Cato's Book: A Christmas Present?

Started by Cato, November 26, 2023, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Some years ago, I wrote a series of three short novels designed for ages 12 and up.

They are now available in one volume for 1/3rd the price!

A Diary Found at Lynchburg is a satire on American life focused on a high school bewitched by a murder mystery.

Narrated by an unknown student of eccentric intelligence, the story is at turns intriguing, humorous, sarcastic, dramatic, and of course mysterious, everything one would want in a mystery novel!

You undoubtedly would like to give the gift of Reading to many people: your support would be greatly appreciated.  8)

The trilogy (Why Begins With W, Dial Emma for Murder, Hex High School), when it was three separate books, had only 5-star reviews!

To order:

https://www.amazon.com/Diary-Found-at-Lynchburg/dp/0999521497/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=A+Diary+Found+at+Lynchburg&qid=1701048926&sr=8-1
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

I periodically re-read it. It's engaging, witty and (like Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time) although nominally aimed at young adults, of sufficient specific gravity for the appreciation of no-longer-young adults.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Cato

Quote from: Cato on November 26, 2023, 04:44:31 PMSome years ago, I wrote a series of three short novels designed for ages 12 and up.

A Diary Found at Lynchburg is a satire on American life focused on a high school bewitched by a murder mystery.

Narrated by an unknown student of eccentric intelligence, the story is at turns intriguing, humorous, sarcastic, dramatic, and of course mysterious, everything one would want in a mystery novel!

You undoubtedly would like to give the gift of Reading to many people: your support would be greatly appreciated.  8)

The trilogy (Why Begins With W, Dial Emma for Murder, Hex High School), when it was three separate books, had only 5-star reviews!

QuoteTo order:

https://www.amazon.com/Diary-Found-at-Lynchburg/dp/0999521497/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=A+Diary+Found+at+Lynchburg&qid=1701048926&sr=8-1

Quote from: Karl Henning on November 26, 2023, 05:02:19 PMI periodically re-read it. It's engaging, witty and (like Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time) although nominally aimed at young adults, of sufficient specific gravity for the appreciation of no-longer-young adults.

Let me greatly thank Karl for his support throughout the years!

And many thanks also to anyone who recently bought the book!

Cato

Quote from: Cato on November 26, 2023, 04:44:31 PMSome years ago, I wrote a series of three short novels designed for ages 12 and up.

To order:

Just a gentle bump as Christmas gift-buying season is now less than 2 weeks away!   ;)

Cato

To order:

Quotehttps://www.amazon.com/Diary-Found-at-Lynchburg/dp/0999521497/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=A+Diary+Found+at+Lynchburg&qid=1701048926&sr=8-1

5 - FIVE! - Days before Christmas!  Not too late to order your copy today!  😇

Dave B

Cato

Quote from: Dave B on December 25, 2023, 08:13:29 PMI'll be ordering it.

Many thanks for your support!

Just a reminder here, especially if you received Book-Store gift cards!   :D

Cato

Allow me to suggest a murder-mystery for your summer leisure moments:  😇

A Diary Found at Lynchburg

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on July 03, 2024, 01:01:06 PMAllow me to suggest a murder-mystery for your summer leisure moments:  😇

Better summer reading than the average! 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 03, 2024, 02:39:12 PMBetter summer reading than the average!
In fact, it's time for me to re-read it myself!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

DavidW

It is still sitting on my shelf, time to pull it out!  I get easily distracted.  I have one library ebook checkout I'm reading along with three physical ones queued up.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 03, 2024, 03:40:51 PMIn fact, it's time for me to re-read it myself!
Just re-started. I find new bits in it each time. How does that work?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 03, 2024, 08:42:35 PMI must buy a copy.

Many thanks for your support!

Quote from: DavidW on July 04, 2024, 07:14:43 AMIt is still sitting on my shelf, time to pull it out! I get easily distracted.  I have one library ebook checkout I'm reading along with three physical ones queued up.

Distractions are the dancing devil 😇 of our electronic age!

Thanks in advance for reading!

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 04, 2024, 07:30:54 AMJust re-started. I find new bits in it each time. How does that work?

I think it has to do with our own passage through Life: the book obviously is static, but perhaps our minds change in different ways throughout the years, so that the book is interpreted or viewed differently, or so that things, which we did not notice 5 or 10 years earlier, are now flashing at us because of our more mature, more observant natures.

When I was teaching German, I had my 4th-year students read Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain (Der Zauberberg) (in English: excerpts in German were given also).

I asked them to consider re-reading the book every 10 years or so, with the observation that it was my experience that the book will be understood more deeply as one ages.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 03, 2024, 03:40:51 PMIn fact, it's time for me to re-read it myself!
I'm reading the original incarnation as the three-volume Time Capsule Murders. Just finished Why Begins With W ... and on to Dial Emma for Murder.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Cato

Quote from: DavidW on July 05, 2024, 02:44:28 PMI'm starting it now. :)

Many thanks!

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 05, 2024, 02:34:33 PMI'm reading the original incarnation as the three-volume Time Capsule Murders. Just finished Why Begins With W ... and on to Dial Emma for Murder.

Yes, thank you again!

I should explain that the book was originally published as 3 smaller books of c. 120 pages or so: Why Begins With W, Dial Emma for Murder, and Hex High School.

As one volume now, it is priced at 2/3 of the original cost, depending on how you bought it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on July 03, 2024, 01:01:06 PMAllow me to suggest a murder-mystery for your summer leisure moments:  😇

It just occurs to me that my PT has a daughter of an age which is the book's prime demographic. A gift copy is in order.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA