BIS Records taken over by Apple

Started by Papy Oli, September 05, 2023, 03:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Olivier

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 05, 2023, 03:56:25 AMBIS Records to become part of Apple.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/classical%20music%20news/article/bis-records-to-become-part-of-apple

Which raises the question, is it better for your favorite record label to be absorbed by Apple, or by Universal?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Harry

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 05, 2023, 06:02:36 AMWhich raises the question, is it better for your favorite record label to be absorbed by Apple, or by Universal?

As long as the BIS CD'S will also appear on Qobuz its all fine by me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 05, 2023, 06:02:36 AMWhich raises the question, is it better for your favorite record label to be absorbed by Apple, or by Universal?

Unpleasant but not unexpected news. BIS sound quality standards will be adapted to airpods now.

Harry

Quote from: AnotherSpin on September 05, 2023, 06:08:29 AMUnpleasant but not unexpected news. BIS sound quality standards will be adapted to airpods now.

That sucks majorly! :o

Madiel

Given that Apple knows absolutely nothing about physical product, I'd prefer Universal!

If future BIS releases are download only, no CDs, that will immediately reduce my interest.

EDIT: Also, if this translates to BIS albums only being available on the Apple Classical app and not on other streaming services, it's a total disaster.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on September 05, 2023, 06:17:18 AMGiven that Apple knows absolutely nothing about physical product, I'd prefer Universal!

If future BIS releases are download only, no CDs, that will immediately reduce my interest.

EDIT: Also, if this translates to BIS albums only being available on the Apple Classical app and not on other streaming services, it's a total disaster.

Just want to add. My new mac book air M2 reproduces music magnificently.

Brian

Like the Hyperion news, I guess this is "wait and see." BIS is my favorite label and I don't want their gorgeous presentations, eclectic repertoire, and talent for identifying great artists to be disrupted. If Apple funds its continuation as a prestige project and learns from the eClassical shop architecture, that would be great. (Love the pricing by the minute.) If Apple shuts it down as unprofitable in 2 years, that will be a real tragedy.

Also, unlike Hyperion, BIS has always kept old catalogue items in print and on streaming, so there's no potential upside of "finally they'll add a feature." Just whether or not they preserve its legacy.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on September 05, 2023, 06:52:10 AMLike the Hyperion news, I guess this is "wait and see." BIS is my favorite label and I don't want their gorgeous presentations, eclectic repertoire, and talent for identifying great artists to be disrupted. If Apple funds its continuation as a prestige project and learns from the eClassical shop architecture, that would be great. (Love the pricing by the minute.) If Apple shuts it down as unprofitable in 2 years, that will be a real tragedy.

Also, unlike Hyperion, BIS has always kept old catalogue items in print and on streaming, so there's no potential upside of "finally they'll add a feature." Just whether or not they preserve its legacy.

Don't count on it. And also if BIS  would only be available on Apple, and not on other streaming sevices, that in itself would be a major disaster too.

Madiel

Apple is a company with form in deciding it wants to be a content provider, not just a platform. A practice I genuinely wish would die.

And the results are not great. Not least because they can't name things properly.

I have an Apple TV box (hardware). Among the apps on it (software) is "Apple TV", usable with a variety of different streaming services, which I can also use on my iPhone. But then, sometime after I started using the Apple TV hardware with the Apple TV software, Apple decided to get into the business of creating and streaming their own exclusive TV shows, and the result is Apple TV+ (content streaming).

Among other things, this led to one of the worst support phone calls I've ever been involved in. Trying to have a sensible conversation about an issue with a non-Apple TV+ show on Apple TV-software that happens whether or not you use Apple TV-hardware is... it's a fucking disaster is what it is. From then on I used workarounds when similar problems arose with other TV shows, rather than try to get some version of Apple to fix it. You should see what Apple TV-software does to the TV show Glee...

So don't be surprised if one day you're trying to work out whether Apple Classical recordings are available outside of Apple Classical. And certainly don't be surprised if Apple Classical tells you it's nothing to do with them, you'll need to speak with Apple Classical.

Pray that the BIS name survives, if nothing else.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Apple shutdown Primephonic.  If they shutdown eclassical or have BIS stop printing cds, I wouldn't be happy.  If they made BIS' catalog Apple exclusive I wouldn't be happy.

Spotted Horses

If BIS catalog became Apple Music exclusive, that would be unsatisfactory because the only stream lossless, they don't sell lossless downloads (and who knows how long they will sell MP3 (or whatever they call it) downloads.

The bottom line is that BIS (like Hyperion) is an enterprise driven by the passion of the founder, and founders don't live forever. Something had to happen. Probably a takeover by Universal will be a better option for Hyperion. Can't expect Universal to acquire both, why didn't Warner get BIS?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

It sounds from his letter like RvB had firm views on what he wanted a purchaser to look like and may have vetted their commitments to his various theories about streaming, downloads, surround sound files, etc.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on September 05, 2023, 11:04:07 AMIt sounds from his letter like RvB had firm views on what he wanted a purchaser to look like and may have vetted their commitments to his various theories about streaming, downloads, surround sound files, etc.

The main source of hope is that RvB would not trifle with his legacy.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Just regurgitates the press release.

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 05, 2023, 02:01:15 PMYou all might find this article to be of interest:  https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/09/05/apple-music-acquires-famed-classical-label-bis

PD

QuoteIt's also not known how long it will take for the BIS Records catalog to appear in Apple Music Classical.

What is he talking about!?  Isn't BIS already on Apple as it is everywhere else?  Did this journalist not do any research?

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on September 05, 2023, 03:42:40 PMWhat is he talking about!?  Isn't BIS already on Apple as it is everywhere else?  Did this journalist not do any research?

Well, given that all the blurb SAYS this will somehow increase BIS distribution, I can't entirely blame him.

And that's one of the things in the press releases that really sticks out. BIS is already a label that is very readily available. That's one of the great things about it. So it's rather difficult to see how access could be improved. The fear is that access will actually go backwards.

71 dB

Just noticed this happened. I am a physical media guy. This Apple thing means I am done with BIS.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

I hope that they will still manufacture CDs.  I just read RvB's complete statement on their (BIS's) website and he doesn't say anything about it.  In any event, I'm glad that he and his company's personnel will be retained.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter