Klaus Mäkelä chosen for Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director

Started by brewski, April 02, 2024, 07:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

Wow, so Klaus Mäkelä, the music director of the Concertgebouw, has been chosen as the next music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. From what I've seen, he's a great talent. Chicago + Amsterdam = quite the portfolio, and I forgot he's still involved with Oslo and the Orchestre de Paris! I hope he doesn't burn out.

Info here.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Brian

Wow. He's 28 years old and running two of...shall we say...the top dozen orchestras in the world?

I'd love to hear an explanation, from orchestra musicians, of what kind of rehearsal skills, personal touch, and maturity are required to rocket to fame in this way when so many other conductors have to "earn their keep" in minor regional circuits for decades. This is not to denigrate him in any way, of course. It's genuine curiosity about what sets him apart!

brewski

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2024, 07:31:53 AMWow. He's 28 years old and running two of...shall we say...the top dozen orchestras in the world?

I'd love to hear an explanation, from orchestra musicians, of what kind of rehearsal skills, personal touch, and maturity are required to rocket to fame in this way when so many other conductors have to "earn their keep" in minor regional circuits for decades. This is not to denigrate him in any way, of course. It's genuine curiosity about what sets him apart!

Yes, exactly. And I edited my original post: he's also head of the Oslo Philharmonic and the Orchestre de Paris!

I mean, good on him, but...but...four orchestras? I guess we will find out.

-Bruce

brewski

Ah, just found out from the NY Times: he'll leave Oslo and Paris when those contracts expire, to focus on Amsterdam and Chicago.

-Bruce

Brian

Side note, which of those four cities would you live in? Talk about spoiled for choice!  ;D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I was gonna post this (since I'm on a CSO mailing list), but you beat me to it.

I've heard of Mäkelä, but never heard him conduct. Looking forward to discovering more. That he is so young is both exciting and potentially worrying (as Bruce says, let's hope he doesn't burn out, or bite off more than he can chew).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2024, 07:31:53 AMWow. He's 28 years old and running two of...shall we say...the top dozen orchestras in the world?
I have the same complaint I had when the now rightly and utterly disgraced Jas Levine helmed both the Met Orchestra and the BSO: what about fostering new talent, rather than letting those who are already established breathe up all the damned oxygen? It's them what already have gets it all forever, eh?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AnotherSpin

Quote from: brewski on April 02, 2024, 07:29:02 AMWow, so Klaus Mäkelä, the music director of the Concertgebouw, has been chosen as the next music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. From what I've seen, he's a great talent. Chicago + Amsterdam = quite the portfolio, and I forgot he's still involved with Oslo and the Orchestre de Paris! I hope he doesn't burn out.

Info here.

-Bruce

I read somewhere that one way or another he would have to move across the ocean, closer to Yuja.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on April 02, 2024, 08:39:47 AMHurwitz is going to have a field day with this!

What is Hurwitz's view of Mäkelä? I searched the Classics Today website, but found nothing.

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 02, 2024, 08:46:01 AMI have the same complaint I had when the now rightly and utterly disgraced Jas Levine helmed both the Met Orchestra and the BSO: what about fostering new talent, rather than letting those who are already established breathe up all the damned oxygen? It's them what already have gets it all forever, eh?

Isn't he young enough to count as new? He's certainly not "safe" in the sense that Muti, Haitink and Barenboim were (just to mention the last 3 CSO heads).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Brian

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on April 02, 2024, 09:33:58 AMWhat is Hurwitz's view of Mäkelä? I searched the Classics Today website, but found nothing.
He had some histrionic comments about the Sibelius cycle on video. My own feeling about the Sibelius was much less extreme, but still that Mäkelä spent so much time and effort on the string section phrasing and tone that he shortchanged everyone else in terms of both detail and balance.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on April 02, 2024, 09:33:58 AMIsn't he young enough to count as new? He's certainly not "safe" in the sense that Muti, Haitink and Barenboim were (just to mention the last 3 CSO heads).
While I take your point (nor do I contest his musical fitness) But, "there's no other talent available, we have to appoint someone who already has another major appointment" serves to keep other conductors who though talented, lack opportunity, invisible. Granted, I speak as an invisible composer, so factor that in.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Quote from: brewski on April 02, 2024, 07:29:02 AMWow, so Klaus Mäkelä, the music director of the Concertgebouw, has been chosen as the next music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. From what I've seen, he's a great talent. Chicago + Amsterdam = quite the portfolio, and I forgot he's still involved with Oslo and the Orchestre de Paris! I hope he doesn't burn out.

Info here.

-Bruce

Claudia Cassidy is spinning in her grave.

Roasted Swan

I've not heard a single one of his discs let alone seen a concert but he must be not just a significant musical talent but good with people/musicians too.  Orchestras do not have to tolerate old-school martinets any more.  I'm sure a nice juicy Decca recording contract in an era when such things are all but extinct helps as well.

My only observation would be that a Music Director has to be so much more than "just" a fine musician/conductor.  Programming, administering large organisations, auditioning/appointing principles and other key responsibilitiesare all things which benefit from experience rather than simply talent.  Being at the head of one of the great orchestras would be demanding at such a young age - to my mind heading up two cannot benefit both.  But clearly it is the modern way with Nelsons in Boston and Leipzig.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2024, 09:36:23 AMHe had some histrionic comments about the Sibelius cycle on video. My own feeling about the Sibelius was much less extreme, but still that Mäkelä spent so much time and effort on the string section phrasing and tone that he shortchanged everyone else in terms of both detail and balance.

So he is the new Karajan then? :P

brewski

FWIW, you can hear his Carnegie Hall debut here on WQXR with the Orchestre de Paris, from just a few weeks ago. The program is all-Stravinsky, with The Firebird and The Rite of Spring. I have not yet listened, but will soon.

I have watched his Shostakovich 7 with Frankfurt, available here on YouTube, and liked it a lot.

-Bruce

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Bernstein first subbed for Bruno Walter in 1943, age 25. Toscanini conducted his first Aida at 18. Sacré bleu, these kids should not have been allowed near a podium.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

MishaK

A couple of things:

I heard Mäkelä live for the first time with the RCO on tour in Cologne this last December. Same program as the Kerstmatinee that can still be watched on streaming video over on the Avrotros website. That was easily one of the best concerts I have ever heard, with one of the most gripping, organically flowing Eroicas ever. That alone convinced me in terms of his talents. And all the interviews I have seen suggest that he is a thoughtful, serious and humble musician with exceptional people skills.

Re: being overcommitted, his contracts in Oslo and Paris will run out before he starts in Amsterdam and Chicago. A music directorship is a 12-14 week job. Many conductors have held two music directorships simultaneously, including Mäkelä's immediate RCO predecessor and two of his CSO predecessors. So I don't really see this being a problem. It seems he has said in some interview that he will curtail his guest conducting to just Berlin and maybe one other orchestra. So that seems like a very manageable load.

With all the complaining about classical music "dying" and audiences shrinking, the critics seem to forget that the winning recipe in the past very much included personality hype, a bit of showmanship, the social allure of being seen at concerts with top performers, and just the plain entertainment effect. Sober serious, ascetic musicianship alone simply doesn't pay the bills. An orchestra of the caliber of the CSO, besides needing someone with top musical skills, also needs someone with that star power to both fill seats and draw donations and sell out international tours. There are very very few conductors who fit that bill AND are of an age that the investment will still bear fruit two decades from now. From all these considerations this is a shrewd choice for the CSO (and once again shows that they can attract the sort of talent that e.g. NY or LA or SF still can't).

Lastly, re: the opinions of musicians, I have uniformly heard from musicians I know that they have been floored by his musicianship. Here is an example from a CSO violist: https://slippedisc.com/2022/04/chicago-lands-a-dream-conductor/
I would think the CSO musicians are quite happy with this result.