Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Before I go to bed:

Sfz 13: Alfvén, First Swedish Rhapsody (Midsommarvaka)

It must be!?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

(poco) Sforzando

BTW, I hope everyone realizes that if you click on any of my images, they will enlarge.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jezetha on May 09, 2008, 04:03:10 PM
Before I go to bed:

Sfz 13: Alfvén, First Swedish Rhapsody (Midsommarvaka)

It must be!

Yes it is! but some of my others aren't quite so easy!  >:D

(poco) Sforzando

3 more:

See how you do - I'm having dinner and will be back in an hour.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sforzando on May 09, 2008, 04:07:33 PM
Yes it is! but some of my others aren't quite so easy!  >:D

Still - I can go to sleep now...  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Guido

What is the significance of your new avatar Sfz?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Guido on May 09, 2008, 05:15:29 PM
What is the significance of your new avatar Sfz?

I couldn't fit any more than four composers without their looking like pinpricks.

Sean

Quote from: Sforzando on May 09, 2008, 05:31:20 PM
I couldn't fit any more than four composers without their looking like pinpricks.

You mean two, of course?

J.Z. Herrenberg

#23 must be a light and lively French master, like Lalo or Chabrier.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jezetha on May 09, 2008, 11:44:27 PM
#23 must be a light and lively French master, like Lalo or Chabrier.

It is one of those two.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sforzando on May 10, 2008, 02:11:51 AM
It is one of those two.

Okay, I did some research: it's the orchestral version of a piano piece by Chabrier, Bourrée Fantasque.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jezetha on May 10, 2008, 02:35:09 AM
Okay, I did some research: it's the orchestral version of a piano piece by Chabrier, Bourrée Fantasque.

That is correct.

(poco) Sforzando

lukeottevanger

First glance, I can only get three:

10 - Gluck: Le calme entre dans ma coeur (Iphigénie en Tauride)
11 - Rameau - Les tendres plaintes
27 - Varese - Density 21.5

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 10, 2008, 04:04:37 AM
First glance, I can only get three:

10 - Gluck: Le calme entre dans ma coeur (Iphigénie en Tauride)
11 - Rameau - Les tendres plaintes
27 - Varese - Density 21.5

All correct. Surprised Sean didn't get 11.

Don't be concerned if I don't respond for the next 8-10 hours. (It is just past 8 am in New York now.) I'm leaving soon for the city and don't expect to return until late afternoon. Clues to start as needed then. Suffice to say that the examples include some of the best-known composers as well as some figures not well known as composers at all.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 09, 2008, 03:44:08 PM
243 - Without even playing it, I see some Schumann there, but it doesn't help me in the least!  ;D

Not Schumann, no. Much more well-known.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 09, 2008, 03:54:46 PM
The only nightingales I can think of are Stravinsky's and Granados's - and it ain't one of them!

No. Nor Couperin's 'Rossignol en amour' (let's not forget the genius of Couperin in our praise of Scarlatti and Rameau!). Nor Satie's 'rossignol qui aurait mal aux dents'.... (though that one is closest as it too has a medical affliction!)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 10, 2008, 04:27:18 AM
Not Schumann, no. Much more well-known.

Maybe I'm just getting confused by the numbering, but I see one piece that has echoes of the Hammerklavier and another that quotes Schumann. Anyhow, this will have to wait until tonight; I have an appointment that I'm already late for.

lukeottevanger

I think your number 9 (I've called it 9a in the list, because there was already a 9th one) is from an edition reconstructing Beethoven's sketchbook. Here we see fragments of what was to become the alla Tedesca of the op 130 quartet (where this movement is in G) in the key of A, mixed up with fragments which found their way into the A minor quartet op 132. I thought it might be this and checked in the archives of the Beethoven-Haus - here's their page on the sketches in question - you can scroll through the sketchbook (e.g. the 'tedesca' material starts on page 2)

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 10, 2008, 04:35:46 AM
Maybe I'm just getting confused by the numbering, but I see one piece that has echoes of the Hammerklavier and another that quotes Schumann. Anyhow, this will have to wait until tonight; I have an appointment that I'm already late for.

The one which seems to echo the Hammerklavier is, I guess, 242 - I can see why you'd think that, but look a couple of bars earlier to see the phrase from which this quasi op 106 motive derives. That might lead you to the original work of which this is a cadenza.

No 243 is the one which takes over Ravel's Jeux d'eau* entirely but uses it as the frame for another, very famous song.

* also, later on - you can see it here towards the end - Ravel's Une barque sur  l'ocean