The Audiophile Debate

Started by Todd, July 04, 2023, 04:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 08, 2023, 09:32:06 PMSome audio components, cables included, may be sensitive to extraneous influences such as micro vibrations or electrostatic. Sometimes the use of lifts can have an audible effect. I have heard the effect when using sophisticated Nordost speaker cables. In this case there was an effect of the lifts material also. There was a difference, for example, between pieces of wood and glass.

I can confirm that, using Valhalla Nordost speaker cables and interlinks.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Harry on July 08, 2023, 09:46:26 PMI can confirm that, using Valhalla Nordost speaker cables and interlinks.

If I remember accurately, it's been about 10 years since, Nordost interlink cables have directional arrows.

Harry

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 08, 2023, 09:51:03 PMIf I remember accurately, it's been about 10 years since, Nordost interlink cables have directional arrows.

Correct.

Daverz

Oh, FFS, if members are just going to fill this thread with garbage information, just shut it down.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Daverz on July 08, 2023, 10:17:02 PMOh, FFS, if members are just going to fill this thread with garbage information, just shut it down.

Yes, it's a very typical reaction. Anything that doesn't fit in your head is immediately declared garbage. Convenient, but so pathetic... Open your eyes (or ears) life is wonderful!!

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on July 08, 2023, 09:27:06 AMDoes anyone believe in Cable Lifts?

Literally lifting the veil.  Seismic damping in cables is obviously very important.

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 08, 2023, 08:55:20 PMSome cable producers mark direction arrows on their cables too.

That's called marketing.

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 08, 2023, 08:55:20 PMor if one's ears are full with rubbish and brain's full with wrong concepts.

Poor grammar aside, this perfectly exempifies audiophile self-delusion. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 08, 2023, 08:55:20 PMYes, you got it right.

If you really believe that, be my guest. Just be aware that the laws of physics are against you. And this is my very last reply to you, here or everywhere. There is a Romanian saying:  Nu e nebun cine e nebun, e nebun cine se pune cu nebunul.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on July 09, 2023, 05:04:25 AMIf you really believe that, be my guest. Just be aware that the laws of physics are against you. And this is my very last reply to you, here or everywhere. There is a Romanian saying:  Nu e nebun cine e nebun, e nebun cine se pune cu nebunul.

Florestan and Todd and all others, can we please stop this senseless discussion, it makes me quite sick! Lets agree to disagree.

Todd

Quote from: Harry on July 09, 2023, 05:31:54 AMFlorestan and Todd and all others, can we please stop this senseless discussion, it makes me quite sick! Lets agree to disagree.

You are propagating lies and falsehoods.  Lies and falsehoods should be pointed out everywhere, all the time. 

Spotted Horses

My lord, they charge $650 for a little stand to hold your cable off the floor!  :o  ;D
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 08, 2023, 08:55:20 PMYes, you got it right. You can check info online if you don't believe your own ears or my words. For example, see screen shot from popular UK cable company web site below (https://chord.co.uk/speaker-cable-guide). Some cable producers mark direction arrows on their cables too. Of course one may not hear the difference with crappy components and poor cables, or if one's ears are full with rubbish and brain's full with wrong concepts.

Among those wrong concepts could be the Maxwell Equations, I suppose.

An audio signal is bipolar. The potential difference (voltage) sweeps symmetrically from positive to negative, and similarly the current flow alternates in direction. It certainly is possible to make a gadget that behaves asymmetrically for positive and negative current (a diode, for instance) but there can be no "correct" orientation for a cable having such properties, since the current alternately goes both ways. (Laying aside the fact that a cable is a conductor and should be entirely symmetrical.)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ritter

Quote from: DavidW on July 04, 2023, 06:43:27 AMI agree with Spotted Horses mostly because we always have a pattern of Harry buying something and then three or four other posters reacting.  It is just a matter of balance.  On other forums I've also seen it go the other way where subjectivists will brow beat the minority of objectivists present.  It is difficult to have a healthy conversation when both sides treat the other as fools and idiots.
The level and tone of the discussion has not improved since DavidW posted this. There have been many useful and enlightening contributions from all posters, but also unnecessary ad hominems and name calling. We urge members to avoid these attitudes, and hopefully we will not be forced to temporarily lock this thread.

Thanks!

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 09, 2023, 05:50:46 AMMy lord, they charge $650 for a little stand to hold your cable off the floor!  :o  ;D

Pfft, that's nothing.  IsoAcoustics charges up to $899.00 - but offers sales as low as $699.00 - for this laminated Maple butcher block with feet.  Their ad copy: "Combining the mass of a thick butcher block with IsoAcoustics patented isolation, DELOS provides a low noise floor by eliminating the effects of structure-borne vibrations."

People buy this stuff.

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on July 09, 2023, 05:31:54 AMFlorestan and Todd and all others, can we please stop this senseless discussion, it makes me quite sick! Lets agree to disagree.

I certainly agree to disagree in matters of opinion, preferences and taste --- which are subjective. Physics, though, is a hard science based on facts and data which do not depend on subjective preferences.
Over and Out
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Was the term "name calling" not clearly legible in my post above? Really!

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on July 09, 2023, 06:47:03 AMI certainly agree to disagree in matters of opinion, preferences and taste --- which are subjective. Physics, though, is a hard science based on facts and data which do not depend on subjective preferences. Anyone --- and I mean, anyone --- who really believes that switching the jacks of the same cable results in a different sound is a madman --- and I mean, a madman, ie one who lives in a world of his own which has got little, if anything, to do with the real world.

Over and out.

You really do not know when to stop do you Andrei, which makes me sad beyond believe.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 09, 2023, 06:51:48 AMWas the term "name calling" not clearly legible in my post above? Really!

You know me only too well, Rafael. I just couldn't help it. Feel free to take any action you deem fit. I do not retract a iota of what I wrote. ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on July 09, 2023, 06:54:55 AMYou really do not know when to stop do you Andrei,

Actually, I do: when it's too late.  ;D

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on July 09, 2023, 06:55:12 AMYou know me only too well, Rafael. I just couldn't help it. Feel free to take any action you deem fit. I do not retract a iota of what I wrote. ;D
Action has been taken.

Best regards,

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 09, 2023, 06:59:24 AMAction has been taken.

Great! Very good and thank you. I really mean it, my friend.

QuoteBest regards,

Likewise.  8)