All symphonies of Mozart

Started by W.A. Mozart, January 02, 2024, 07:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.A. Mozart

I will post here all symphonies of Mozart.

Mozart composed this piece in 1764, when he was 8 years old.

Orchestra: Academy of St Martin in the Fields
Conductor: Sir Neville Marriner

Mozart - K. 16 - Symphony No. 1 in E-flat major (1764):
00:00 I. Molto allegro, 4/4
06:09 II. Andante, 2/4 (in C minor)
09:00 III. Presto, 3/8

Index:

Symphony No. 4 (1765)

Symphony No. 5 (1765)

Symphony In F major (1765)

Symphony No. 43 (1766-1769?)

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on January 02, 2024, 04:19:31 PMWhy not?

Because GMG is neither your personal blog (on which you would indeed be entitled to post whatever you want just because why not) nor a tool for generating traffic to your YT channel. By posting tons of videos (which pretty much nobody's interested în  anyway) you waste a portion of this site's bandwidth which could be put to much more interesting and valuable use.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Florestan on January 03, 2024, 03:56:03 AMBecause GMG is neither your personal blog (on which you would indeed be entitled to post whatever you want just because why not) nor a tool for generating traffic to your YT channel. By posting tons of videos (which pretty much nobody's interested în  anyway) you waste a portion of this site's bandwidth which could be put to much more interesting and valuable use.

The purpose of this section is to post youtube videos...

W.A. Mozart

Mozart composed this piece in 1765, when he was 9 years old.

Mozart - K. 19 - Symphony No. 4 in D major (1765):
00:00 I. Allegro, D major,  (Common time)
04:43 II. Andante, G major, 2/4
08:06 III. Presto, D major, 3/8

W.A. Mozart

Mozart composed this piece in 1765, when he was 9 years old.

Orchestra: Wiener Philharmoniker
Conductor: James Levine

Mozart - K. 22 - Symphony No. 5 in B-flat major (1765):
00:00 I. Allegro, 4/4
02:39 II. Andante,  2/4
05:43 III. Allegro molto, 3/8

W.A. Mozart

This symphony was probably written by Mozart between 1766 and 1769, when Mozart was 10-13 years old.

Conductor:  Sir Neville Marriner

Mozart - K. 76 - Symphony 43 in F major (1766-1769?):
00:00 I. Allegro maestoso, 4/4
03:35 II. Andante, 3/4
07:58 III. Menuetto, 3/4
11:27 IV. Allegro, 2/4

W.A. Mozart

Mozart probably composed this piece in 1765, when he was 9 years old.

Mozart - K. 19a - Symphony in F major (1765):
00:00 I. Allegro assai, 4/4
03:50 II. Andante, 2/4
07:35 III. Presto, 3/8

W.A. Mozart

Mozart composed this symphony in 1767, when he was 11 years old.

Mozart - KV 43 - Symphony No. 6 in F major (1767):
00:00 I. Allegro, 4/4
04:21 II. Andante, 2/4
08:01 III. Menuetto & Trio, 3/4
10:18 IV. Allegro, 6/8

W.A. Mozart

Mozart composed this piece in Vienna in January 1768, when he was 12 years old.
According to analyst Neal Zaslaw, the first occasion on which the symphony could have been heard was a concert given by Prince von Galitzin, the Russian ambassador, at his Vienna residence in late March, 1768.
The symphony was reworked to become the overture to Mozart's opera, "La finta semplice", K. 51, composed and performed later that year.

Mozart - K. 45 - Symphony No. 7 in D major (1768):
00:00 I. Molto allegro, 4/4
02:41 II. Andante, 2/4
05:01 III. Menuetto and Trio, 3/4
09:05 IV. Molto allegro, 2/4

W.A. Mozart

The symphony No. 55 was probably written by Mozart in 1767-68 in Salzburg, when he was 11-12 years old.
This work was only known to Ludwig Ritter von Köchel as an incipit in the catalogue of Breitkopf & Härtel, and thus it was placed in the Anhang as K. Anh. 214. Alfred Einstein then discovered a set of parts in the Berlin State Library with the title "Synfonia Ex Bb...Del Sigr. cavaliere Amadeo Wolfgango Mozart Maestro di concerto di S.A. á Salisburgo". Wolfgang became the Concertmaster to the Archbishop of Salzburg in November 1769, and was given the title "cavaliere" in July 1770, but as this is a later copy, this information cannot be used for dating purposes. Einstein believed the symphony to date from early 1768 on stylistic grounds; Neal Zaslaw and Gerhard Allroggen believe even earlier dates to also be possible, and Zaslaw dated the symphony cautiously to Salzburg in 1767. Einstein also believed that the symphonies in the catalogue of Breitkopf & Härtel were sent by Leopold Mozart to be published.

Mozart - K. Anh. 214/45b - Symphony No. 55 in B♭ major (1767-68?):
00:00 I. Allegro, 3/4
02:12 II. Andante, 2/4
05:47 III. Menuetto, 3/4
08:38 IV. Allegro, 2/4

W.A. Mozart

The Symphony in G major "Old Lambach", K. Anh. 221/45a, was probably written by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart during 1766 in The Hague and revised in 1767, when Mozart was 10-11 years old. Both versions – the original and the revision – have survived.

The Mozart family began their journey between Salzburg and Vienna in January 1769, stopping over at the Lambach Abbey in Upper Austria, among other places. As was customary for Bavarian and Austrian monasteries, the Lambach Abbey offered rooms and meals for travellers and maintained a small chapel for both the liturgy and entertainment. This stopover is not mentioned in the correspondence of the Mozart family and is only known through the two manuscripts in the monastery.

These two manuscripts were found at the beginning of the 20th century as copies (not autographs) in the archives of the Lambach Abbey and were probably gifts from the Mozart family as thanks for the hospitality given to them. One (the "Old Lambach") had the title "Del Sigre: Wolfgango Mozart. Dono Authoris 4.ta Jan. 1769" while the other (the "New Lambach", K. deest, Eisen G 16) was attributed to "Leopoldo" with the same date. Alfred Einstein assumed that the "Old Lambach" symphony (the one attributed to Wolfgang) was composed by 1767-68 during the stay in Vienna (which fit with the date on the manuscript in Lambach) and entered it into the main Köchel catalogue as K. 45a. This analysis was repeated in later editions of the Köchel catalogue. (The previous editions numbered the work as K. Anh. 221 as the work was then unknown apart from an incipit in the catalogue of Breitkopf & Härtel).

Mozart - K. Anh. 221/45a - Symphony in G major "Old Lambach" (1766-67):
00:00 I. Allegro maestoso, 4/4
02:38 II. Andante, 2/4
06:37 III. Presto, 3/8

W.A. Mozart

Mozart composed this symphony in 1768, when he was 12 years old.

Mozart - K. 48 - Symphony No. 8 in D major (1768):
00:00 I. Allegro, 3/4
04:25 II. Andante (in G major), 2/4
07:48 III. Menuetto and Trio, Allegro, 3/4
11:58 IV. Allegrissimo, 12/8

DavidW

I've removed the ad hominem attack and subsequent replies.

btw I like Levine's Mozart, I didn't know that he recorded some of the early symphonies.

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: DavidW on April 10, 2024, 08:57:25 AMI've removed the ad hominem attack and subsequent replies.

Are you saying that between 08:03:28 AM and 08:57:25 AM something interesting happened and that I missed it, an other time?
I don't see deletions of old posts, but I might be wrong.

Quotebtw I like Levine's Mozart, I didn't know that he recorded some of the early symphonies.

It looks like Levine has recorded the entire cycle.

DavidW

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 11, 2024, 02:06:47 AMAre you saying that between 08:03:28 AM and 08:57:25 AM something interesting happened and that I missed it,

Yup.

DavidW

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 11, 2024, 02:06:47 AMIt looks like Levine has recorded the entire cycle.

Nice!  I should do some listening soon.

Jo498

Before the anniversary 1991 came in sight (aka the vinyl age) there were AFAIK 3 complete recordings of Mozart's symphonies: Leinsdorf (Westminster, at least partly mono, from the late 1950s, not well known/distributed and only once on CD in a DG box in the 2000s), Böhm/DG (1960s, by far the best known) and the combination of Marriner/Academy of... for the early ones and Krips/Concertgebouw for n>20 (or around that) on Philips.

Then Hogwood began the first on original instruments for L'oiseau Lyre (well before 91) and up to that anniversary we also got Pinnock/Archiv, Levine/DG, Tate/EMI, Graf/Capriccio (Delta music), Mackerras/Telarc. Also Marriner recorded the middle/late ones to complete a cycle AFAIK. And there was another one on some cheap Italian label (not sure if already before '91).
So around the anniversary one could choose from around 8!
Since then we got, I believe, at least 4 more, namely Jaap ter Linden on Brilliant, Fischer/Danish/Dacapo, Wordsworth + Ward/Naxos, Harnoncourt (25 up on Teldec, up to 25 on dhm).

But there is probably another one I forgot or don't know about. So there is over a dozen of complete Mozart symphonies around!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on April 11, 2024, 04:57:55 AMBut there is probably another one I forgot or don't know about.