My name is Ian…

Started by Ian, January 16, 2024, 01:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

... and I am a Holstoholic.

Although I have been listening to "classical" music since my teens I have previously mainly been into various and wildly differing types of music. Prog rock (Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Steve Hillage, Eno , etc.) and German electronic music (Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream), cold/new wave, the shoegazing likes of Mazzy Star and Lush, grungers Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains... and many many more.

I have always liked Italian Baroque and my mother first introduced me to the Planets when I was a teenager. Of course I knew the mega hits of Dukas, Ravel, Saint-Saëns and Gershwin but never really got in to classical except for contemporary composers Philip Glass and Wim Mertens.

A couple of years ago I was watching TV with my girlfriend and some music was playing and she asked if I knew what it was. I did. It was Jupiter. At that time I had the Karajan/Berlin recording on CD, which I put on and thought to myself... the version we just heard on TV was way better than this. And that's how it all started. I began my search for the perfect Planets (which I have not yet found despite now owning 20-ish CDs). Along the way I have discovered a passion for other Holst music and other composers: RVW, Bax, Ravel, Respighi, Magnard, Saint-Saëns, Debussy, Jongen, Delius, Martinů, Ives, etc. and more recently Holmboe and Lutosławski.

With a few exceptions I'm not very keen on music form the periods between baroque and post romantic. And I'm really not a fan of opera or of many pieces which include words. Despite being a big fan of Vaughan Williams I have never listened to more than a few seconds of his first symphony. I just can't stand it. However his 7th is fine because there are no words... same as with the fabulously aquatic Neptune. I know... I'm weird.

I still buy and listen to CDs. I don't use streaming services for two reasons. 1/ I don't have the equipment and 2/ I feel like streaming is like renting... you pay and pay but in the end you still don't own anything and it can all be taken away from you.

So that's the musical me. Now being a member of this forum I'm sure my horizons will expand and can't wait to learn from the knowledgeable people here.

Mapman

Welcome!

A member here (who has not been active recently) shares your enthusiasm for Holst's Planets, and created a website where he attempted to rank every recording. https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/

I used to, like you, not like music with words. However starting a few years ago I have begun to appreciate it.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Lisztianwagner

Welcome to the forum, nice to meet you! :)

That's great you love Holst's music, he's one of my favourite composers too.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

DavidW

Welcome Ian!  Seems like you'll fit right in!

Pohjolas Daughter

Welcome Ian!  Hope that you enjoy it here.  :)   And I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ian on January 16, 2024, 01:28:36 PM... and I am a Holstoholic.

Although I have been listening to "classical" music since my teens I have previously mainly been into various and wildly differing types of music. Prog rock (Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Steve Hillage, Eno , etc.) and German electronic music (Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream), cold/new wave, the shoegazing likes of Mazzy Star and Lush, grungers Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains... and many many more.

I have always liked Italian Baroque and my mother first introduced me to the Planets when I was a teenager. Of course I knew the mega hits of Dukas, Ravel, Saint-Saëns and Gershwin but never really got in to classical except for contemporary composers Philip Glass and Wim Mertens.

A couple of years ago I was watching TV with my girlfriend and some music was playing and she asked if I knew what it was. I did. It was Jupiter. At that time I had the Karajan/Berlin recording on CD, which I put on and thought to myself... the version we just heard on TV was way better than this. And that's how it all started. I began my search for the perfect Planets (which I have not yet found despite now owning 20-ish CDs). Along the way I have discovered a passion for other Holst music and other composers: RVW, Bax, Ravel, Respighi, Magnard, Saint-Saëns, Debussy, Jongen, Delius, Martinů, Ives, etc. and more recently Holmboe and Lutosławski.

With a few exceptions I'm not very keen on music form the periods between baroque and post romantic. And I'm really not a fan of opera or of many pieces which include words. Despite being a big fan of Vaughan Williams I have never listened to more than a few seconds of his first symphony. I just can't stand it. However his 7th is fine because there are no words... same as with the fabulously aquatic Neptune. I know... I'm weird.

I still buy and listen to CDs. I don't use streaming services for two reasons. 1/ I don't have the equipment and 2/ I feel like streaming is like renting... you pay and pay but in the end you still don't own anything and it can all be taken away from you.

So that's the musical me. Now being a member of this forum I'm sure my horizons will expand and can't wait to learn from the knowledgeable people here.

Welcome! I note that you do not say "a recovering Holstoholic."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

brewski

Hello, Ian, and welcome. Thank you for taking the time to write that lovely introduction, covering so much territory. I suspect you'll have a great time here. ("Holstoholic" has to be one of the best words of the week.)

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

vandermolen

Welcome - we have similar musical tastes.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: Ian on January 16, 2024, 01:28:36 PMRVW, Bax, ... and more recently Holmboe and Lutosławski.

Yeah. You are playing my tune. With these, at least :)

Looking forward to hearing more from you and engaging with your listening! Welcome...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Ian

Quote from: Karl Henning on January 16, 2024, 04:12:58 PMWelcome! I note that you do not say "a recovering Holstoholic."
Haha... indeed not! I'm not far off a full suite of Planets per day if I'm honest. Add to that the superb "Perfect Fool", "Beni Mora", and so many others!
In fact I feel the need to attend a HA meeting right now  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Ian on January 17, 2024, 03:42:56 AMHaha... indeed not! I'm not far off a full suite of Planets per day if I'm honest. Add to that the superb "Perfect Fool", "Beni Mora", and so many others!
In fact I feel the need to attend a HA meeting right now  8)
There's an enchanting CD on Chandos of Holst's ballet music with Hickox.  Do you know this one?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

springrite

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2024, 04:11:22 AMThere's an enchanting CD on Chandos of Holst's ballet music with Hickox.  Do you know this one?

PD
If he doesn't, I'd strip him of the Holstoholic title!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on January 16, 2024, 04:12:58 PMWelcome! I note that you do not say "a recovering Holstoholic."

There is no recovering once you take a Holst-ic appreciation beyond The Planets. :-X

Papy Oli

Welcome to the Forum, Gustav...err... Ian!  8)
Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on January 17, 2024, 05:04:54 AMThere is no recovering once you take a Holst-ic appreciation beyond The Planets. :-X

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2024, 04:11:22 AMThere's an enchanting CD on Chandos of Holst's ballet music with Hickox.  Do you know this one?

PD
Thanks for the recommendation. I know of it... but I also wrote in my first post that with very few exceptions I really don't like opera or classical music with words. Vocalisations are fine generally as in Neptune or Sinfonia Antartica.

Brian

Quote from: Ian on January 17, 2024, 05:44:54 AMThanks for the recommendation. I know of it... but I also wrote in my first post that with very few exceptions I really don't like opera or classical music with words. Vocalisations are fine generally as in Neptune or Sinfonia Antartica.
By the way, does this include words in a language you don't understand? I almost never enjoy listening to music with English words (even pop), but if someone is singing in French or Italian, suddenly I can look past the meaning and just listen to it as abstract music...

Ian

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2024, 05:59:39 AMBy the way, does this include words in a language you don't understand? I almost never enjoy listening to music with English words (even pop), but if someone is singing in French or Italian, suddenly I can look past the meaning and just listen to it as abstract music...
It's any language. It's not even because they use actual words but to me, more often than not, it sounds more like yelling than singing and gets in the way of the music. Whereas a nice quiet choir like in Neptune enhances the mystical aquatic atmosphere of the piece. Or in Sinfonia Antartica the vocalisations add to the mystery and fear.

When I hear "Behold the sea" I just cringe.

I hope this is making some sense.

steve ridgway

I know what those notes are!