TD
Carmen Dell'Orefice

She is 83.
Looks more like 87 to me. (hands)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 15, 2015, 06:10:44 PM
Never read what Dickens said about it, but to me Jesus looks like the spoiled self satisfied brat who is used to, and likes, being the center of attention, while  John the not yet Baptist on the right looks like he is scared of Jesus. Or else about to emulate Oliver Twist's "please, sir, may I have some more?" moment.

Yes. It's also very kitschy. Normal Rockwell avant la lettre. But lacking Rockwell's charm.

Ok, I'll say it: in this case, Boulez has a point. All of Millais actually.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Gordo on April 16, 2015, 04:05:39 AM
I tend to agree with Jeffrey. I feel certain Dickensian flavor there.

Dickensian or merely the spirit of the age, I don't know.

Maybe Dickens' reaction "is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass."  :)

Dickens raged about many things, this painting was no exception. Even though many of his fictional works send loving, world-embracing, even diabetes-tasting message, then you have things in real life like Dickens boasting about Mrs. Gaskell, a female author, that if he were her husband, he would feel compelled to "beat her". To quote Peter Ackroyd's biography: "So much for Dickens's stance on rights of the women." There are even worse aspects of Dickens "the Dick" such as warmly suggesting genocide when hearing about Indian rebellion of 1857, treating his wife like dirt because Dickens had an affair, etc. Although, for what it's worth he actually encouraged female authors, the problems came when those said authors didn't write like he wanted. Often in geniuses there is to be found unhealthy amount of egoism and control freakiness. Or even just being, you know, rather awful human beings.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on April 17, 2015, 04:19:03 AM
[...] Although, for what it's worth he actually encouraged female authors, the problems came when those said authors didn't write like he wanted.

There's a lot of this sort of thing about (see the Stockhausen & Boulez threads  8) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The Six

Ken B

Quote from: The Six on April 19, 2015, 09:50:34 AM

I'm not sure if I hope that's real or if I hope it's a hoax.

Todd

The future . . . Now!!
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The Six

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Ken B

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

pjme

Schmidt Rottluff

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ibanezmonster