Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 24, 2008, 04:15:59 AM
Thanks - those look tantalising. One thing before I get stuck in - are those clues in any sort of order relative to the scores? Or are they, as knowing you I suspect they are, merely random?

I wouldn't say "merely" random. Some of those clues fit to a T. Some of those clues fit to a T. Some of those clues fit to a T. Some of those clues fit to a T.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

lukeottevanger

62 - Beethoven - Fugue for String Quintet op 137. Beethoven was my very first thought when I saw this one, too, but I didn't uncover this piece. No idea why not.

lukeottevanger

Is one of these Massenet....?

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 24, 2008, 04:50:45 AM
Is one of these Massenet....?

The LvB is correct. It was written in 1817 and published posthumously; it's a tiny piece rarely heard and I don't even have a recording.

No Massenet, but you're in the right country for at least one of mine.

lukeottevanger

All those moaning and groaning about the loss of their avatars on other threads don't realise the true tragedy of that situation. I don't know about anyone else but I'm unable to see any scores now. Does this mean they are all lost for good?

In all seriousness, if it does, the most attractive thing about this forum - this thread and the particular group of people who inhabit it - will have disappeared for me. A  :( or a  >:( doesn't quite cover it.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just came back here. I didn't know what you were talking about, Luke, but indeed - when I clicked on one of the links I didn't see any score. This is serious. What has happened? I'll have to investigate.

P.S. I can see 321 et cetera...

Later: There seems to be no system to it.

Still later: after doing a Refresh all avatars have gone (they were still here when I arrived). I hope Rob will solve this problem...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 24, 2008, 10:12:27 AM
All those moaning and groaning about the loss of their avatars on other threads don't realise the true tragedy of that situation. I don't know about anyone else but I'm unable to see any scores now. Does this mean they are all lost for good?

In all seriousness, if it does, the most attractive thing about this forum - this thread and the particular group of people who inhabit it - will have disappeared for me. A  :( or a  >:( doesn't quite cover it.

Yes, this is serious, though I am hoping Rob can restore the database and bring back all the scores we've been scanning, cropping, uploading, etc. But at least if there are no scores to view, I cannot be accused of failing to identify Luke's scores.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sforzando on June 24, 2008, 11:01:13 AM
Yes, this is serious, though I am hoping Rob can restore the database and bring back all the scores we've been scanning, cropping, uploading, etc. But at least if there are no scores to view, I cannot be accused of failing to identify Luke's scores.

;D :'(
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

lukeottevanger

The scores are returning.  :) :) :) :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

lukeottevanger

Good point. I can see the ones at the top of the last page (which I couldn't when this problem first started), but not earlier ones. Bugger.

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 24, 2008, 10:12:27 AM

Ach!

Let's hope that is not Jocasta's servant entering, stage right . . . .

lukeottevanger

On a happier note, Sforzando's 71 is George Butterworth's A Shropshire Lad, which I assume is the one about eggs in butter, though that still doesn't make much sense to me, I must say.

lukeottevanger

(see, Sfz, it's possible to find them even when the scores have vanished, so that's no excuse  ;D )

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 24, 2008, 02:02:19 PM
Good point. I can see the ones at the top of the last page (which I couldn't when this problem first started), but not earlier ones. Bugger.

You mean page 157? I can't see a thing. Yet...

lukeottevanger

Yes, that one. Not that it's any help - those are my scores, and I already know what they are  ;D

lukeottevanger

...but my ones on page 156 aren't visible; not are Sforzando's on the same page -  why should there be a difference?  ::) ???

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 24, 2008, 02:14:24 PM
...but my ones on page 156 aren't visible; not are Sforzando's on the same page -  why should there be a difference?  ::) ???

I would give it a day before worrying.

"Eggs, butter . . . this clue must be worth something, lads."

But perhaps there's still life in the clue? or would you prefer a single hard-cooked egg?

J.Z. Herrenberg

'History is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake' (Stephen Daedalus, Ulysses)

Let's hope that Rob hasn't been tweaking the site to kingdom come and that after a good night's sleep (ours) things here will have returned to normal.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sforzando on June 24, 2008, 02:19:17 PM
"Eggs, butter . . . this clue must be worth something, lads."

Yes, I got that, but where do the eggs come in....?

Quote from: Sforzando on June 24, 2008, 02:19:17 PM
But perhaps there's still life in the clue? or would you prefer a single hard-cooked egg?

Maybe this is what you mean...