Nice to meet you

Started by Deepsea, December 02, 2023, 08:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepsea

I didn't know about GMG, musimath told me. Forums are a declining social media but I find them extremely useful, resourceful and interesting. I'm happy to be allowed in. Cheers!

steve ridgway

Welcome to the forum :D . What composers do you like most?

DavidW

Deepsea

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 02, 2023, 08:45:34 AMWelcome to the forum :D . What composers do you like most?
Thank you!! All the ones I really like? :D Just kidding, but my taste is pretty eclectic. For "classical" I like Beethoven, Bach, Mendelssohn, Sibelius, Brahms, Strauss, Strawinsky, Chopin, Schubert, Wagner, Mahler... and not in that particular order. They are among the ones that I could spend the whole day listening only to works by any of them. But days are short.

For jazz I like Ellington and Monk among many others. For other genres I respect a lot Lennon and McCartney, Stevie Wonder or Joao Gilberto, they made great music too.
Were I forced to choose my predilect composer so I couldn't listen to anything else for the rest of my life (and I'm a bit short of 60), he should be Ludwig van Beethoven. But it's a close match to J.S. Bach.

steve ridgway

There is plenty of love for those composers here. I am still exploring but enjoy some of Strawinsky's works along with other 20th Century music.

Wanderer

Papy Oli

Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Deepsea on December 02, 2023, 01:46:25 PMThank you!! All the ones I really like? :D Just kidding, but my taste is pretty eclectic. For "classical" I like Beethoven, Bach, Mendelssohn, Sibelius, Brahms, Strauss, Strawinsky, Chopin, Schubert, Wagner, Mahler... and not in that particular order. They are among the ones that I could spend the whole day listening only to works by any of them. But days are short.

For jazz I like Ellington and Monk among many others. For other genres I respect a lot Lennon and McCartney, Stevie Wonder or Joao Gilberto, they made great music too.
Were I forced to choose my predilect composer so I couldn't listen to anything else for the rest of my life (and I'm a bit short of 60), he should be Ludwig van Beethoven. But it's a close match to J.S. Bach.

Nice, welcome!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

brewski

Another welcome, Deepsea, and hope you enjoy your time here!

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)