Hi. I found you!

Started by ghmath, November 25, 2023, 04:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghmath

I want to introduce myself. I am a retired mathematician, and a classical music lover since my early childhood. I will be 82 in a few days. My mother language is Spanish. I love good sound, and like to think that I am a sort of audiophile. I want to interchange thoughts about composers, works, performers, audio and related matters, and hope to somehow contribute to the general discussion.

ritter

Welcome to GMG, ghmath. ¡Bienvenido!

I hope you enjoy it here...  :)

Spotted Horses

Welcome!

Who are you favorite composers and performers?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Scion7

Welcome!  Hope I make it to 82!  :o  ;D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

steve ridgway

Lisztianwagner

Nice to meet you, welcome to the forum!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ando

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

Welcome!  In addition to numerous threads on classical music, we have an audiophile thread in the diner.

vandermolen

Welcome from me too. I hope that you enjoy the Forum.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Olivier

ghmath

Dear (new) friends:
Thank you very much for your kind welcome. I hope my presence here be pleasant for everybody.

ghmath

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 25, 2023, 05:38:50 AMWelcome!

Who are you favorite composers and performers?

Favorite composers: Beethoven, Schubert and Mahler. "Roughly" in this order.
Performers. Oh la la! I qualify a soloist, conductor, ensemble, as favorite when I find that, IMHO, he (she, they) plays some works better than others. But, generally, I have not absolute favorites. Example: I love many Horowitz performances, but I don't like his reading of Schubert's D960.
That said, Horowitz, Richter, Berman, Pletnev, Sokolov, Ashkenazy, Annie Fischer, Arrau, ... are favorites among (old) pianists, but there are some young pianists that approach this level: Federico Colli, Anna Fedorova, David Frey, Aleksandra Mikulska, ...
David Oistrakh, Itzhak Perlman, Joseph Silverstein, ... among violinists, Janet Baker, Peter Schreier, Thomas Hampson, among singers (not opera), Wiener, Berliner, Concertgebouw, London Symphony, ... among orchestras, Pierre Monteux, Wilhelm Furtwangler, Bernard Haitink, Simon Rattle, Leonard Bernstein, Klaus Tennstedt, ... among conductors.
Obviously this list is very incomplete, I didn't include some names that don't come to my mind now. Surely we will continue to talk about in the future.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: ghmath on November 26, 2023, 04:16:21 AMFavorite composers: Beethoven, Schubert and Mahler. "Roughly" in this order.
Performers. Oh la la! I qualify a soloist, conductor, ensemble, as favorite when I find that, IMHO, he (she, they) plays some works better than others. But, generally, I have not absolute favorites. Example: I love many Horowitz performances, but I don't like his reading of Schubert's D960.
That said, Horowitz, Richter, Berman, Pletnev, Sokolov, Ashkenazy, Annie Fischer, Arrau, ... are favorites among (old) pianists, but there are some young pianists that approach this level: Federico Colli, Anna Fedorova, David Frey, Aleksandra Mikulska, ...
David Oistrakh, Itzhak Perlman, Joseph Silverstein, ... among violinists, Janet Baker, Peter Schreier, Thomas Hampson, among singers (not opera), Wiener, Berliner, Concertgebouw, London Symphony, ... among orchestras, Pierre Monteux, Wilhelm Furtwangler, Bernard Haitink, Simon Rattle, Leonard Bernstein, Klaus Tennstedt, ... among conductors.
Obviously this list is very incomplete, I didn't include some names that don't come to my mind now. Surely we will continue to talk about in the future.

We have many overlapping interests. When I visit here mostly I look in on the "What are you listening to" thread, which is just what it says it is, and a good way to get acquainted and find out about music you may not be familiar with. https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29166.0.html I find the "composer" sub-board another interesting place to visit, with more substantial discussions.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

brewski

Welcome, ghmath! Have a good time here.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

ghmath

Hi. Did you note that I included a picture in my presentation? Does anyone know whose house it is?

brewski

Quote from: ghmath on November 27, 2023, 06:41:38 AMHi. Did you note that I included a picture in my presentation? Does anyone know whose house it is?

No clue here!

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

ghmath

Quote from: brewski on November 27, 2023, 07:46:59 AMNo clue here!

-Bruce

Dear Bruce,
Nobody seems to be inerested. Only you  :)
It is the house where Mahler was born, in Kalischt (now Kalište), Bohemia. Some three months after Gustav's birth the family meved to Jihlava (then Iglau), where Gustav's father owned a distillery and several taverns.
I visited both places in 2008. The house is remodelled, and in 2008 they received guests. It was not easy to find the place, although I went with a native german friend living not far from there. We have not GPS then. Gustav grew in Jihlava, where there are several museums and hotels with his name.

Guillermo

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ghmath on November 28, 2023, 05:47:38 AMDear Bruce,
Nobody seems to be inerested. Only you  :)
It is the house where Mahler was born, in Kalischt (now Kalište), Bohemia. Some three months after Gustav's birth the family meved to Jihlava (then Iglau), where Gustav's father owned a distillery and several taverns.
I visited both places in 2008. The house is remodelled, and in 2008 they received guests. It was not easy to find the place, although I went with a native german friend living not far from there. We have not GPS then. Gustav grew in Jihlava, where there are several museums and hotels with his name.

Guillermo
No, I tried using Google images search--with no luck--as I was also curious.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter