Chopin, piano concertos

Started by W.A. Mozart, March 07, 2024, 08:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.A. Mozart

Chopin composed this piece in 1830, when he was 20 years old.

Piano: Krystian Zimmermann
Los Angeles Philarmonic Orchestra conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini

Chopin - Op. 11 - Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor (1830):
1. Allegro Maestoso 0:00
2. Romance. Larghetto 20:06
3. Rondo. Vivace 30:46

The Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21, is a piano concerto composed by Frédéric Chopin in fall 1829. Chopin composed the piece before he had finished his formal education, at around 20 years of age. It was first performed on 17 March 1830, in Warsaw, Poland, with the composer as soloist. It was the second of his piano concertos to be published (after the Piano Concerto No. 1), and so was designated as "No. 2", even though it was written first.

Performers:
- Piano: Arthur Rubinstein
- Orchestra: London Symphony Orchestra
- Conductor: André Previn

Chopin - Op. 21 - Piano Concerto No 2 in F minor (1829):
I. Maestoso [0:01]
II. Larghetto [14:30]
III. Allegro vivace [23:48]

Karl Henning

Big fan of Chopin, but his pf cti are his least essential efforts, IMO.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 07, 2024, 08:26:56 AMBig fan of Chopin, but his pf cti are his least essential efforts, IMO.
Ah, I have to say that I'm a big fan of his second piano concerto (particularly fond of the recording with Barbirolli and Cortot).  :)  I do love a number of his other works too.

Which of his works are your favorites Karl?

@W.A. Mozart Do you have a favorite recording of his first piano concerto?  I haven't listened to it in a while and should revisit it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 07, 2024, 09:39:23 AMWhich of his works are your favorites Karl?
PD, with Chopin, there's an element of whichever piece I heard last is my favorite, that said though ... I can always run to the ballades, scherzi, mazurkas and the Op. 28 Préludes.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 07, 2024, 09:39:23 AM@W.A. Mozart Do you have a favorite recording of his first piano concerto?  I haven't listened to it in a while and should revisit it.

I don't have a favourite, to be honest. I've always listened to the version you find here above (Zimmermann/Los Angeles Philarmonic Orchestra) and I'm happy with it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on March 12, 2024, 09:32:59 AMI don't have a favourite, to be honest. I've always listened to the version you find here above (Zimmermann/Los Angeles Philarmonic Orchestra) and I'm happy with it.
I'll give it a listen to. :) I do really like his Debussy.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on March 12, 2024, 09:32:59 AMI don't have a favourite, to be honest. I've always listened to the version you find here above (Zimmermann/Los Angeles Philarmonic Orchestra) and I'm happy with it.
Boy, he was a young pup when he recorded it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter