Things I saw today

Started by Spotted Horses, April 06, 2024, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

I saw a Tesla Pickup Truck on the road for the first time. It looks as weird in person as it does in the photos in the media.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Jo498

a hornet, apparently they are active much earlier than normal wasps. I don't know where they live, hopefully no nest nearby. They are protected (even normal wasps are here), so one cannot do anything against them.
Strangely, I can hardly remember seeing any hornets when I was a kid 40 years ago whereas most other critters seem to have been more plentiful in the 1980s.
Of course, they are usually harmless, less aggressive than wasps but being about twice the size of a normal wasp they are among the larger insects in temperate Western/central Europe and quite impressive.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

pjme

If it is an Asiatic hornet (vespa velutina), then it is... not welcome! It is a quite invasive exotic species, dangerous  to bees. It has been noticed since a couple of years in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. 

https://www.velutina.de/

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on April 08, 2024, 02:42:23 AMa hornet, apparently they are active much earlier than normal wasps. I don't know where they live, hopefully no nest nearby. They are protected (even normal wasps are here), so one cannot do anything against them.

Suppose I live in Germany and kill an annoying, even threatening wasp. Will I go to jail?  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SimonNZ

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 08, 2024, 06:10:59 AMhttps://www.euronews.com/2018/07/11/can-you-really-be-fined-50-000-for-killing-a-wasp-in-germany-

QuoteWhile the law exists on paper, infringements are rarely reported to authorities, and Ackenheil told Euronews that a fine for killing a single wasp "doesn't actually happen".

Thanks. Exactly as I thought.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

It was a European hornet, bright yellow, I am not sure I have ever seen one of the darker Asian ones. And would kill single wasps without a second thought about fines...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

steve ridgway

LOL I will save wasps from drowning in the hope that some living thing will survive - any thing :'(.

Jo498

I wouldn't go out of my way to kill a normal wasp but if I cannot easily shove it out of a window or so, I'll smash it. It's been a while I got stung but I hated them as a kid because I got stung almost every summer.
Hornets are special, though and regardless of the laws protecting them, I would try to avoid killing them.
- Blaise Pascal

DavidW

I saw a partial solar eclipse today.  Here is the view through the old solar scope.

Cato

Quote from: DavidW on April 08, 2024, 11:56:29 AMI saw a partial solar eclipse today.  Here is the view through the old solar scope.

Here in western Ohio we had a total eclipse for almost 4 minutes!

Despite predictions, local birds did not head for their nests or act strangely in any way: squirrels, however, were not seen, even when the sun was at 100%

Of interest was that even with 95% of the light blocked, with 5 minutes to go to totality, things were still fairly bright!

Then, when totality hit, and the sun was only a white glow around the moon, things faraway on all the horizons were lit up in a weird way, but, where our house lies, things were somewhat dark.  And you could look at the eclipse with the naked eye for almost 4 minutes: quite a sight!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 08, 2024, 11:56:29 AMI saw a partial solar eclipse today.  Here is the view through the old solar scope.
Cool that you own a solar scope (sounds like you might have a newer one too?).  8)

I was fortunate that at virtually the last minute, I was able to get a hold of some special glasses.  Loved watching it though it was a tad fuzzy as I had to take off my glasses to hold the solar ones up to my eyes.  Still, it was worth it.  Earlier in the day, I also watched some chunks of it on the Weather Channel on t.v. (much better pictures).  Cool also to see the reactions of those who were there...some of them begging the galaxy/powers-that-be for even a short glimpse of the total eclipse (clouds "interrupted" in some areas).

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on April 08, 2024, 12:50:13 PMHere in western Ohio we had a total eclipse for almost 4 minutes!

Despite predictions, local birds did not head for their nests or act strangely in any way: squirrels, however, were not seen, even when the sun was at 100%

Of interest was that even with 95% of the light blocked, with 5 minutes to go to totality, things were still fairly bright!

Then, when totality hit, and the sun was only a white glow around the moon, things faraway on all the horizons were lit up in a weird way, but, where our house lies, things were somewhat dark.  And you could look at the eclipse with the naked eye for almost 4 minutes: quite a sight!
Excellent!  I did notice the light darkening too (and I think the temp dropped a tiny bit too).

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 08, 2024, 12:57:29 PMCool that you own a solar scope (sounds like you might have a newer one too?).  8)

Well I don't personally, the school does!  I ordered it for the last eclipse and then after that I used it teaching Astronomy every year.  We can identify solar flares, prominences, and sunspots.

We also have a solar filter for our eight inch Schmidt-Cassegrain and once in Astronomy class we observed Mercury transiting across the Sun. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 08, 2024, 01:06:10 PMWell I don't personally, the school does!  I ordered it for the last eclipse and then after that I used it teaching Astronomy every year.  We can identify solar flares, prominences, and sunspots.

We also have a solar filter for our eight inch Schmidt-Cassegrain and once in Astronomy class we observed Mercury transiting across the Sun. :)
Wow!  So were you with a bunch of students today...letting them have turns looking through it and talking about what you all were seeing?

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 08, 2024, 01:10:32 PMWow!  So were you with a bunch of students today...letting them have turns looking through it and talking about what you all were seeing?

Yup. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 08, 2024, 12:57:29 PMCool that you own a solar scope (sounds like you might have a newer one too?).  8)

I was fortunate that at virtually the last minute, I was able to get a hold of some special glasses.  Loved watching it though it was a tad fuzzy as I had to take off my glasses to hold the solar ones up to my eyes.  Still, it was worth it.  Earlier in the day, I also watched some chunks of it on the Weather Channel on t.v. (much better pictures).  Cool also to see the reactions of those who were there...some of them begging the galaxy/powers-that-be for even a short glimpse of the total eclipse (clouds "interrupted" in some areas).

Wonderful!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

I shockingly have another special thing I saw today!  One of my light bulbs died.  I didn't have any of that type... or so I thought... I find the previous owner left me a couple of incandescent bulbs.  I had not seen these in action for many a year.  I plugged it in and... the soft glow is so lovely.  Leds don't really compare, even with the same color temp rating. 

I looked it up and discovered that incandescent bulbs are banned in the US now.  It probably was posted on the unimportant news thread but I wasn't paying attention.

They might be painfully inefficient, but I'll salute the incandescent bulb of the past.  What a treat!

drogulus

I prayed to Quetzalcoatl and he brought the sun back from a 93% eclipse. He's famous for that sort of thing. I don't know why people are so down on him.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mapman

Quote from: Cato on April 08, 2024, 12:50:13 PMHere in western Ohio we had a total eclipse for almost 4 minutes!

I traveled to western Ohio for the eclipse, and my observations were similar to yours. It was (unsurprisingly) as spectacular as the 2017 eclipse.