Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Guido on June 03, 2008, 05:46:28 AM
More famous than Howells and prone to quirky quotations and parodies... I'll go for Arnold... Haven't ever heard a piece of his apart from one movement of the solo cello piece which seems nice enough. He wrote an abortion of a cello concerto in the late 80s that Julian Lloyd Webber was too embarrassed to record. He had wanted to couple it with the Walton concerto (such a great piece!  >:D ;D) as the two had been good friends but once he played it through he realised that he couldn't. Oops, it might not be Arnold! (Arnold's Antic from Howells' Clavichord is my guess)

No, but by 'eck you were close there....

Guido

Does Malcom's vision correspond to the same composer?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

lukeottevanger

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 03, 2008, 05:52:27 AM
No, but by 'eck you were close there....

Is the enfant terrible you are referring to - Walton? Walton's Toye the piece by Howells? And the instrumental version of that original piece - Façade? Don't ask for numbers, I just got inspired...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

lukeottevanger

Let the muse strike, Johan - you're spot on!

Walton's Toye is, in places, a sort of paraphrase of Crown Imperial - which is why the clavichord would be rather unsuitable. If you superimpose the slightly syncopated, repeated rhythms of the opening of Crown Imperial onto the Howells piece, you will see the connection.

And the William Tell one is from Façade, yes - the Swiss Jodelling Song from the 1st Suite Walton arranged for orchestra.

The remaining Walton shares a connection with Guido's no 37.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 03, 2008, 03:53:52 AM
LO 290

This one will be easier, though, I suspect, for some of this thread's inhabitants. Where's Sforzando, btw? All tango-ed out?

Both very busy at work and chagrined by all the ones he can't identify.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

J.Z. Herrenberg

Luke - I think I have it. You say there is a a connection between 'American beauty' and Walton. Well, the only 'tertium comparationis' I can come up with is - the Christopher Columbus Suite (never heard it, btw).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Guido

Surely he just means it's film music.

I should probably be shot for saying this, but as a self professed Walton fan, I do not own a recording of the Facade Suites (although do have voice/piano versions of the songs). Embarassing!
Geologist.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Guido on June 03, 2008, 06:19:25 AM
Surely he just means it's film music.

Well, Walton wrote a lot of film music. I know all of his Shakespearean things, but not, for instance, the 'Battle of Britain' music. Perhap's it's that... I don't recognise the music.

Edit: It IS the 'Battle of Britain' music. I just checked the 'Spitfire Fugue'!

lukeottevanger

Indeed - a great piece, in its own way. Does exactly what it says on the tin - rousing, stately fanfares, a nobilmente-type tune that outdoes Elgar, a lyrical intermezzo, a busy fugue with obligatory climax when nobilmente tune and fugue subject are combined (my sample page) and a return of the rousing fanfares!

What ho, old bean - chocks away!  ;D

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on June 03, 2008, 06:04:32 AM
Both very busy at work and chagrined by all the ones he can't identify.

You know 290, I'm sure of it.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Excellent! And now, after all these triumphs, I have to do the washing-up I left for today.  :'(

See you all later!

Guido

Am I right in remembering that hardly any of Walton's music made it into that film? Or that only 10 minutes of music got composed?

Is the film music worth exploring? I love the violin pieces derived from Henry V, but didn't enjoy playing the orchestral suite from that so much. Which are the best Filmscores?

I see Chandos has a four part series, that may just need to get bought soon! Edit: just broke my own promise to myself... they were so cheap used and new I just had to get them! Oh dear, I'm actually an addict.
Geologist.

Chrone

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 03, 2008, 03:52:21 AM
LO 289

This one is really hard, I think - it's never been recorded AFAIK (and I've looked countless times!) - so I've left in as many verbal clues as I could. Which may end up making it too easy!

Indeed. "Pragensia" by Petr Eben.

(poco) Sforzando

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 03, 2008, 06:32:01 AM
You know 290, I'm sure of it.

I hate when you say that, 'cause then when I can't identify it I feel more foolish.

But I'm going to guess it's one of Carter's vocal chamber works.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 03, 2008, 06:30:06 AM
What ho, old bean - chocks away!  ;D

Jolly good! That'll teach Jerry!

Guido

Geologist.

karlhenning

Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on June 03, 2008, 08:21:44 AM
Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Where is my cultural encyclopedia for the explanation of difficult wording............. ??? ;D