William Alwyn

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

The composer who I associate Alwyn with is William Walton. There is something about the perky and lush orchestration and the rhythms they used that seem to me rather characteristic. Perhaps Alwyn is less ceremonial and less close to the "Queen", though.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

springrite

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 03, 2022, 04:56:49 PM
The composer who I associate Alwyn with is William Walton. There is something about the perky and lush orchestration and the rhythms they used that seem to me rather characteristic. Perhaps Alwyn is less ceremonial and less close to the "Queen", though.
Yes, but Walton's music is "English" more in an "imperialistic" way. Alwyn is not like that at all.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: springrite on February 03, 2022, 10:22:58 PM
Yes, but Walton's music is "English" more in an "imperialistic" way. Alwyn is not like that at all.

Exactly, there is that noticeable differentiation between both.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 03, 2022, 10:55:50 AM
A perfectly good point Lol. No blue touch paper going off here - after all it isn't Downing Street  8)
Actually Bax and Alwyn's music is quite different, although I feel that Alwyn's 3rd Symphony, for example, has something epic and Baxian about it. In some ways I see Rubbra as the successor to Vaughan Williams as there is a kind-of spiritual quality to his music.

Coincidently Jeffrey, listening last night to a piece I know you like very much - but not your preferred recording - Alwyn's Pastoral Fantasia, I thought the same. A spiritual quality and the stamp of RVW all over it. So maybe there is more to connect Rubbra and Alwyn then separates them.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vers la flamme

The first piano concerto is really great. Quite neoclassical, very motivically oriented. I have the Howard Shelley/Hickox/LSO on Chandos. Thinking maybe I ought to get the Naxos recording with Peter Donohoe. I generally like his work.

kyjo

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 04, 2022, 03:06:02 AM
The first piano concerto is really great. Quite neoclassical, very motivically oriented. I have the Howard Shelley/Hickox/LSO on Chandos. Thinking maybe I ought to get the Naxos recording with Peter Donohoe. I generally like his work.

Great, now listen to the 2nd PC! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on February 04, 2022, 06:58:47 AM

are you sure you're not on royalties for the 2nd PC........!?!? :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 04, 2022, 12:50:04 AM
Coincidently Jeffrey, listening last night to a piece I know you like very much - but not your preferred recording - Alwyn's Pastoral Fantasia, I thought the same. A spiritual quality and the stamp of RVW all over it. So maybe there is more to connect Rubbra and Alwyn then separates them.
Good point Lol and I can see what you mean.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Quote from: kyjo on February 04, 2022, 06:58:47 AM

Need to get the Naxos disc with the two. But I've bought a ton of Alwyn lately. I ought to take a break. I'll get on that eventually.

Irons

A hugely enjoyable CD of Alwyn's works for solo piano. "Night Thoughts" although slight at 4.51 I thought a masterpiece but the biggest and most important work are the Fantasy-Waltzes. Fascinating to read that Alwyn wrote and dedicated them to the great New Zealand pianist Richard Farrell who played the first performance at Broadcasting House. The time-line is very short as Alwyn composed the waltzes in 1956/7 and Farrell was tragically killed aged 32 in a car accident at Arundel, Sussex in 1958.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on June 30, 2022, 10:28:17 PM
Important piece of Alwyn news.
Joe Alwyn is the great grandson of the composer  ;D
https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/01/taylor-swift-plans-wedding-with-joe-alwyn-after-secret-engagement-16923904/

Well, I can't say I predicted that.  Nice - wish them both well.

Irons

The finale resting place of William Alwyn and Doreen Carwithen could not be more peaceful and yet at the same time more impressive.

A massive medieval church Holy Trinity cannot but be the focal point of the tiny village of Blythburgh. I can honestly say I didn't see another human soul during our visit.

Just outside the church gate an angel atop of a high totem caught my eye. Below is a plaque bearing the names of residents of Blythburgh who perished in the two world wars. The list is not that long but as I say Blythburgh is small.

Finding Alwyn's grave turned out to be much easier then Britten's last year although all we had to go on was the shape of the headstone. Coincidently the distance between Britten's and Alwyn's final resting places is only 12 miles. I did wonder if there was a closeness between the two men in life.

Papy Oli

Lovely pictures, Lol. That church in Blyhtburgh is gorgeous inside and out.

Enjoy your trip in Suffolk/East Anglia. It is a special neck of the woods.
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 20, 2022, 07:53:48 AM

+1 Great photos Lol. Good to see Alwyn's and Doreen's graves.

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 20, 2022, 07:53:48 AM

I would have liked to have entered the church, Olivier. But unfortunately only open to the public on Thursdays.

As the rest of the UK sweltered we enjoyed a sea breeze off the coast of Aldeburgh. 8)

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2022, 10:32:10 PM
+1 Great photos Lol. Good to see Alwyn's and Doreen's graves.

I thought maybe seeking out composer's graves a bit odd, Jeffrey. But speaking to someone while away who combs the country looking for birdbaths I felt better. If nothing else a reason to visit a town or country.

Maestro267

Nothing wrong with paying one's respects.

DavidW

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2022, 07:43:42 AM
I thought maybe seeking out composer's graves a bit odd, Jeffrey.

It provides a tangible connection to someone you admire but only knew abstractly.