Multi-movement late-romantic orchestral piece played on CBC Music (not Suk?)

Started by kingfaicl, February 03, 2024, 12:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingfaicl

I heard a piece played on CBC Music, somewhere past the opening movement in a multi-movement orchestral piece that features a dogged ostinato-like figure played on the strings (see attached).

The orchestration and idiom sounds like late-romantic. I thought maybe Suk, but then I checked and couldn't find it among my Suk recordings. I then thought could it be Sibelius? But then the ostinato seems not quite as persistent or Sibelian. Any ideas?

Cato

Do you recall when you heard it on CBC?

They would have a play list, if you remember at least the day, or can narrow it down to a few days, and so you could consult the play list.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

DaveF

Tubin, perhaps?  Just a guess; I don't have any particular piece in mind.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

kingfaicl

Thanks, Cato, for the excellent advice!  I listened to the radio only when driving, and couldn't recall which day it was, but managed to find the piece after looking through the CBC Music programme for the past week.  It's Ernest Chausson's Symphony in B flat, Op.20, 3rd movement.  That motif was stuck in my head and I just got to listen to the whole piece again.  And because of this find, I'm gonna listen to more Chausson.  Thanks to CBC too!

Cato

Quote from: kingfaicl on February 06, 2024, 08:17:15 PMThanks, Cato, for the excellent advice!  I listened to the radio only when driving, and couldn't recall which day it was, but managed to find the piece after looking through the CBC Music programme for the past week.  It's Ernest Chausson's Symphony in B flat, Op.20, 3rd movement.  That motif was stuck in my head and I just got to listen to the whole piece again.  And because of this find, I'm gonna listen to more Chausson.  Thanks to CBC too!

That work is a also an all-around "fave" of mine!  I first heard it many moons ago on an RCA vinyl record with Charles Munch conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

It was paired with Cesar Franck's Le Chasseur Maudit (The Wild Huntsman), which I will also recommend to you, if you do not know the piece!

Best Wishes!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kingfaicl

Quote from: Cato on February 07, 2024, 10:28:13 AMThat work is a also an all-around "fave" of mine!  I first heard it many moons ago on an RCA vinyl record with Charles Munch conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

It was paired with Cesar Franck's Le Chasseur Maudit (The Wild Huntsman), which I will also recommend to you, if you do not know the piece!

Best Wishes!

Thanks for the recommendation!  I was first introduced to Franck's symphony and Le Chasseur Maudit by Muti's recording with the Philadelphia Orchestra, and fell in love with both immediately.  There are moments in Chausson's symphony that remind one of Franck's, not least the forte ending of the 2nd movement, which ends with the exact same chord (D major), voiced and orchestrated very similarly, as the end of Franck's 1st movement.  Indeed Chausson's symphony is the only one I can think of that ends its slow movement loudly.  And as if to balance that, the finale ends quietly, like a valediction.

kingfaicl

Quote from: kingfaicl on February 09, 2024, 01:07:06 PMThanks for the recommendation!  I was first introduced to Franck's symphony and Le Chasseur Maudit by Muti's recording with the Philadelphia Orchestra, and fell in love with both immediately.  There are moments in Chausson's symphony that remind one of Franck's, not least the forte ending of the 2nd movement, which ends with the exact same chord (D major), voiced and orchestrated very similarly, as the end of Franck's 1st movement.  Indeed Chausson's symphony is the only one I can think of that ends its slow movement loudly.  And as if to balance that, the finale ends quietly, like a valediction.

Let me try to illustrate with some video links.

Chausson Symphony 2nd mvt ending:

Franck Symphony 1st mvt ending: