Author Topic: Arthur Honegger (1892-1955)  (Read 68069 times)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Arthur Honegger (1892-1955)
« Reply #340 on: November 11, 2020, 02:55:00 AM »
I would love to be at a recital with a good string quartet performing Honegger's SQ nr 3.

Don't know it - must track it down!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #341 on: January 14, 2021, 12:37:22 AM »
I was trying to track down some comparative versions of the 3 Movements Symphonique.  I was quite surprised how rare as a coupling it is to find them together on a single disc but it makes good and interesting sense.  I picked up this disc quite cheaply;

which I had completely missed - somehow the combination of artists and label didn't particularly entice.  My loss and mistake - this is really excellent in every regard and the performance of the Liturgique is thrilling and compelling too - played with real commitment and virtuosity and very well recorded.  Definitely a disc Honegger admirers should hear....

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #342 on: January 14, 2021, 08:27:12 AM »
I was trying to track down some comparative versions of the 3 Movements Symphonique.  I was quite surprised how rare as a coupling it is to find them together on a single disc but it makes good and interesting sense.  I picked up this disc quite cheaply;

which I had completely missed - somehow the combination of artists and label didn't particularly entice.  My loss and mistake - this is really excellent in every regard and the performance of the Liturgique is thrilling and compelling too - played with real commitment and virtuosity and very well recorded.  Definitely a disc Honegger admirers should hear....
Yes, I agree. That's a fine disc with a great combination of works and a thrilling performance of the 'Liturgique' from the NZSO.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).