Sir William Walton

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2022, 06:15:29 AM
Interesting. I'll have to read more about this symphony's conception.
I have a feeling John that it was originally conceived as the opening movement (at a faster tempo).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 07, 2022, 09:30:45 AM
I have a feeling John that it was originally conceived as the opening movement (at a faster tempo).

Hmmm...I'll have to do some reading about this, Jeffrey. You've got me rather curious.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2022, 07:29:34 PM
Hmmm...I'll have to do some reading about this, Jeffrey. You've got me rather curious.

Walton originally marked the slow movement "Adagio con melancolia", now amended in printed editions of the score to "Andante con malinconia" ("at a moderate pace, with melancholy").[16] The movement, in C ♯ minor, opens with a melancholy flute melody and later employs a second slow theme; both themes are, in Burton's phrase, "characteristically bitter-sweet lyricism". Walton develops them contrapuntally to a passionate climactic outburst, after which the music subsides and moves to a hushed conclusion.[14] In Walton's earlier drafts the theme of the andante was intended for the opening movement, but he found "it didn't work out, then it became the slow movement".[17] His original plan for the movement included a central scherzando episode, but he removed it from the short score, and nothing of it survives.[16]
From Wiki
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Leo K.

Quote from: vandermolen on May 06, 2022, 09:56:33 AM
That is the full version (with narration) Leo.

Ah I see, thank you!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 07, 2022, 11:06:42 PM
Walton originally marked the slow movement "Adagio con melancolia", now amended in printed editions of the score to "Andante con malinconia" ("at a moderate pace, with melancholy").[16] The movement, in C ♯ minor, opens with a melancholy flute melody and later employs a second slow theme; both themes are, in Burton's phrase, "characteristically bitter-sweet lyricism". Walton develops them contrapuntally to a passionate climactic outburst, after which the music subsides and moves to a hushed conclusion.[14] In Walton's earlier drafts the theme of the andante was intended for the opening movement, but he found "it didn't work out, then it became the slow movement".[17] His original plan for the movement included a central scherzando episode, but he removed it from the short score, and nothing of it survives.[16]
From Wiki

8) Thanks, Jeffrey.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying Sonata for Strings in this album by Amsterdam Sinfonietta.

vandermolen

BBC Music Magazine (October) features a CD of Walton's 2nd Symphony (BBC NOW/Otaka) and the Spitfire Prelude and Fugue. There is a third piece of music on the CD which seemed weirdly prescient to me 'The Three Elizabeths' by Eric Coates, which are musical portraits of Queen Elizabeth 1st, Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother and 'Princess Elizabeth' (who became HM Queen Elizabeth II). Very strange.

vers la flamme

I want the 1st symphony, but I'm torn between three Chandos recordings of it: Gibson/Scottish, Thomson/London, and Gardner/BBC. They all sound good. Anyone have an opinion?

Brian

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 10, 2022, 02:52:32 PM
I want the 1st symphony, but I'm torn between three Chandos recordings of it: Gibson/Scottish, Thomson/London, and Gardner/BBC. They all sound good. Anyone have an opinion?
My first choices are Previn/LSO and Karabits, but Gardner on Chandos is a really good and distinctive interpretation. His whole series is high quality, in top sound, and with a consistent point of view that shows he's thought about the whole Walton repertoire deeply rather than just picking up each score for a quick paycheck. It all tends to be fast, but light and incisive and clear, like a razor, rather than bombastic/over the top.

I don't know the other two but those are conductors I would expect to be very good in this repertoire for different reasons (Thomson's neoclassical sharpness, Gibson's sheer headlong craziness).

Daverz

Previn/LSO (RCA).

vandermolen

Definitely Thomson. The others are both good (the Gibson recording is a bit reverberant). Unlike almost everyone else I'm not keen on Previn's LSO recording (that oboe sounds too confident at the start which wrecks the performance for me - it should have a fragile, tentative quality to it - I prefer the later RPO one). My favourites are Thomson, Sargent (yes!) and Boult (old Pye recording now on Somm and First Hand Remasters). I also like Walton's commercial EMI recording (and his New Zealand SO one). Hamilton Harty's premiere recording from just after the first performance has to be heard, despite the age of the recording - it has a power and urgency unlike any other version. Karabits is good too.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on September 10, 2022, 09:42:09 PM
Definitely Thomson. The others are both good (the Gibson recording is a bit reverberant). Unlike almost everyone else I'm not keen on Previn's LSO recording (that oboe sounds too confident at the start which wrecks the performance for me - it should have a fragile, tentative quality to it - I prefer the later RPO one). My favourites are Thomson, Sargent (yes!) and Boult (old Pye recording now on Somm and First Hand Remasters). I also like Walton's commercial EMI recording (and his New Zealand SO one). Hamilton Harty's premiere recording from just after the first performance has to be heard, despite the age of the recording - it has a power and urgency unlike any other version. Karabits is good too.

Of the Chandos recordings a definite +1 for Thomson.  A very fine obdurate performance of the symphony but with the substantial bonus of Walton's last orchestral work the Varii Capricii - the 5 guitar bagatelles in orchestral form.  This is a work well-worth hearing in its own right but oddly this is its only recording.  Away from Chandos and the other "usual suspects" I think Mackerras' version is very fine too and coupled with a good Symphony No.2.

On a slight tangent Walton Symphony No.2 is the cover disc on this month's BBC Music Magazine with - oddly touchingly - Coates' "The 3 Elizabeths" as one of the couplings..... the 3rd Elizabeth being the most recent queen.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 10, 2022, 11:22:40 PM
Of the Chandos recordings a definite +1 for Thomson.  A very fine obdurate performance of the symphony but with the substantial bonus of Walton's last orchestral work the Varii Capricii - the 5 guitar bagatelles in orchestral form.  This is a work well-worth hearing in its own right but oddly this is its only recording.  Away from Chandos and the other "usual suspects" I think Mackerras' version is very fine too and coupled with a good Symphony No.2.

On a slight tangent Walton Symphony No.2 is the cover disc on this month's BBC Music Magazine with - oddly touchingly - Coates' "The 3 Elizabeths" as one of the couplings..... the 3rd Elizabeth being the most recent queen.
Yes, I should have added Mackerras which is a fine version of both symphonies. Yes, 'The Three Elizabeths' - very touching.

vers la flamme

^I was also looking at the Mackerras on EMI Eminence. Many thanks, boys. I'll pick one and run with it. I have tried many times with Walton's music but none of it really has yet to click, but then again, all I've heard is some of the film music, Façade, and some of the coronation music which struck me on last listen as very pompous, but insubstantial. And then I have also sampled recordings of the first symphony, which sounds like something worth getting into.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 11, 2022, 06:11:48 AM
^I was also looking at the Mackerras on EMI Eminence. Many thanks, boys. I'll pick one and run with it. I have tried many times with Walton's music but none of it really has yet to click, but then again, all I've heard is some of the film music, Façade, and some of the coronation music which struck me on last listen as very pompous, but insubstantial. And then I have also sampled recordings of the first symphony, which sounds like something worth getting into.
I'd recommend Symphony No.1, Viola Concerto (which I prefer to the more famous Violin Concerto), Sinfonia Concertante (piano and orchestra) and Henry V - complete movie score.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on September 10, 2022, 09:42:09 PM

The cover of Harty looks so cool and hip!

Quote from: vandermolen on September 11, 2022, 02:03:47 PM
I'd recommend Symphony No.1, Viola Concerto (which I prefer to the more famous Violin Concerto), Sinfonia Concertante (piano and orchestra) and Henry V - complete movie score.

+1.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 11, 2022, 02:24:44 PM
The cover of Harty looks so cool and hip!

+1.
Oh yes! I had that LP too Manabu - here's the later CD release:

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on September 11, 2022, 11:34:43 PM
Oh yes! I had that LP too Manabu - here's the later CD release:

Thanks for the tip  -   I will try to seek that one out.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on September 11, 2022, 11:51:00 PM
Thanks for the tip  -   I will try to seek that one out.
Well worth it - it was apparently recorded in a freezing cold warehouse shortly after the first performance. The orchestra were described as 'hanging on by their fingertips' but the performance is, in many ways, unrivalled. The CD is also worth having for the viola Concerto.

foxandpeng

I have consistently neglected/overlooked William Walton. I'm not really sure why, other than the fact that there are so many composers out there, and it is challenging to listen to all of them. It isn't that I have never listened, but never with any enduring effort or attention. Immature ear perhaps. or wrong frame of mind before now, or just other things more shiny at the moment in question. Who knows? In light of this thread's recent activity, I am going to try to rectify that.

Listening this morning to his Symphony #1 with Sir Colin Davis and the London SO as a toe in the water. No reason for the choice of performers, other than Spotify seems to like it :)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy