Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

And if anyone is interested in looking at my unguessed ones from January:

167 - ? A very well known ballet, better-known in the suite form, by an extremely important composer. Guessed by Sforzando - Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin
168 - ? The only vocal work for these forces that I know of, a setting of a common religious text.
179 - ? Of all the great composers, certainly one of the least discussed on this site. Guessed by Sforzando - Rossini's La Cenerentola overture
181 - ? Surprised this hasn't been identified; the chromatic harmony is typical. Guessed by Sforzando - Franck, Symphonic Variations
183 - ? Very big piano concerto, evidently. Near the beginning. Guessed by Robert - Busoni's Piano Concerto
184 - ? Famous orchestral work, an imitation of a machine. There's a big clue for you. Guessed by Greg - Honegger's Pacific 231
185 - ? Closely linked to another of my scores which I posted near to this one.
191 - ? Piano concerto. English. One of my favourites. Guessed by Guido - Ireland's Piano Concerto
193 - ? By a composer not much associated with the piano.
194 - ? Surprised this wasn't got. If you'd followed the clues, you'd have worked out that it is Tippett. Guessed by Robert - Tippett's A Child of Our Time.
201 - ? A jazz transcription. Pianist needed - his famous, habitual tag is the easiest way to identify him here.

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 24, 2008, 02:15:25 PM
And if anyone is interested in looking at my unguessed ones from January:

167 - ? A very well known ballet, better-known in the suite form, by an extremely important composer.
168 - ? The only vocal work for these forces that I know of, a setting of a common religious text.
179 - ? Of all the great composers, certainly one of the least discussed on this site.
181 - ? Surprised this hasn't been identified; the chromatic harmony is typical.
183 - ? Very big piano concerto, evidently. Near the beginning.
184 - ? Famous orchestral work, an imitation of a machine. There's a big clue for you.
185 - ? Closely linked to another of my scores which I posted near to this one.
191 - ? Piano concerto. English. One of my favourites.
193 - ? By a composer not much associated with the piano.
194 - ? Surprised this wasn't got. If you'd followed the clues, you'd have worked out that it is Tippett.
201 - ? A jazz transcription. Pianist needed - his famous, habitual tag is the easiest way to identify him here.

184- Honneger- Pacific 231...... if not, Antheil's Mechanical Ballet

Mark G. Simon

I hope the composer of LO 204 understands that playing softly on the bass clarinet requires at least as much air, if not more, than loud notes. "Halber Luft" doesn't cut it.

lukeottevanger

;D The piece works very effectively, in any case....

Greg, Pacific 231 is correct. Now, why was that so easy now, and ungettable three months ago?  ;D

Robert Dahm

183 is the first piano entry in the Busoni Piano Concerto.

(poco) Sforzando

167 Wild guess, but could this be from the Miraculous Mandarin of Bartok?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

lukeottevanger

Also both correct. The Bartok is from a fairly obscure passage late in the ballet; I chose it because it has a fairly early use of microtone notation.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 25, 2008, 01:39:56 AM
Also both correct. The Bartok is from a fairly obscure passage late in the ballet; I chose it because it has a fairly early use of microtone notation.

I didn't see how it could be anything else, but in thumbing through my copy of the score I couldn't find the passage, so I felt unsure.

As for the rest - blanks.

Robert Dahm

194 is A Child of Our Time, the very end of number 29.

The rehearsal figure visible at left was very nifty in confirming my hunch...  ;)

lukeottevanger

Yes, it is - this is one of the highpoints of the piece (quite literally, in fact - the soprano's top C) and I was surprised that no one got it sooner (when for instance my other, somewhat less well-known Tippett samples were all identified).

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on March 25, 2008, 03:42:09 AM
I didn't see how it could be anything else, but in thumbing through my copy of the score I couldn't find the passage, so I felt unsure.

As for the rest - blanks.

You know 181, I 'm sure, and I'd be surprised if you haven't heard 179.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 25, 2008, 04:49:28 AM
You know 181, I 'm sure, and I'd be surprised if you haven't heard 179.

I hate it when you say these things! because then it makes me feel worse when I can't place it. 181 looks like a piano concerto modelled after the 2nd movement of the Beethoven 4th - but who? The piano textures aren't Lisztian, but maybe I ought to check my scores. Who else? Cesar Franck?

As for 179, it baffles me also. It looks like some kind of opera buffa overture, a transitional passage in a sonata allegro from the main to the second group. The "gran cassa" suggests the typical Italian grouping of bass drum and cymbal. That along with the chattering rhythms suggest - maybe Rossini?

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 24, 2008, 05:11:33 PM

Greg, Pacific 231 is correct. Now, why was that so easy now, and ungettable three months ago?  ;D
gee, i wonder  ;D

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on March 25, 2008, 05:18:20 AM
I hate it when you say these things! because then it makes me feel worse when I can't place it. 181 looks like a piano concerto modelled after the 2nd movement of the Beethoven 4th - but who? The piano textures aren't Lisztian, but maybe I ought to check my scores. Who else? Cesar Franck?

As for 179, it baffles me also. It looks like some kind of opera buffa overture, a transitional passage in a sonata allegro from the main to the second group. The "gran cassa" suggests the typical Italian grouping of bass drum and cymbal. That along with the chattering rhythms suggest - maybe Rossini?

This is why this thread is so great - this kind of detective work. Because both your guesses as to composer are correct! At least in the case of the Franck, therefore, the work ought to be very easy to identify now.  :) :) :)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 25, 2008, 05:25:51 AM
This is why this thread is so great - this kind of detective work. Because both your guesses as to composer are correct! At least in the case of the Franck, therefore, the work ought to be very easy to identify now.  :) :) :)

Then I would assume it's the Franck Symphonic Variations.

And now I'll have to go through my 3-CD of Rossini overtures to find the right one ...  :D

lukeottevanger

1) Yes

and

2) maybe. Or maybe I will put you out of your misery when I can remember which one it is myself.... ;D

Guido

This is a guess but is LO 191 the Ireland piano concerto?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

lukeottevanger

Yes! The second, gorgeous movement, quite close in style to his extraordinary piano+orch Legend. This amazing, craggy, north-country feel in both the opening music for (mostly) strings and the sensitive piano solo which follows. What the hell - here's a lo-fi sample, including the quoted page.

Guido

Before guessing, I just listened to the first movement and the piano writing just sounded similar to what that extract looked like. It's funny how English music has never been known fr its piano writing, though there are actually a fair few very good piano pieces. I have the Kathryn Stott recording of this work coupled with the Walton Sinfonia Concertante, which I adore, and the Bridge Phantasm, which I also love. It's a great CD, and she's a great pianist.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

lukeottevanger

Do you know Legend? Astonishingly potent piece. Ireland is one of the great piano composers of the last century - not a huge output, but everything is very high quality, and his personal style is very strong. Sarnia, the Sonata and Sonatina, Greenways and Decorations....superb music.