5 years? :)

The actual dating was about five weeks total, during those five years. We were seldom at home during that period. We attended different universities; then I was in the army while she spent a year in France.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

JBS

The story about Paganini appears in this biography published in 1907
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/39571/39571-h/39571-h.htm
There are apparently some medical journal articles which refer to his suffering from measles encephalitis, but they're subscription only/paywalled so I don't know what details they give. 

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Magritte 'Homesickness' (1940)
Corinth 'Ecce Homo' (c.1925)
Beckmann Departure (1933-35)

Some background info.

Magritte's painting was painted in Nazi occupied Belgium during a period when his wife Georgette had (temporarily) left him for another man. I find the painting very moving for various reasons.
Corinth's painting shows Christ between the forces of Science and Militarism; unsurprisingly it featured in the Nazi exhibition of 'Degenerate Art' although Corinth had died some years earlier. Beckmann's painting was painted in Nazi Germany and it's clearly about what was going on in the country. I like the contrast between the disturbing scenes in the side panels of the triptych and the peaceful central scene where an anonymous boatman rows a family to safety. Beckmann left Nazi Germany for the United States as soon as he could. To avoid possible trouble he called the painting 'Scenes from Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' originally. I've see the Beckmann and Corinth in real life which were great experiences for me. The Beckmann and Corinth paintings are both very large.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

My three favorite Swiss composers:

Arthur Honegger

Frank Martin

Othmar Schoeck

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2022, 11:08:44 AM
My three favorite Swiss composers:

Arthur Honegger

Frank Martin

Othmar Schoeck

Great photos!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2022, 10:17:27 AM

Some background info.

Magritte's painting was painted in Nazi occupied Belgium during a period when his wife Georgette had (temporarily) left him for another man. I find the painting very moving for various reasons.
Corinth's painting shows Christ between the forces of Science and Militarism; unsurprisingly it featured in the Nazi exhibition of 'Degenerate Art' although Corinth had died some years earlier. Beckmann's painting was painted in Nazi Germany and it's clearly about what was going on in the country. I like the contrast between the disturbing scenes in the side panels of the triptych and the peaceful central scene where an anonymous boatman rows a family to safety. Beckmann left Nazi Germany for the United States as soon as he could. To avoid possible trouble he called the painting 'Scenes from Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' originally. I've see the Beckmann and Corinth in real life which were great experiences for me. The Beckmann and Corinth paintings are both very large.

Don't think I've ever seen that Magritte before.

The Corinth is used on the cover of the copy of Thomas Mann's The Holy Sinner I've got.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2022, 12:35:19 PM
Great photos!

Thanks, Jeffrey. I wish I could take credit for them. ;)

Szykneij

Quote from: JBS on January 25, 2022, 04:01:47 PM
The story about Paganini appears in this biography published in 1907
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/39571/39571-h/39571-h.htm
There are apparently some medical journal articles which refer to his suffering from measles encephalitis, but they're subscription only/paywalled so I don't know what details they give.

Excellent find! Thanks for posting that link.

"Little Nicolo must have given[6] evidence of musical talent very early, but ere he was put to his studies he was attacked by the measles, and that so severely that he remained for a whole day in a state of catalepsy. He was given up for dead and was wrapped in a shroud, and only a slight movement at the last, showing symptoms of life, saved him from the horror of premature burial. Scarcely had he recovered, when his father began his lessons in violin playing."
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

greg

That's a cool image, as well as the stuff I'm seeing on his site.

Almost reminds me of the type of liminal spaces I'm seeing in a game I was just playing last night, Naissance.

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2022, 10:17:27 AM

Some background info.

Great paintings; thank you for sharing them and providing some info about them.

Quote from: Mandryka on January 28, 2022, 04:18:32 AM

Inside a cello - Charles Brooks.

https://www.charlesbrooks.info/

Very cool Mandryka!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Iota

Quote from: Mandryka on January 28, 2022, 04:18:32 AM

Inside a cello - Charles Brooks.

https://www.charlesbrooks.info/

Terrific pic! Could be some underground vault with ornate skylights.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Iota on January 28, 2022, 09:24:17 AM
Terrific pic! Could be some underground vault with ornate skylights.
I briefly looked at the artist's website.  From what I read, he took numerous pictures to create this image.

I wouldn't mind having that "room" be a part out my house!  :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter