Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

I think I'm close to working out where 31 is from, but if I'm right it's not really my area of expertise... ;D

(poco) Sforzando

I would say Sean (now Guest again) is correct.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Since we're not getting anywhere with Sfz24, how about another piece by the same composer.

lukeottevanger

Is 24 'Er ist's' by Wolf, then?

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 13, 2008, 05:45:56 AM
Is 24 'Er ist's' by Wolf, then?

Das ist's! and 32 is . . . . ?

(And 18, 19, and 31 are . . . . ?)

lukeottevanger

I'll tell you yours if you tell me mine....  ;D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 13, 2008, 06:37:34 AM
I'll tell you yours if you tell me mine....  ;D

Believe me, if I knew any more of yours I would say right away!

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 13, 2008, 06:01:18 AM
Das ist's! and 32 is . . . . ?

Oh, 32 - the new one! It's Wolf too, of course - Ganymed from the Goethe-Lieder

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 13, 2008, 06:58:50 AM
Oh, 32 - the new one! It's Wolf too, of course - Ganymed from the Goethe-Lieder

One of his most beautiful achievements.

lukeottevanger

Oh, did I forget to mention? - Sfz 18: Marius Flothuis - Symphonische Muziek op 59  0:)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 13, 2008, 02:42:59 PM
Oh, did I forget to mention? - Sfz 18: Marius Flothuis - Symphonische Muziek op 59  0:)

I thought 19 was a Dutch composer...

If you're right, you have embarrassed this Dutchman! But I know Flothuis as a scholar more than as a composer...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

lukeottevanger

You don't know what you're missing!!  :o :o :o :o

(Nor do I)

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Jezetha on May 13, 2008, 02:54:36 PM
I thought 19 was a Dutch composer...

Sfz's last clue (top of this page) may make it seem that way (inadvertently, I assume). But if you read all his clues together, it's clear he means no 18.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 13, 2008, 03:05:46 PM
Sfz's last clue (top of this page) may make it seem that way (inadvertently, I assume). But if you read all his clues together, it's clear he means no 18.

Yes, looking at the scores that seems to make more sense (the Flothuis looks like those facsimile scores from Donemus).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 13, 2008, 03:05:46 PM
Sfz's last clue (top of this page) may make it seem that way (inadvertently, I assume).

No, very deliberately, though I probably should have phrased it thus to maintain parallelism:

19 and 18 are not extremely well-known composers, but I think my clues have been pretty good. Of the one, his operas are much more popular in Germany than in Britain or America. Of the other, he is Dutch.

Think about it, Freunde. (And there's a huge clue there if you know how to use it!)

Flothuis's Symphonic Music it is, an LP I've had for decades since it was issued on Donemus, coupled with a piece by Kees Van Baaren. It's a nice score (though I haven't heard for decades myself). And Flothuis is probably better known for his work on the Mozart Ausgabe and other scholarship.

How did you get it, Luke?

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 13, 2008, 03:28:16 PM
No, very deliberately, though I probably should have phrased it thus to maintain parallelism:

19 and 18 are not extremely well-known composers, but I think my clues have been pretty good. Of the one, his operas are much more popular in Germany than in Britain or America. Of the other, he is Dutch.

Maybe I'm missing something, but here you say 19 and 18; above you say 18 and 19. Hence the confusion. Anyway, it doesn't matter...  :)

Quote from: Sforzando on May 13, 2008, 03:28:16 PM
Flothuis's Symphonic Music it is, an LP I've had for decades since it was issued on Donemus, coupled with a piece by Kees Van Baaren. It's a nice score (though I haven't heard for decades myself). How did you get it, Luke?

Well, obviously I recognised the music immediately and was just waiting to see if anyone else got it....

Actually, it was quite a tricky one, mostly because it was time-consuming. I tried various tacks, but each one led to looking through very long lists and many hopeful but blind alleys. Among other things, I found out about a number of musicologists; among them I saw the name Marius Flothuis but as it wasn't the line I was following at that point, I didn't take it further. I didn't do the obvious thing until later - to search through the history of the Concertgebouw - but when I did so I saw his name again. A little more looking brought up a nice 25 page PDF catalogue of his writing, his musical output, plus a lengthy essay. Which confirmed that he fitted all your clues - Dutch, closely linked to the Concertgebouw, many publications on Mozart (why he didn't show up in my searches I don't know!), wrote an orchestral piece (seemingly regarded as one of his best works) in 1957.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 13, 2008, 03:38:34 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but here you say 19 and 18; above you say 18 and 19. Hence the confusion. Anyway, it doesn't matter...  :)

Well, obviously I recognised the music immediately and was just waiting to see if anyone else got it....

Actually, it was quite a tricky one, mostly because it was time-consuming. I tried various tacks, but each one led to looking through very long lists and many hopeful but blind alleys. Among other things, I found out about a number of musicologists; among them I saw the name Marius Flothuis but as it wasn't the line I was following at that point, I didn't take it further. I didn't do the obvious thing until later - to search through the history of the Concertgebouw - but when I did so I saw his name again. A little more looking brought up a nice 25 page PDF catalogue of his writing, his musical output, plus a lengthy essay. Which confirmed that he fitted all your clues - Dutch, closely linked to the Concertgebouw, many publications on Mozart (why he didn't show up in my searches I don't know!), wrote an orchestral piece (seemingly regarded as one of his best works) in 1957.

Very impressive, Holmes!

See you all tomorrow, sleep beckons...

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 13, 2008, 03:38:34 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but here you say 19 and 18; above you say 18 and 19.

I did say: "I probably should have phrased it thus to maintain parallelism." (And I don't use italics that often, so . . . . )

I suppose this one is really proving a trial to you guys. Who would have expected such trouble from one of my examples? Not to mention the other - but I do admit you guys have done fantastically well so far.

So I hope I get the right answers from one of you.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Sforzando, you are cruel...

Okay - your clues for 19: the composer isn't a major figure, he is mainly remembered for his operas, but is played more in Germany than in America or Britain, and the American title of the work is at variance with his nationality.

Looking at the score, the composer is from the 19th century; he is probably German; the music is either from a symphony (first or last movement), or part of an overture.

When I think of minor German opera composers of the nineteenth century who are still played in Germany, I think of Lortzing and Marschner.

I see that Marschner wrote an opera called 'Austin' in 1852... Is this the overture to that work?

This is as far as I can get without any further clues.

P.S. If I am wrong (and I am, of course!), please suggest why...

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Jezetha on May 13, 2008, 11:01:52 PM
Sforzando, you are cruel...

Okay - your clues for 19: the composer isn't a major figure, he is mainly remembered for his operas, but is played more in Germany than in America or Britain, and the American title of the work is at variance with his nationality.

Looking at the score, the composer is from the 19th century; he is probably German; the music is either from a symphony (first or last movement), or part of an overture.

When I think of minor German opera composers of the nineteenth century who are still played in Germany, I think of Lortzing and Marschner.

I see that Marschner wrote an opera called 'Austin' in 1852... Is this the overture to that work?

This is as far as I can get without any further clues.

P.S. If I am wrong (and I am, of course!), please suggest why...

Sfz said that 19 was a symphony (pg 107), Believe me, I've been through dozens and dozens (and dozens) of German opera-speicalist composers, and I can't find one who wrote a symphony with an American-themed subtitled (except Abert, who wrote a Columbus symphony, but it's in D major). I may well have missed something, but of course it also may well not be a German composer....

31 is also causing me trouble. But again, I'm exploring 'certain avenues'...

But how about mine?? My clues are much more generous than stingy old Sforzando - I even tell you exactly how to find the composer's identity sometimes - and yet we're still missing quite a few!  >:D ;D

Next post, my clues again --->