Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Other Karsh portraits...

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Remarkable series of portraits. Audrey actually looks rather unattractive there.

But I like the particular application of a general rule: Canadians are always to be admired.  >:D

George

(from above)

I really like this one.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Wakefield

Remarkable series of portraits, no doubt. But I have this observation: all of them are like perfect official portraits of the "personage," but they don't say anything new about the "human being." I mean, it seems that the photographer caught just what the subject wanted to show, not a single millimetre beyond that... 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Quote from: pjme on August 12, 2015, 08:19:59 AM
...et les femmes...

Pablo Picasso

She wasn't from Avignon, I presume.

kishnevi

Quote from: Gordo on August 12, 2015, 02:50:16 PM
Remarkable series of portraits, no doubt. But I have this observation: all of them are like perfect official portraits of the "personage," but they don't say anything new about the "human being." I mean, it seems that the photographer caught just what the subject wanted to show, not a single millimetre beyond that...

Not necessarily.  The Churchill is famous because Karsh grabbed the cigar out of his mouth just before snapping the photo,to make sure he got the seriously p.o.'d look Karsh wanted.

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on August 12, 2015, 02:50:16 PM
Well he aimed at flattery and accurate portrayal of the person, and their fame - which is much more than what other portrait photographers have done consistently. With that artistic goal, I am not sure what new he might have said with the portraits that would still be new to our eyes?

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on August 12, 2015, 11:44:26 PM
Well he aimed at flattery and accurate portrayal of the person, and their fame - which is much more than what other portrait photographers have done consistently. With that artistic goal, I am not sure what new he might have said with the portraits that would still be new to our eyes?
Yes. I think Karsh portrayed what Karsh wanted to portray. Look at the famous Hemingway portrait.

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on August 12, 2015, 11:41:27 AM
Other Karsh portraits...

Quite a few of these I saw while they were a special exhibit here at the MFA.  Beautiful portraiture, exquisite eye for the B/W medium.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on August 12, 2015, 11:54:39 AM
Remarkable series of portraits. Audrey actually looks rather unattractive there.

I'd say vulnerable rather than unattractive.  (But then, I'd also call the Mennin Eighth stunning rather than awful   8) )  Whether she was actually self-conscious about it or not, there is an amusing exchange between her & Gary Cooper in Love in the Afternoon, in which she inventories her physical "imperfections," including "... my neck's too long ...."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on August 13, 2015, 05:16:28 AM
I'd say vulnerable rather than unattractive.  (But then, I'd also call the Mennin Eighth stunning rather than awful   8) )  Whether she was actually self-conscious about it or not, there is an amusing exchange between her & Gary Cooper in Love in the Afternoon, in which she inventories her physical "imperfections," including "... my neck's too long ...."
There's also the composition's emphasis of some features to a degree that isn't necessarily attractive.

Quote from: karlhenning on August 13, 2015, 05:11:33 AMQuite a few of these I saw while they were a special exhibit here at the MFA.  Beautiful portraiture, exquisite eye for the B/W medium.
Absolutely, although I fancy that colour versions of the photographs would work, too - to the extent that colour works in portraits, anyway.

Quote from: Ken B on August 13, 2015, 04:49:12 AM
Yes. I think Karsh portrayed what Karsh wanted to portray. Look at the famous Hemingway portrait.
But Karsh certainly didn't portray something that wasn't there in the man.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on August 13, 2015, 05:47:11 AM
There's also the composition's emphasis of some features to a degree that isn't necessarily attractive.

Aye; and since the subject had ample glamor photography in her life, I am struck at the more candid tone of this portrait. (Is any portrait candid? 0:) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: North Star link=topic=304.msg914419#msg914419

But
b]Karsh[/b] certainly didn't portray something that wasn't there in the man.

Agreed. I'm agreeing with you, and disagreeing with Gordo. He said the portraits only present what the sitter chose. I think they show what Karsh chose to bring out.

Karl Henning

The Old Man and the Sweater
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on August 13, 2015, 06:54:37 AM
Agreed. I'm agreeing with you, and disagreeing with Gordo. He said the portraits only present what the sitter chose. I think they show what Karsh chose to bring out.
Good.  ;)
Quote from: karlhenning on August 13, 2015, 07:01:10 AM
The Old Man and the Sweater
Hah!

Seeing that I had the Tippet's book at an arm and a leg's reach:
Quote from: Maria Tippett, Portrait in Light And Shadow - The Life of Yousuf Karsh
After Karsh's portrait of Einstein appeared in publications and exhibitions around the world, future clients, notably Ernest Hemingway, also wanted to wear a sweater for their portrait. When Karsh arrived in Cuba in 1957 to photograph Hemingway, he had expected "to meet the author, the rugged hero of his novels." And when Hemingway asked Karsh what he wanted to drink, Karsh ignored the fact that it was 9 a.m. and, thinking that he would please his subject, answered "Daiquiri, Sir," to which Hemingway replied, "Good God, Karsh, at this hour of the day?" To Karsh's surprise, Hemingway also told him, "I don't drink while I write, for you cannot write serious stuff and drink." The man whom Karsh encountered exhibited a "peculiar gentleness" which led Karsh to call Hemingway "the shyest man I ever photographed."  Shy Hemingway might have been, but as Karsh's portrait of the author's line-worn face also revealed, he was "a man cruelly battered by life but seemingly invicible" -- or almost so, because four years later he would take his own life.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: HemingwayI don't drink while I write, for you cannot write serious stuff and drink.

But — and let us consider this an abstract hypothesis — what if what is written reads as if the author had been drinking while writing it?  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on August 13, 2015, 09:32:18 AM
But — and let us consider this an abstract hypothesis — what if what is written reads as if the author had been drinking while writing it?  0:)
Is it serious stuff then, though?

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

I'm getting better at drawing anime eyes... and also much better at figure drawing, though that still will be a ton of work.

Discovered Paint Tool Sai today, and wow, so much better than Photoshop for drawing and coloring.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

I really like this photo of Biden in today's WSJ in which he seems earnestly to be contemplating a path straight through a blurry, motley crowd of voters : to run or not to run, that is his question...

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Greg on August 13, 2015, 02:07:23 PM
I'm getting better at drawing anime eyes... and also much better at figure drawing, though that still will be a ton of work.

Keep at it - these are cool!