How big is your cull pile currently?

Started by Brahmsian, March 05, 2023, 07:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many discs/lps/etc. are in your cull pile?

0-10
6 (50%)
11-50
2 (16.7%)
51-100
0 (0%)
101-200
2 (16.7%)
201-500
1 (8.3%)
501-1000
0 (0%)
1001-2000
0 (0%)
2000+
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Brahmsian

Many of you, including myself, talk about adding to the "cull pile".  So, if you are collecting physical media (CDs, LPs, etc.), how large is your current cull pile?

If thread already started on this (couldn't find it in a search), I'm happy to be redirected to it and delete this one.  8)

Brahmsian

For me, just over 100 right now, but I may be adding on to it.

Jo498

About 30 in a box, some of which I am offering at Ebay, then maybe another 50 that are in a special shelf as "undecided"/need to listen to again/compare with others.
I have ca. 5000 discs, so it's a small amount that is getting culled.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Todd

None.  Almost all of my non-opera CDs have been ripped and boxed and it would be more trouble than it's worth to cull them.  Now I either stream new releases before buying them or buy only things I have a keen interest in before listening - eg, the Gieseking box.  I almost certainly will never have to cull new purchases going forward. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roasted Swan

In answer to the thread title - not so big as the Doctor gave me an ointment but thankyou for asking

DavidW

I have a duplicate Simpson cd and that is it.  Since I don't blind buy music anymore (thanks streaming!) I don't own any cds that I don't like.

Jo498

In my case it is sometimes duplicates. When I got the big pink Rubinstein box in late 2013 I had had about two dozen of these discs before (a few of them with recordings already bought a second time for supposedly better transfers!) and it took me about 8 years or so to get rid of them. Similar cases occur with smaller boxes.
And as I almost used up my shelf space I go through some sections, especially with works I have 8,10 or more recordings of and cull them. It's usually very slow work.
I also still buy CDs, usually very cheaply/used, so there will be some among them I cull after listening once or twice because they were not as good/interesting as I had expected
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Spotted Horses

Currently none. All of my CDs are stored on hard disc and no point of deleting anything, even if I don't want it. After I ripped my CDs I culled about 3,000. Every once in a while I realize that I threw out a CD that I hadn't ripped yet. :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Maestro267

Brian

I have one large moving box of CDs in jewel cases I want to sell/get rid of, and another large box of box sets that I didn't enjoy or have duplicated.

Eventually, I'll probably try selling the box sets here on GMG. The single CDs are probably of little to no value, sad to say. (Many were review copies of CDs I didn't like.)

j winter

I have a Xerox paper box in my closet that's about 1/3 full at the moment.  At this point it's mostly duplications from box sets (so my single discs from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, etc.), pulled to save shelf space.  I've pretty much given up on selling them, too much hassle for too little return.  When the box fills up I'll probably take it to the Princeton Record Exchange the next time I go -- they offer VERY little in trade, but for a box full I'll probably get enough to cover the gas & tolls there and back.

After going through the exercises of closing out my late mother's and grandmother's estates, I've definitely come to the realization that being a collector isn't something to undertake for profit, it needs to bring it's own satisfaction.  I buy music (and books, etc.) for my own pleasure in the here and now, without any thought of me or my heirs making money on them in the future -- because unless you have the funds to collect originals by Picasso, it's just not happening.  
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mapman

Quote from: Brian on March 06, 2023, 10:26:39 AMThe single CDs are probably of little to no value, sad to say. (Many were review copies of CDs I didn't like.)

Low value, but not zero. CD lots sell surprisingly well on eBay, often >$1/disc. There may be members here who would be interested, too.

JBS

I don't cull unless it's a duplicate of a recording I have in some box set.
When I do have some, I give them to the Friends of the [local public] Library.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brahmsian

Speaking of cull piles...have any of you "rescued" one or more recordings that you originally had in the to be culled pile?  :D

I think I might have one this morning:  Ginastera string quartets (Naxos).

prémont

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 14, 2023, 04:23:12 AMSpeaking of cull piles...have any of you "rescued" one or more recordings that you originally had in the to be culled pile?  :D

Yes, this happens to me now and then.That's why I leave them in a scrap pile for a while to give me the option of changing my mind.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Brahmsian

Quote from: premont on March 14, 2023, 04:33:34 AMYes, this happens to me now and then.That's why I leave them in a scrap pile for a while to give me the option of changing my mind.

Same here!  I have the box close by.  I pulled out a handful of discs to give another last minute "plea bargain".  ;D

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 06, 2023, 09:13:48 AMCurrently none. All of my CDs are stored on hard disc and no point of deleting anything, even if I don't want it. After I ripped my CDs I culled about 3,000. Every once in a while I realize that I threw out a CD that I hadn't ripped yet. :(

With respect, if you keep the ripped recording you are not culling. And you are also not following the law in many countries, where format shifting is allowed so long as you keep the original source.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

I have a handful of discs, which includes at least one or two classical off the top of my head, in a small cardboard box.

I think most of them have been in the box for around 15 years, and the box has moved house, and I've still not actually disposed of them.

I also have some recordings which are duplicated thanks to box sets, but where I'm a bit annoyed that the box set liner notes don't have as much information. So the smaller release hasn't got marked for removal because I want to have the liner notes. Whether I've read the liner notes any time recently is a separate question best not contemplated.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on March 17, 2023, 03:35:55 AMWith respect, if you keep the ripped recording you are not culling. And you are also not following the law in many countries, where format shifting is allowed so long as you keep the original source.

You're telling me after I rip a disc I'm not allowed to throw it in the trash?  ::)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 17, 2023, 03:49:06 AMYou're telling me after I rip a disc I'm not allowed to throw it in the trash?  ::)

Depends on the exact law where you are, but that's pretty much what I'm saying. EDIT: Looking very carefully at the Australian law, I think throwing it in the trash is the one thing you probably could do. Seems a bit sad.

But the more pertinent point for this thread is that I wouldn't consider that to be culling your collection.