Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

Yes, he is. The key helps too, I suspect. ;D

lukeottevanger

Oh, you mean you're still talking about no 19! Sorry, I forgot that one, solved it ages ago.... ( ;D ;D ;D :-\ :-\ :-\ :-[ :-[ :-[ )

von Einem's Philadelphia symphony.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 14, 2008, 06:04:53 AM
Oh, you mean no 19! Sorry, I forgot that one ( ;D ;D ;D :-\ :-\ :-\ :-[ :-[ :-[ )

I knew I'd finally get it from One of you. How did you figure it out after all the clues staring you in the face? (Look closely at those Wagnerian stage directions: "Er holt aus dem Gemerk die Tafel herbei und hält sie, während des Folgenden, von Einem zum Andern sich wendend, den Meistern zur Prüfung vor." Visit the Wikipedia page - opera based on Dürrenmatt. Of the one, of the other. A real trial - opera based on Kafka. A somewhat noble name. ;D )

And I see an allusion to the start of the C minor sonata K. 457 in your first Mozart cadenza measure - key C minor, concerto K. 491?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 14, 2008, 06:11:21 AM
I knew I'd finally get it from One of you. How did you figure it out after all the clues staring you in the face? (Look closely at those Wagnerian stage directions: "Er holt aus dem Gemerk die Tafel herbei und hält sie, während des Folgenden, von Einem zum Andern sich wendend, den Meistern zur Prüfung vor." Visit the Wikipedia page - opera based on Dürrenmatt. Of the one, of the other. A real trial - opera based on Kafka. A somewhat noble name. ;D )

To be honest, it was the stage directions. I tried searching for the Wiki page you hinted at, but it was quite hard to work in the opposite direction, and I gave it up as a lost cause after examining lots of composers who were quite obviously not the ones! Once I'd seen the stage directions, though, things like the 'noble name' fitted, and when I checked the Wiki page it fitted too. Though it doesn't list this symphony - I had to go a little further to find that one.

Quote from: Sforzando on May 14, 2008, 06:11:21 AM
And I see an allusion to the start of the C minor sonata K. 457 in your first Mozart cadenza measure - key C minor, concerto K. 491?

No, but that's relatively good....

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 14, 2008, 06:27:41 AM
No, but that's relatively good....

Relatively good in the sense of a relative minor to E flat?

(Can't get to a piano now to play this.)

Britten did a cadenza to K 482 in E flat.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 14, 2008, 06:35:57 AM
Relatively good in the sense of a relative minor to E flat?

Yep. I'm beginning to learn from you, the master of subterfuge, you see!

Quote from: Sforzando on May 14, 2008, 06:35:57 AM(Can't get to a piano now to play this.)

Look at the shape and rhythm of the left had, end of second line (the bit that merges into what you thought was a Hammerklavier reference). This is the clearest, least obscured reference to an important and memorable motive from the concerto proper.

lukeottevanger

The composer of this cadenza, btw, was a very fine pianist indeed, but he composed it for a friend and associate of his, an even finer one (one of the finest, in fact).

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 14, 2008, 06:42:08 AM
Yep. I'm beginning to learn from you, the master of subterfuge, you see!

Look at the shape and rhythm of the left had, end of second line (the bit that merges into what you thought was a Hammerklavier reference). This is the clearest, least obscured reference to an important and memorable motive from the concerto proper.

Not Britten then? (Pianist = Richter.)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 14, 2008, 06:04:53 AM
Oh, you mean you're still talking about no 19! Sorry, I forgot that one, solved it ages ago.... ( ;D ;D ;D :-\ :-\ :-\ :-[ :-[ :-[ )

Chapeau, Luke! Why didn't I think of von Einem?! Darn...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 14, 2008, 06:43:46 AM
Not Britten then? (Pianist = Richter.)

Yes. So this is Britten's cadenza for Richter, for the first movement of a Mozart concerto in E flat. No tricks here - you just need which of the E flat concerti it is.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 14, 2008, 06:55:03 AM
Yes. So this is Britten's cadenza for Richter, for the first movement of a Mozart concerto in E flat. No tricks here - you just need which of the E flat concerti it is.

482 - said it above, but perhaps you missed.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 14, 2008, 06:56:16 AM
482 - said it above, but perhaps you missed.

Yes, didn't see that - 'twas an edit, I think  ;)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 14, 2008, 07:31:16 AM
Yes, didn't see that - 'twas an edit, I think  ;)

'Twas.

And my Sfz31 is? We keep going round and round with the same clues, but here's a bit more: this is a stage work that has received literally thousands of productions all over the world - in at least 67 countries, an absolutely fantastic record. I think you'll get it if you try to remember, but I promise I won't go on much more before I reveal.

And how many of yours are open still, Luke?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sforzando on May 14, 2008, 07:43:05 AM
'Twas.

And my Sfz31 is? We keep going round and round with the same clues, but here's a bit more: this is a stage work that has received literally thousands of productions all over the world - in at least 67 countries, an absolutely fantastic record. I think you'll get it if you try to remember, but I promise I won't go on much more before I reveal.

It's a musical then? Not a genre I particularly care for. Andrew Lloyd-Webber?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jezetha on May 14, 2008, 07:46:47 AM
It's a musical then? Not a genre I particularly care for. Andrew Lloyd-Webber?

Not A L-W (whom I would not quote here - ugh), but a musical. That should open this up considerably.

lukeottevanger

I thought it was a musical (remember I said it wasn't my area of experitse!) Which is why I spent a long time yesterday trawling through the darn things. Looks polka-esque, so I concentrated on places where that might be likely, but no luck yet.

lukeottevanger

I think it's from one I avoided looking at yesterday, though the name cropped up enough - The Fantasticks. Don't ask me to name what song/number exactly though (and I don't have time to research that now). Wild guess - Overture?

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 14, 2008, 08:02:55 AM
I think it's from one I avoided looking at yesterday, though the name cropped up enough - The Fantasticks. Don't ask me to name what song/number exactly though (and I don't have time to research that now). Wild guess - Overture?

"We keep going round and round with the same clues, but here's a bit more: this is a stage work that has received literally thousands of productions all over the world - in at least 67 countries, an absolutely Fantastick record. I think you'll get it if you try to remember, but I promise I won't go on much more before I reveal."

I must've used that word "fantastic" six times.  ;D

Just a formality at this point, but the composer, please?

And is your nightingale piece Satie? Doesn't look like him, but he did provide the direction "play like a nightingale with a toothache" at one point. (I know, I know, forget the bloody nightingales.)

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on May 14, 2008, 08:25:05 AM
"We keep going round and round with the same clues, but here's a bit more: this is a stage work that has received literally thousands of productions all over the world - in at least 67 countries, an absolutely Fantastick record. I think you'll get it if you try to remember, but I promise I won't go on much more before I reveal."

I must've used that word "fantastic" six times.  ;D

Just a formality at this point, but the composer, please?

And is your nightingale piece Satie? Doesn't look like him, but he did provide the direction "play like a nightingale with a toothache" at one point. (I know, I know, forget the bloody nightingales.)

Harvey Schmidt (or something similar)

No on the Satie - in fact, I mentioned that very nightingale/toothache in an earlier post as not being the medically afflicted nightingale here.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 14, 2008, 08:31:00 AM
Harvey Schmidt (or something similar)

No on the Satie - in fact, I mentioned that very nightingale/toothache in an earlier post as not being the medically afflicted nightingale here.

Harvey Schmidt it is.

I think I've got the toothache by this point . . . .  ;D