Aram Khachaturian (1903-1978)

Started by vandermolen, August 28, 2007, 12:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 29, 2020, 05:29:21 PM
A defect in ASV series is sound too much bombastic IMHO,this recording is superior

Is that a CD or LP?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2020, 04:13:31 PM
Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

A lot of this music will be new to me and some of it will not as I already knew the Piano Concerto, much of Spartacus, a few excerpts from Gayane and perhaps the Violin Concerto. I do believe I have heard the 2nd symphony, but I can't recall much about it. I've come to enjoy his music much in the way a person may enjoy say their favorite ice cream or candy bar --- a little does seem to go a long way and you don't want to overdo it. I do enjoy what I've heard from him and think that Armenian folk influence (amongst other folk influences) really gives his music some earthiness that I find quite appealing. I certainly understand why someone wouldn't enjoy Khachaturian, but despite the misconceived notion of a lack of depth in his music, there is some loveliness and beauty to be found here. That famous Adagio from Spartacus being a case in point. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the discovery (and rediscovery) of this composer's music.
I have all those although only the Cello Concerto from the CPO series. I especially like the underrated symphonies, even the notorious No.3. The big disappointment for me in the ASV series was not the recordings but the inferiority on the performance of Symphony No.1 (my favourite) compared with Tjeknavorian's earlier recording with the LSO. I know that I go on and on about this but it is a great shame that (like Bax's 3rd Symphony/LSO, Downes) it was never released on CD. I'm hopeful that one day it may re-appear, Phoenix-like in a Tjeknavorian boxed set. The ASV CD is enjoyable enough but without anything like the epic sweep of that earlier recording. For Symphony No.2 my favourite is the elder Jarvi's cataclysmic performance on Chandos with the RSNO. Still, I'm sure you'll enjoy discovering those works and the combination of symphonies 1 and 3 on the same CD makes for an enjoyable programme. Here are my favourite recordings of the symphonies although I also like Stokowski's old recording of Symphony No.3:
[/img][/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 29, 2020, 05:29:21 PM
A defect in ASV series is sound too much bombastic IMHO,this recording is superior

Wait a second...

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 10:26:27 PM
I have all those although only the Cello Concerto from the CPO series. I especially like the underrated symphonies, even the notorious No.3. The big disappointment for me in the ASV series was not the recordings but the inferiority on the performance of Symphony No.1 (my favourite) compared with Tjeknavorian's earlier recording with the LSO. I know that I go on and on about this but it is a great shame that (like Bax's 3rd Symphony/LSO, Downes) it was never released on CD. I'm hopeful that one day it may re-appear, Phoenix-like in a Tjeknavorian boxed set. The ASV CD is enjoyable enough but without anything like the epic sweep of that earlier recording. For Symphony No.2 my favourite is the elder Jarvi's cataclysmic performance on Chandos with the RSNO. Still, I'm sure you'll enjoy discovering those works and the combination of symphonies 1 and 3 on the same CD makes for an enjoyable programme. Here are my favourite recordings of the symphonies although I also like Stokowski's old recording of Symphony No.3:
[/img][/img]

Thanks for the feedback, Jeffrey. Yeah, I wish that older recording from Tjeknavorian was available on CD. I would definitely buy it, but the ASV is all we have. You don't like any of the ballets like Spartacus or Gayane?

Edit: There is an older Alexander Gauk performance of the 1st symphony, but it's in mono and the audio quality is far from satisfactory.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on June 30, 2020, 05:41:05 AM
Wait a second...

Yes, I noticed that too:
'Let Us Go Forward Together!'

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The below is YT link to the recording in question. As Jeffrey described, it is wonderful.

https://youtu.be/DE6t0E5WCSw

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2020, 05:49:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Jeffrey. Yeah, I wish that older recording from Tjeknavorian was available on CD. I would definitely buy it, but the ASV is all we have. You don't like any of the ballets like Spartacus or Gayane?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2020, 05:49:30 AM
Oh, I like them both John, especially Spartacus. Recently I bought the complete Gayneh, which features the same cover image as my favourite recording of Symphony No.1:
[/img]

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 30, 2020, 06:45:11 AM
Oh, I like them both John, especially Spartacus. Recently I bought the complete Gayneh.

Very nice, Jeffrey. Which recording of Gayane did you buy? I've got Kakhidze and bought the Tjeknavorian yesterday.

vandermolen

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on June 30, 2020, 06:44:23 AM
The below is YT link to the recording in question. As Jeffrey described, it is wonderful.

https://youtu.be/DE6t0E5WCSw

Thanks again FBK. It has an epic sweep, unlike any other recording, including the composer's own one (which is good).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2020, 06:49:20 AM
Very nice, Jeffrey. Which recording of Gayane did you buy? I've got Kakhidze and bought the Tjeknavorian yesterday.

The one pictured above John, with Tjeknavorian.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 30, 2020, 06:51:54 AM
The one pictured above John, with Tjeknavorian.

Ah okay. Very nice, Jeffrey. I had to buy a Japanese reissue of that Tjeknavorian recording. I've read some issues with the sound quality in all of the recordings. What do you make of these criticisms? How does the audio quality sound to you?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I have the Valencia Widow/ASV and Gayne/RCA. They are excellent recordings.
As for Gayne, I slightly prefer the U.S.S.R. recording (Kakhidze) of the score expanded in1957 (and 1952).
Still, the Gayne/Rca is excellent as well.

I have read a few complaints about the sound quality of the Gayne/Rca, but the sound is fine and very good.

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2020, 04:13:31 PM
Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

A lot of this music will be new to me and some of it will not as I already knew the Piano Concerto, much of Spartacus, a few excerpts from Gayane and perhaps the Violin Concerto. I do believe I have heard the 2nd symphony, but I can't recall much about it. I've come to enjoy his music much in the way a person may enjoy say their favorite ice cream or candy bar --- a little does seem to go a long way and you don't want to overdo it. I do enjoy what I've heard from him and think that Armenian folk influence (amongst other folk influences) really gives his music some earthiness that I find quite appealing. I certainly understand why someone wouldn't enjoy Khachaturian, but despite the misconceived notion of a lack of depth in his music, there is some loveliness and beauty to be found here. That famous Adagio from Spartacus being a case in point. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the discovery (and rediscovery) of this composer's music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on June 30, 2020, 07:05:20 AM
I have the Valencia Widow/ASV and Gayne/RCA. They are excellent recordings.
As for Gayne, I slightly prefer the U.S.S.R. recording (Kakhidze) of the score expanded in1957 (and 1952).
Still, the Gayne/Rca is excellent as well.

I have read a few complaints about the sound quality of the Gayne/Rca, but the sound is fine and very good.

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I'll do a side-by-side comparison of the Kakhidze and Tjeknavorian at some juncture.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2020, 07:20:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I'll do a side-by-side comparison of the Kakhidze and Tjeknavorian at some juncture.

I am looking forward to reading your critique. To me the USSR recording maintains wildness and earthiness, as well as the charm of supplemented part in the composition.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on June 30, 2020, 07:28:31 AM
I am looking forward to reading your critique. To me the USSR recording maintains wildness and earthiness, as well as the charm of supplemented part in the composition.

I've read positive/negative criticisms of both performances, so, yeah, it'll be interesting to see which one I prefer in the end.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

As for N0. 3, I like this recording as well as the Chandos recording.

vandermolen

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on June 30, 2020, 07:35:22 AM
As for N0. 3, I like this recording as well as the Chandos recording.
Yes me too. It's difficult to go wrong with Kondrashin.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 30, 2020, 05:45:26 PM
A CD available here
http://www.foothillrecords.com/details-pages/citadel-ctd/131khacha.html
Thank you! An interesting website. Many of the CDs are very inexpensive but I wonder what the shipping to the UK is like! I realise that I have some of their release already including several by Howard Hanson, Robert Ward, Diamond and Harris.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2020, 06:54:37 AM
Ah okay. Very nice, Jeffrey. I had to buy a Japanese reissue of that Tjeknavorian recording. I've read some issues with the sound quality in all of the recordings. What do you make of these criticisms? How does the audio quality sound to you?
I think that mine is the Japanese reissue too John. No problem with sound quality as far as I recall but I'm not listening on a state-of-the-art sound system.