Richard Davis - incredible bassist - R.I.P.

Started by Scion7, September 08, 2023, 08:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Mr. Davis passed away Wednesday.
His contributions to Jazz (and pop!) were immense.
One of the very best players in a genre that includes Ron Carter, Scott LaFaro, Stanley Clarke, Paul Chambers, Art Davis, etc., etc.

He played on many of the iconic Blue Note and Prestige sessions.

He even helped out Buffalo Springfield, Van Morrison, and others in the pop field.

Several of his solo albums were very good - I strongly recommend any Jazz fan to pick up Muses For, at least.

He was 93 at the time of his death.  But the great works he played on of Booker Ervin, the Jones/Lewis Orchestra, albums like Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch and Andrew Hill's Point of Departure and Judgement are immortal.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

San Antone

Fantastic bassist, and one who brought his entire musical self to whatever project he was working on. 

T. D.

R.I.P.
I've always been particularly fond of the Richard Davis / Jaki Byard / Alan Dawson rhythm section. Didn't appear on all that many recordings, but they're excellent.

Scion7

^ besides the Booker Ervin "Book" series, there is also this amazing record:

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."