Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modUltralaser

modUltralaser

modUltralaser

modUltralaser

modUltralaser

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

modUltralaser

modUltralaser

modUltralaser

This may be my current favorite piece of architecture: House of Soviets

modUltralaser

Parsifal

Quote from: Philo (Artist formerly known as) on August 12, 2013, 08:41:36 PM
This may be my current favorite piece of architecture: House of Soviets

The geometry reminds me on this site.  AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ. 

When I visited there, in its heyday, there were no vines growing across the carpet in the atrium.  I wonder if there are any larger abandoned buildings in North America.

modUltralaser

Quote from: Scarpia on August 12, 2013, 09:30:59 PM
The geometry reminds me on this site.  AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ. 

When I visited there, in its heyday, there were no vines growing across the carpet in the atrium.  I wonder if there are any larger abandoned buildings in North America.

Envious. I'd wager there are buildings abandoned in the US but probably not on that scale.

DavidW

There are a couple of abandoned skyscrapers in Detroit, a half abandoned city.

modUltralaser

Quote from: DavidW on August 13, 2013, 02:40:45 AM
There are a couple of abandoned skyscrapers in Detroit, a half abandoned city.

True. Doesn't even look real any more.

Opus106

Quote from: Scarpia on August 12, 2013, 09:30:59 PM
I wonder if there are any larger abandoned buildings in North America.

The abandoned site of what-would-have-been the Superconducting Super Collider in Texas might fit your bill. Any single building may not be as big you are looking for, but considering the scale of the project, it's a ghost town.
Regards,
Navneeth

Parsifal

Quote from: Opus106 on August 13, 2013, 06:39:57 AM
The abandoned site of what-would-have-been the Superconducting Super Collider in Texas might fit your bill. Any single building may not be as big you are looking for, but considering the scale of the project, it's a ghost town.

That's an interesting comparison and contrast (Bell Labs was one of the most active research centers in the world for decades and the SSC was abandoned before it was complete).  I'm not sure which one is physically larger.