William Alwyn

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: tjguitar on October 30, 2011, 11:41:16 AM
There's been several Alwyn CDs on Naxos in the past couple years that I have not heard yet. Any thoughts?

I have the very enjoyable Naxos CD with Autumn Legend - a lovely work but I like the newly issued Barbirolli recording even more, although allowances need to be made for the age of the recordings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

I still haven't heard 'The' Alwyn work. The highly touted SQ2 certainly didn't move like the corresponding Arnold work,... what do you think?

snyprrr

Fëanor

Quote from: snyprrr on June 08, 2014, 05:36:39 PM
I still haven't heard 'The' Alwyn work. The highly touted SQ2 certainly didn't move like the corresponding Arnold work,... what do you think?

I like them both.  The Arnold SQ No. 2 is certainly more emotionally up-beat, the Alwyn more introspective, I's say.

snyprrr

Quote from: Fëanor on June 09, 2014, 07:38:48 AM
I like them both.  The Arnold SQ No. 2 is certainly more emotionally up-beat, the Alwyn more introspective, I's say.

Wait ::)...

We've been having this conversation for a while now, haha! :laugh: I'll continue trying 'Quiet Waters', though my decades long expectation of it (through PenguinGuide) was shattered by the actual hearing. Will que up

snyprrr

sorry, must bump Alwyn with Arnold- it's the Rule

Fëanor

Quote from: snyprrr on June 10, 2014, 07:55:52 AM
sorry, must bump Alwyn with Arnold- it's the Rule

Fine.  Maybe you should lay off the Penguin Guide.  ;)

vandermolen

I have been listening to Symphony 4. I think that the opening movement is possible the best thing Alwyn wrote and, in a way, complete in itself:
[asin]B000000ALW[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 08, 2015, 01:10:32 PMI have been listening to Symphony 4. I think that the opening movement is possible the best thing Alwyn wrote and, in a way, complete in itself:
[asin]B000000ALW[/asin]

Agreed, the majestatic Fourth (1959) is his rightful claim to fame (though I always loved the very atmospheric Second, too).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 08, 2015, 09:47:28 PM
Agreed, the majestatic Fourth (1959) is his rightful claim to fame (though I always loved the very atmospheric Second, too).

Me too and I think that No 2 is the greatest of Alwyn's symphonies. I am not that keen on the rather bombastic and repetitive second movement of Symphony 4 after the wonderful opening movement. Having said that I think it works better in the Hickox version than in the composer's own recording. No 2 is excellent throughout.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 09, 2015, 01:20:31 PMMe too and I think that No 2 is the greatest of Alwyn's symphonies. I am not that keen on the rather bombastic and repetitive second movement of Symphony 4 after the wonderful opening movement. Having said that I think it works better in the Hickox version than in the composer's own recording. No 2 is excellent throughout.

I see. I missed Alwyn's own recording of the Fourth, in the old days, only knew his Lyrita recordings of the Second and also the Sinfonietta for Strings, both very well done IIRC. So, I only know the Fourth from the Chandos-Hickox version, and never had any problems with that obstinate second movement: in my ears, it works very well.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Maestro267

I ordered the complete Alwyn symphony cycle on Naxos a few days ago, and two of the discs arrived this morning (as already posted in the Purchases thread). I've been meaning to get these discs for a while now, after hearing the Symphony No. 1 at the Proms a few years ago.

And yet another fine composer born in Northampton. With Malcolm Arnold and Edmund Rubbra hailing from that part of the world too, I'm beginning to think of Northampton as the second great hub of 19th/20th-century British composers, after the Three Choirs region, home of Elgar, Holst, RVW et al.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on February 27, 2016, 12:42:45 AM
I ordered the complete Alwyn symphony cycle on Naxos a few days ago, and two of the discs arrived this morning (as already posted in the Purchases thread). I've been meaning to get these discs for a while now, after hearing the Symphony No. 1 at the Proms a few years ago.

And yet another fine composer born in Northampton. With Malcolm Arnold and Edmund Rubbra hailing from that part of the world too, I'm beginning to think of Northampton as the second great hub of 19th/20th-century British composers, after the Three Choirs region, home of Elgar, Holst, RVW et al.
Yes, interesting about all those composers from Northampton. I was sorry to miss that Prom performance of Alwyn's 1st Symphony. You should enjoy the fine Naxos cycle. I'd also recommend the Naxos CD with Alwyn's shorter orchestral music including 'The Magic Island' which is a very atmospheric tone poem depicting Prospero's island from The Tempest and the charming Elizabethan Dances and Aphrodite in Aulis:
[asin]B000JVSVEM[/asin]

Maestro267

Having received the third disc of Alwyn symphonies this morning, I've just completed a full cycle of listening to all five symphonies. I think I'm really going to enjoy getting to know these fine works. Quite often the music reminded me of Walton, which is not a bad thing at all.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on February 29, 2016, 12:48:24 PM
Having received the third disc of Alwyn symphonies this morning, I've just completed a full cycle of listening to all five symphonies. I think I'm really going to enjoy getting to know these fine works. Quite often the music reminded me of Walton, which is not a bad thing at all.
Which is your favourite symphony? They are all strong. John Ireland thought that No.3 was the strongest Brirish symphony since Elgar's 2nd although I wouldn't agree. I think that the greatest is No.2 although the opening movement of Symphony 4 is magnificent - like a symphony in itself. No.1 is underrated I think.

Scion7

Been checking out the CHANDOS "Chamber Music Vol.2" disc -

Sonata for Oboe & Piano
Sonata for Flute & Piano
Clarinet Sonata
Sonata Impromptu for Violin & Viola
   and
the Divertimento for solo Flute - Kate Hill does outstanding work on this

- from this set I like a lot. Nice work.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on March 01, 2016, 11:47:35 PM
Which is your favourite symphony? They are all strong. John Ireland thought that No.3 was the strongest Brirish symphony since Elgar's 2nd although I wouldn't agree. I think that the greatest is No.2 although the opening movement of Symphony 4 is magnificent - like a symphony in itself. No.1 is underrated I think.

Having listened to all of them several times now, I think No. 2 might be my current favourite. But I find things I enjoy about all 5 symphonies.

Scion7

For a classic film. The Muir is fine but it was taken at a faster pace (with Alwyn's agreement) to 'fit' the runtime of the film - the CD has the music performed per the notation on the score.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 12, 2016, 05:39:26 AM
Having listened to all of them several times now, I think No. 2 might be my current favourite. But I find things I enjoy about all 5 symphonies.
I very much agree.

calyptorhynchus

I had the opposite experience to one of the contributors here, I listened to Alwyn's String Quartets and thought they were much better than Arnold's.

I haven't had much luck with appreciating the symphonies, they never seem to work. The 4th is the best though, in my opinion.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton