Aram Khachaturian (1903-1978)

Started by vandermolen, August 28, 2007, 12:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on July 08, 2020, 06:32:06 AM
Though it is not a famous work, the Dance Suite is one of my favorite K compositions. The music sounds like an extension of Gayene with folkish melodies based on the Turkish, Western and Slavic scales. I know only two CD sets (Tjeknavorian/ASV/Alto and Anichanov/Naxos) and a LP record (Ginastera). They all sound wonderful, but arguably the Ginastera record may offer the best performance followed by the Naxos date. The Tjeknavorian set is very good with good sound quality as well. It is a little more relaxed. Hope someone will issue a new recording of the Dance Suite (as well as the full-Gayene) in the near future.

Ah yes, the Dance Suite is a good piece. It has that characteristic Khachaturian folk-like sound to it. Obviously, it's not a revelation or a work that will turn the musical establishment on its head, but it's good fun nevertheless. The only recording I know is the Tjeknavorian.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Good album with the solid Piano Concerto, another favorite of mine, as well as the excellent Dance Suite.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2020, 07:05:08 AM
Ah yes, the Dance Suite is a good piece. It has that characteristic Khachaturian folk-like sound to it. Obviously, it's not a revelation or a work that will turn the musical establishment on its head, but it's good fun nevertheless. The only recording I know is the Tjeknavorian.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Two old recordings of the piano concerto. The Katz/Boult date could possibly be my favorite PC recording. The tempo is a little slow, but it doesn't sound slow. The performance is picturesque and it presents a mystical, almost-sorcerous atmosphere. Though it was recorded in the mid-50s, it is stereo and the sound quality is very good. The Katin/Rignold set does not have the opulence of the Katz album. But the performance offers a simple, harmonious elegance reminiscent of a Zen-Buddhist garden. The both albums are wonderful.

relm1

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 13, 2020, 04:33:05 AM
Two old recordings of the piano concerto. The Katz/Boult date could possibly be my favorite PC recording. The tempo is a little slow, but it doesn't sound slow. The performance is picturesque and it presents a mystical, almost-sorcerous atmosphere. Though it was recorded in the mid-50s, it is stereo and the sound quality is very good. The Katin/Rignold set does not have the opulence of the Katz album. But the performance offers a simple, harmonious elegance reminiscent of a Zen-Buddhist garden. The both albums are wonderful.

Fascinating.  I really love Boult when he ventures away from English repertoire.  His Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 is excellent.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 13, 2020, 06:09:14 AM
Fascinating.  I really love Boult when he ventures away from English repertoire.  His Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 is excellent.
I agree. I also like his Rachmaninov Symphony No.3, Shostakovich Symphony No.6, Sibelius Tone Poems and Schubert's 'Unfinished Symphony'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Thank you Gents. I need to check them out. I like his Hindemith recording as well.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 13, 2020, 06:54:34 AM
I agree. I also like his Rachmaninov Symphony No.3, Shostakovich Symphony No.6, Sibelius Tone Poems and Schubert's 'Unfinished Symphony'.

Easy to remember that Boult at the BBC premiered MANY works in the UK from Mahler to Wozzeck.  One of his great regrets looking back on his career was that he had not been asked to conduct more opera (which is why he enjoyed his late(ish) discs of Wagner excerpts).  It really was just the record companies that pigeon-holed him as a conductor of British music. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 18, 2020, 07:10:00 AM
Easy to remember that Boult at the BBC premiered MANY works in the UK from Mahler to Wozzeck.  One of his great regrets looking back on his career was that he had not been asked to conduct more opera (which is why he enjoyed his late(ish) discs of Wagner excerpts).  It really was just the record companies that pigeon-holed him as a conductor of British music.
OT
This is quite a nice set:
[/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on July 18, 2020, 11:19:08 PM
OT
This is quite a nice set:
[/img]

Very interesting set! I have his Wagner Overtures as well. Its a fine album.
Also, the below is his Hindemith set- very good recording.

Ed. For your examination:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lIR6D5rOWxUJt2fYNlaJOWfIJKOECkMss

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 19, 2020, 06:37:45 AM
Very interesting set! I have his Wagner Overtures as well. Its a fine album.
Also, the below is his Hindemith set- very good recording.
Ah ha. I have that (somewhere!) on LP.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 18, 2020, 07:10:00 AM

Boult talks about himself:

https://youtu.be/GWjB3tdtjuo

Vernon Handley talks about Boult (and himself.):

https://youtu.be/d9OoL1EdrR8

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Figure skate performance with Masquerade Waltz: Mao Asada.

https://youtu.be/aVF8uWTMWrY

techniquest

Looking back to page 4 of this thread, and the mystery around the Voskanyan recording of Masquerade on Denon; I'm currently listening to it on Spotify. I too assumed that the Masquerade music consisted of just the familiar short suite, but there is a great deal more - and some of it is really rather dramatic music.
I was surprised to hear an extensive quote from the Dies Irae part of Khachaturian's own 2nd symphony and also the entry of a choir in one of the later sections. This is music that's well worth exploring for any Khachaturian fan.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: techniquest on July 25, 2020, 01:19:17 AM
Looking back to page 4 of this thread, and the mystery around the Voskanyan recording of Masquerade on Denon; I'm currently listening to it on Spotify. I too assumed that the Masquerade music consisted of just the familiar short suite, but there is a great deal more - and some of it is really rather dramatic music.
I was surprised to hear an extensive quote from the Dies Irae part of Khachaturian's own 2nd symphony and also the entry of a choir in one of the later sections. This is music that's well worth exploring for any Khachaturian fan.

Voskanyan's Masquerade Walts is available at YT as well.
Figure Skater Mao Asada was a big fan of the Waltz and thereby selected the piece for her performance.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lPcYNx645_lk-0NdGfdxUqTEwTp5-73ZE

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

A nice album with excellent compositions. I don't know any of these Soviet-propaganda movies though. The music in the album are reminiscent of Gayne, and some of them are incredibly solid compositions and there is no weak composition at all. The performance of Armenian Phil is good/fair. If a top-tier orchestra played these works with enhanced vibrancy and texture, these pieces would sound magnificent. Still, the album is well-played and it is an interesting and enjoyable set.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 28, 2020, 06:39:15 AM
A nice album with excellent compositions. I don't know any of these Soviet-propaganda movies though. The music in the album are reminiscent of Gayne, and some of them are incredibly solid compositions and there is no weak composition at all. The performance of Armenian Phil is good/fair. If a top-tier orchestra played these works with enhanced vibrancy and texture, these pieces would sound magnificent. Still, the album is well-played and it is an interesting and enjoyable set.

If you've enjoyed these film scores check out these too

BUT DO go for the Naxos re-release not the Marco Polo original as Adriano re-recorded a couple of bits he wasn't happy with in the first release!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 28, 2020, 10:31:40 AM
If you've enjoyed these film scores check out these too

BUT DO go for the Naxos re-release not the Marco Polo original as Adriano re-recorded a couple of bits he wasn't happy with in the first release!

I was wondering about that album for long time. It is time for me to order it!  :) :) :)

Roy Bland

Quote from: techniquest on July 25, 2020, 01:19:17 AM
Integral version should be this
https://www.compozitor.spb.ru/eng/news/?ELEMENT_ID=33443

vandermolen

I've enjoyed the Gayaneh Suite from this CD (VSO Golschmann). The 'Dance of Ayshe' reminded me of Basil Poledouris's excellent score for 'Conan the Barbarian':

Now on to Ippolitov-Ivanov's 'Caucasian Sketches' (Utah SO Abravanel)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on August 04, 2020, 04:11:47 AM
I've enjoyed the Gayaneh Suite from this CD (VSO Golschmann). The 'Dance of Ayshe' reminded me of Basil Poledouris's excellent score for 'Conan the Barbarian':

Now on to Ippolitov-Ivanov's 'Caucasian Sketches' (Utah SO Abravanel)

😲😲😲 I will look for the disc as well as Conan The Barbarian!