Main Menu

PRINCE

Started by ando, October 24, 2023, 06:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ando

Got tired of looking at the obit thread. Mr. Rogers' music is still alive and kicking in my world. How bout yours?  :D

Why are his off the cuff jam sessions some of his best stuff? Can only be grateful someone caught 'em. Here's a nice one. The visuals, well...

CopenHagen SoundCheCk (2002)

San Antone

Pretty cool - sounds like late career Miles Davis - but actually .... better.  :o

ando

From the Purple Rain period, this is the full version of Computer Blue. Not sure if it's on the PR anniversary release. But I will say, listening to this extended cut, that the edited album version was done well. It's just too bad producers were so terrified of extended takes on "commercial" music and no wonder Prince ran in the opposite direction with his next project.

ando

Great rehearsal clip

ando

Never listened to the additional tracks on Prince's Super Deluxe edition of 1999. From afar they seemed superfluous, stuff I'd already heard. But I'm diggin all the extended, impromptu stuff now. 

Purple Music

ando

BATMAN: The Complete Soundtrack (1989, Max Steiner, Danny Elfman, Prince)

ando

Nice live version of Sweet Thing

ando

This is one of my absolute favorite Prince studio tracks. Just engineered beautifully.

Sign o' The Times

how he came to write it -

ando

Nice find by SimonNZ. I've heard stuff from the vault before and (for the most part) like Sheila E. said, I think music in the vault should stay there.

ando

Love his rehearsal stuff. Just Prince and his various bands jamming...

KevinP

Prince is someone I like but want to love yet can't quite get there. I have several of his albums but don't know any of them all the way through, though I do love certain songs.

I take that back. I've listened to his 1979 self-titled album enough times that I would recognise any track if I turned on the radio on mid-song.

Which probably points to the problem: he's absolutely got the talent; I think it's the era that keeps me at arm's length. Entirely a reflection on me and not him. But I will keep trying.

ando

Quote from: KevinP on January 13, 2024, 12:10:18 AMPrince is someone I like but want to love yet can't quite get there. I have several of his albums but don't know any of them all the way through, though I do love certain songs.

I take that back. I've listened to his 1979 self-titled album enough times that I would recognise any track if I turned on the radio on mid-song.

Which probably points to the problem: he's absolutely got the talent; I think it's the era that keeps me at arm's length. Entirely a reflection on me and not him. But I will keep trying.
Ha. Ya, there are only a handful of albums by Prince that I love listening to in their entirety. But that goes for every artist, which is undoubtedly why playlists are so popular. I know Prince quickly bored of playing songs from Purple Rain but you have to admit that whoever did the engineering/editing for that lp was a genius. Looks like it was a team led by Susan Rogers and Peggy McCreary, much of it at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. Here's Susan Rogers inside the studio talking about working with him:

ando

covering LED Zeppelin -

ando

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ando on January 24, 2024, 11:04:10 AMcovering LED Zeppelin -

What was that that he said?  "No format tonight"?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ando

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 25, 2024, 05:24:35 AMWhat was that that he said?  "No format tonight"?

PD
Yep. Always liked him best when he went off-script. Here's Dave Grohl with a Prince/Whole Lotta Love anecdote -

ando

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 25, 2024, 05:24:35 AMWhat was that that he said?...
PD
Got a favorite Prince tune? And, yeah I asked (in part) to air my favorite, but upon seriously reflection I'm not sure that I have just one!  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ando on January 25, 2024, 07:33:05 AMGot a favorite Prince tune? And, yeah I asked (in part) to air my favorite, but upon seriously reflection I'm not sure that I have just one!  :)
Sorry for the late reply.

To be honest, I don't know his music other than the various ones (hits) that I heard on the radio.  :(

What are your top three?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Henk

Many of Prince's albums are favourites of mine.

If I must choose only one song it would be 'Let's Go Crazy', because of the intro and because it's a bold song.

I wondered if my appreciation of his music would endure. Sometimes I doubted it, but it does. Prince to me appears quite timeless and it's still futuristic to me.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

ando

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 30, 2024, 05:43:31 AMTo be honest, I don't know his music other than the various ones (hits) that I heard on the radio.  :(

What are your top three?

PD
Ha. Well, "the hits" are not among my favorites which change with the breeze, in any case.  ;D

Did discover this Ellen Show appearance where he did a Joan Jett & The Blackhearts/Jimi Hendrix cover, Crimson & Clover/Wild Thing, respectively, today. A new favorite cover!