To boldly go ... (Star Trek)

Started by Karl Henning, February 28, 2023, 02:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: Atriod on November 29, 2023, 06:49:25 AMBabylon 5 is one of the greatest scifi shows ever made, I'm a huge fan!

Did you watch the new movie?  They managed to get a lot of the cast (that are still alive) to reprise their roles.  It is animated, but it worked in its favor.

Opus131

Quote from: DavidW on November 29, 2023, 08:35:59 AMThey managed to get a lot of the cast (that are still alive)

Babylon 5 was cursed so many of its actors died over the years it's almost shocking.

Atriod

Quote from: DavidW on November 29, 2023, 08:35:59 AMDid you watch the new movie?  They managed to get a lot of the cast (that are still alive) to reprise their roles.  It is animated, but it worked in its favor.

Not yet, I was planning to rewatch the series first, there is a lot that I've forgot.

relm1

Quote from: Opus131 on November 29, 2023, 09:52:19 AMBabylon 5 was cursed so many of its actors died over the years it's almost shocking.

I've never seen Babylon 5 but cast member Mira Furlan was a dear friend of mine who died during the covid pandemic.  We went to yoga together and I thought I recognized her as I knew her character from Lost and gained enough courage to ask her if that was her.  I saw her once or twice a week for about two years and each time she greeted me with a warm hug and kiss.  She exuded so much kindness and warmth.  A real gentle spirit which took some time for me to realize since in Lost, she's a real bad ass who survived on the island alone for fourteen years.  During the pandemic lockdown, the yoga studio was closed and lost track of everyone but was deeply saddened to learn she had died, she was such a pillar of strength, kindness, and beauty. 

San Antone

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 29, 2023, 02:14:41 AMRather late to this thread - but it did make me chuckle - "Avery Sharp" is actually Avery Brooks.  Avery Sharpe is a reknowned jazz bassist so I had this vision of an infuriated Federation Captain grabbing a bass and going off on an extended solo as a way of channeling his agression against the Klingons (or whoever....)

Since I am a jazz bassist, or was, I guess the name that came up was the bassist.  Thanks.

Karl Henning

Snerched from Threads.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 18, 2023, 08:21:38 AMI almost (back in the day) bought one of those blueprints of the ship (available at local bookstore).  I wonder what that would go for these days? 
My dad brought me those back from a US business trip in the 70s. I still have them. I don't think they are worth anything.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Ian on February 07, 2024, 02:11:40 AMMy dad brought me those back from a US business trip in the 70s. I still have them. I don't think they are worth anything.
Ah well, you still received a nice gift from a thoughtful parent.  :)

PD

Karl Henning

This guy unrelentingly pans the first feature:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 10, 2024, 12:54:23 PMThis guy unrelentingly pans the first feature:

I love the first film.  I get it suffers in a post Star Wars world of the late 1970's but its inspiration was clearly the more cerebral 2001 complete with overture and five minute docking sequence with spaceships flying past each other to an elegant and sophisticated soundtrack.  I also found it very scary as a kid, never had Star Trek reached so deep in to the unknown but that was definitely a big part of its DNA from the start.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on February 19, 2024, 05:57:37 AMI love the first film.  I get it suffers in a post Star Wars world of the late 1970's but its inspiration was clearly the more cerebral 2001 complete with overture and five minute docking sequence with spaceships flying past each other to an elegant and sophisticated soundtrack.  I also found it very scary as a kid, never had Star Trek reached so deep in to the unknown but that was definitely a big part of its DNA from the start.
Also a fan of the first film.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on February 19, 2024, 05:57:37 AMI love the first film.  I get it suffers in a post Star Wars world of the late 1970's but its inspiration was clearly the more cerebral 2001 complete with overture and five minute docking sequence with spaceships flying past each other to an elegant and sophisticated soundtrack.  I also found it very scary as a kid, never had Star Trek reached so deep in to the unknown but that was definitely a big part of its DNA from the start.

Having lived with the film since its premiere, I've come around to feel that the film isn't as bad as its reputation. I think the strongest points are the scope of the story, the quality of the gorgeous Enterprise model they had access to ( supposedly considered the finest starship model in all of Star Trek filmdom ), and Goldsmith's magnificent score.

Sitting in the theater with my best college buddy, seeing that model revealed in all of its splendor, was pure goosebumps...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

relm1

Here is some interesting Trek trivia for everyone.
* The "Blaster Beam" instrument used throughout The Motion Picture (usually representing the cloud) was invented and performed by Craig Huxley.
* Craig Huxley performed as a kid in several episodes of The Original Series.

* He also played Peter Kirk, Jim's nephew.
* On the Star Trek scoring sessions, he had help from a young man who turned pages for him in the session.  That young man was none other than James Horner.  Who would go on to score Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III - The Search for Spock, along with much, much else.
* Huxley played the blaster beam on those scores as well as Horner's very early, Battle Beyond the Stars. 

Ganondorf

Gul Dukat is one of the greatest Star Trek villains, played brilliantly by Marc Alaimo. One more reason to watch this superb series that is DS9!

relm1

Quote from: Ganondorf on February 29, 2024, 09:06:04 AMGul Dukat is one of the greatest Star Trek villains, played brilliantly by Marc Alaimo. One more reason to watch this superb series that is DS9!

I never got in to DS9.  There was oversaturation of trek for me at that time with TNG and Voyager and DS9 but all my trek friends consider it the best.  I'll get to it one of these days. 

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on March 02, 2024, 05:41:31 AMI never got in to DS9.  There was oversaturation of trek for me at that time with TNG and Voyager and DS9 but all my trek friends consider it the best.  I'll get to it one of these days. 

Similar responses to DS9 here, l never really connected to the series. The only episode I truely enjoyed was the anniversary homage to TOS, Trials and Tribble-ations.

Having said that, l am in fact glad that DS9 came into being, as it attracted an audience who otherwise might have avoided Trek altogether.

( Edited the final sentence, after [ finally ] noticing its rather poor quality. )

DavidW

Quote from: relm1 on March 02, 2024, 05:41:31 AMI never got in to DS9.  There was oversaturation of trek for me at that time with TNG and Voyager and DS9 but all my trek friends consider it the best.  I'll get to it one of these days. 

Funny enough I think that is also a problem with the new trek.  There is just too many shows on paramount+.  Both times execs didn't know that they should leave their audience just wanting a bit more instead of blasting us with too much.  Lessons just not learned!

Karl Henning

Fun review, and it tickled me when he "mispronounced" Data.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on March 18, 2024, 05:05:50 PMNot sure if this falls under the TZ thread or Star Trek thread but here is a new interview with William Shatner talking about both. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/william-shatner-interview-star-trek-career-1235851602/#:~:text=During%20a%20Zoom%20conversation%20in,back%20to%20the%20captain's%20chair.

I just read the interview. It was fun to read, just wish it were longer.  :-\