Bachtoven's departure and return

Started by Bachtoven, August 03, 2023, 12:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven

Deleted

ritter

Welcome back, Bachtoven.

Sorry to hear about your cat's illness, and hope GMG provides the distraction you seek.

I fully agree with your two takeaways. Wise words.

All the best,

Rafael

DavidW

I'm sorry to hear about that Bachtoven.  Ever since my pet dog developed arthritis it has been on my mind.  While he is fine now, I think I probably only have another 2-3 years with him.

Mapman

Quote from: Bachtoven on August 03, 2023, 01:00:46 PMCount yourself as lucky--I have only a month or two.

This was take in better days--about two years ago:

I hope you can enjoy the remaining time with your cat. I'm sorry to hear that she's not doing well. When my cat had cancer, I think he enjoyed watching "cat TV" (videos of birds and mice) on YouTube.

brewski

Welcome back, and adding my sympathy for your cat. I often think about the unwritten contracts we sign with pets, who will almost always leave before we do. But I hope you find comfort knowing that you gave Lucy a lovely, wonderful life, which she clearly reciprocated.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bachtoven on August 03, 2023, 12:47:27 PMSome of you are wondering why I abruptly deleted my account. On Tuesday, I received the devastating news from a biopsy report that my beloved cat Lucy has a terminal illness and doesn't have long to live (I don't want to get into details). I decided I'd rather spend what little time I have with her rather than wasting it in forums. Incidental to my decision is the disgust at frequent arguments over trivial topics. Today I reconsidered and decided maybe these forums will provide a desperately needed distraction.

Two takeaways from my experience: First, if you have healthy pets, love them with all your heart and cherish every second you spend together. Second, don't waste precious time arguing with strangers over petty topics; if you disagree, just move on. Life is too short.
Sorry for your Lucy. Glad you've returned. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

First of all I am happy you are back.
Secondly I understand your distress completely about Lucy.
You have my compassion.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

AnotherSpin

We can't have pets because we have moved from place to place and country to country for a while. With the outbreak of war, the uncertainty has only increased; we literally don't know where we will be in a few days or weeks. Now we live in a little once fishermen village on the seashore a few dozen kilometres from Odessa. A kitty came to us, lives in the backyard of the house. We named her Lisa.

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on August 03, 2023, 11:25:29 PMFirst of all I am happy you are back.
Secondly I understand your distress completely about Lucy.
You have my compassion.

+ 1.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Sorry about Lucy's illness @Bachtoven .
Hope you find some distraction and solace in the music and the company here  :) 
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Bachtoven on August 03, 2023, 01:00:46 PMCount yourself as lucky--I have only a month or two.

This was take in better days--about two years ago:

I'm so very sorry to hear about Lucy.  She's lucky to have such loving and kind "owners" [You know what I mean in terms of cats...].

All the best to all of you,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on August 04, 2023, 12:25:11 AMWe can't have pets because we have moved from place to place and country to country for a while. With the outbreak of war, the uncertainty has only increased; we literally don't know where we will be in a few days or weeks. Now we live in a little once fishermen village on the seashore a few dozen kilometres from Odessa. A kitty came to us, lives in the backyard of the house. We named her Lisa.
Do you feed her?  Is she feral or does she let you pet her at all?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 04, 2023, 08:39:24 AMDo you feed her?  Is she feral or does she let you pet her at all?

PD

Yes, we feed her. She was very fearful at first, but over time she became very friendly and playful.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on August 04, 2023, 08:55:21 AMYes, we feed her. She was very fearful at first, but over time she became very friendly and playful.
Oh, yay!  :) ❤️

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Cato

Quote from: Bachtoven on August 03, 2023, 03:08:04 PMThank you very much. She comes in the living room when my wife and I watch TV at night...she definitely pays attention when we watch episodes of "Nature" on PBS. She also seems to enjoy "listening" to music with me in the mornings--she curls up in my lap for an hour or more.

When I was a teenager in the 1960's, a small, limping-on-the-left-back-leg, "tiger" cat (she did not really have stripes, but was all kinds of medium to dark brown with a little black here and there) took up residence in the garage (it was built c. 1920 and the doors gapped where they folded).

The cat seemed miserable, so I gave it the traditional saucer of milk: it was the early winter.  This went on for a few days.

My mother looked out the window and said: "Where did that cat come from?"

I: "I don't know.  It showed up a couple days ago: I've been giving it some milk."

She: "Oh my God!  So now we have a cat!"

I: "Oh?  I just thought it would go back home."

She: "When you feed a cat, your house becomes its home!"

I did not know that rule!  ;D

Worse, some weeks later we discovered "Hippy" (it was the 60's and remember, she had a limp in the left hip) was pregnant with three kittens.  One was born dead and deformed (possibly from the injury?) and we gave to other two away.

Anyway, my mother and father accepted the newcomer, as did my brother and sister.  Hippy hung around with me, of course, but also gravitated toward my mother.

Recall that the cat came to us as a pregnant adult c. 1964.  Age unknown!

Over 20 years later (!), having lost most of her teeth, Hippy died in her sleep: I still remember my mother calling me about it.  My family had moved far away from me at that time, and I had my own family and was in my mid-30's. 

Yes, an occasion for sighs and memories!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)