William Alwyn

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I'm going to try and promote Alwyn's music for awhile if not directly than indirectly through the composer's photo as my avatar. ;) I think he's shamefully neglected even though there are a good many recordings of his music available now. Works that spring immediately to mind as being favorites: Symphonies 2 & 3, Lyra Angelica, Pastoral Fantasia, and the Violin Concerto.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I have not heard any Alwyn before. I do love British music (a LOT) and I am fanatical about Helen Grime, Birtwistle, Knussen, Ferneyhough and Adès especially.....where should I start with Alwyn?

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on July 18, 2016, 06:49:47 PM
I have not heard any Alwyn before. I do love British music (a LOT) and I am fanatical about Helen Grime, Birtwistle, Knussen, Ferneyhough and Adès especially.....where should I start with Alwyn?

Check out Lyra Angelica, which is his 'harp concerto'. A gorgeous piece and one of my favorite pieces of music. Bear in mind that Alwyn is much more conservative than those composers you listed. I'd say he's a Modernist, but on the more friendly side of that coin. :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2016, 07:01:30 PM
Check out Lyra Angelica, which is his 'harp concerto'. A gorgeous piece and one of my favorite pieces of music. Bear in mind that Alwyn is much more conservative than those composers you listed. I'd say he's a Modernist, but on the more friendly side of that coin. :)

Thank you. I will check this piece out. :)

vandermolen

All the symphonies are good - No.2 possibly the best and Alwyn's own favourite. I have just discovered his neglected Violin Concerto which is a marvellous and shame on the BBC for rejecting it. Also don't forget his magnificent film score for 'Odd Man Out'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2016, 12:56:29 AM
All the symphonies are good - No.2 possibly the best and Alwyn's own favourite. I have just discovered his neglected Violin Concerto which is a marvellous and shame on the BBC for rejecting it. Also don't forget his magnificent film score for 'Odd Man Out'.
Thanks for this. I barely listen to film scores as I find most film scores rather pointless and derivative when taken away from the film itself, but sometimes there are some brilliantly original scores around. I will check it out in due time. :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2016, 05:50:53 PM
I'm going to try and promote Alwyn's music for awhile if not directly than indirectly through the composer's photo as my avatar. ;) I think he's shamefully neglected even though there are a good many recordings of his music available now. Works that spring immediately to mind as being favorites: Symphonies 2 & 3, Lyra Angelica, Pastoral Fantasia, and the Violin Concerto.
Actually I really need to study some harp music. I have been asked to compose a piece for harp and percussion by a friend who adores playing new music. Unfortunately I am a complete n00b at anything harp...................................

vandermolen

Quote from: jessop on July 19, 2016, 01:10:32 AM
Thanks for this. I barely listen to film scores as I find most film scores rather pointless and derivative when taken away from the film itself, but sometimes there are some brilliantly original scores around. I will check it out in due time. :)
Odd Man Out is, to me, quite symphonic and Symphony 1 has echoes of Alwyn's film scores but I love both of these works
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2016, 03:49:08 AM
Odd Man Out is, to me, quite symphonic ...

Yes, by far his best score.  Great movie, too!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on July 19, 2016, 01:15:38 AM
Actually I really need to study some harp music. I have been asked to compose a piece for harp and percussion by a friend who adores playing new music. Unfortunately I am a complete n00b at anything harp...................................

Study the harp parts to Debussy's Sonata for Flute, Viola, and Harp. Plenty of good stuff there.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 21, 2016, 06:19:48 PM
Study the harp parts to Debussy's Sonata for Flute, Viola, and Harp. Plenty of good stuff there.
Thanks, I will certainly be looking at that in the future. For now, I am looking at things by possibly the best composer for all things harp: Carlos Salzedo.

SymphonicAddict

Yesterday I knew the true meaning of beauty, at least one of the most outstanding examples of it: Lyra Angelica

I can't believe that a human being could compose such a heavenly piece of art. Alwyn had to be inspired by beings from another astral plane  :o

This splendid concerto is a milestone in music IMHO. It's like a weave of diaphanous clouds made by angels and cherubs.

I think I will not recover from this experience in a long time (maybe never).

Is there another work by Alwyn in that same style?

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 17, 2017, 02:16:05 PM
Yesterday I knew the true meaning of beauty, at least one of the most outstanding examples of it: Lyra Angelica

I can't believe that a human being could compose such a heavenly piece of art. Alwyn had to be inspired by beings from another astral plane  :o

This splendid concerto is a milestone in music IMHO. It's like a weave of diaphanous clouds made by angels and cherubs.

Oh yes, Lyra Angelica is a gorgeous piece. Another work of his in a similar vein? You might want to try to Pastoral Fantasia.

https://www.youtube.com/v/MxzAjW0inQs

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 17, 2017, 02:16:05 PM

At the end of his life Alwyn's wife Mary asked him what worked he'd most like to be remembered by and it was 'Lyra Angelica'. His own favourite of his Symphonies was No.2 which is my own favourite of his works. John's (MI's) suggestion above is, I agree, the closest of Alwyn's works to Lyra Angelica and I've heard it described as Alwyn's 'Swan of Tuonela'.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 18, 2017, 05:08:24 AM
At the end of his life Alwyn's wife Mary asked him what worked he'd most like to be remembered by and it was 'Lyra Angelica'. His own favourite of his Symphonies was No.2 which is my own favourite of his works. John's (MI's) suggestion above is, I agree, the closest of Alwyn's works to Lyra Angelica and I've heard it described as Alwyn's 'Swan of Tuonela'.
Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2017, 07:52:40 PM
Oh yes, Lyra Angelica is a gorgeous piece. Another work of his in a similar vein? You might want to try to Pastoral Fantasia.

https://www.youtube.com/v/MxzAjW0inQs

Many thanks for your responses! I'm gonna hear it

SymphonicAddict

Pastoral Fantasia is lovely, it's more earthly than Lyra Angelica. In some fragments it reminded me of The Lark Ascending.

This composer is so interesting. I'm gonna explore more of his music. I think I will get big surprises.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 18, 2017, 08:28:01 PM
Pastoral Fantasia is lovely, it's more earthly than Lyra Angelica. In some fragments it reminded me of The Lark Ascending.

This composer is so interesting. I'm gonna explore more of his music. I think I will get big surprises.

Well, let's be fair, Lyra Angelica is a unique work and I was struggling a bit when you asked for a work that was similar to it. Alwyn's style varies from work to work but he does have a musical voice of his own. I wouldn't say he's anywhere near a favorite of mine, but he's written some excellent music.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 18, 2017, 08:32:10 PM
Well, let's be fair, Lyra Angelica is a unique work and I was struggling a bit when you asked for a work that was similar to it. Alwyn's style varies from work to work but he does have a musical voice of his own. I wouldn't say he's anywhere near a favorite of mine, but he's written some excellent music.

It's true: Lyra Angelica is utterly phenomenal. On the other hand, I've seen some good comments about his symphonies and the film score 'Odd Man Out'. Perhaps I'll listen to them first when I can.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 18, 2017, 09:22:03 PM
It's true: Lyra Angelica is utterly phenomenal. On the other hand, I've seen some good comments about his symphonies and the film score 'Odd Man Out'. Perhaps I'll listen to them first when I can.
Actually I think that the 'Swan of Tuonela' comment above referers to 'Autumn Legend' (on the CD recommended by John/MI) rather than the eloquent Pastoral Fantasia, so you need to hear that one too. 'Odd Man Out' is a fine score.

Maestro267

The symphonies are awesome! No. 5 is somewhat spicier than the other 4, but it's a wonderful condensing of the 4-movement symphonic form into a single 14-minute movement.