How/Why Did You Choose Your Username?

Started by Florestan, April 13, 2024, 10:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

When I registered on GMG I was asked to choose a username, and back then (2007, maybe even earlier) I was a Schumann buff, impetuous and impulsive and reckless. Hence my username, which had nothing at all to do with Beethoven. Fast forward almost 20 years, I am not a Schumann buff anymore but I am still impetuous and impulsive and reckless sometimes, so I don't feel the need to change my username.

How about you, folks?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: premont on April 13, 2024, 10:50:44 AMMy username is a Frenchization of a Latinization of my real name. Complicated? Not at all.

I am astonished that Danish has a native word for mountain...  ;D  >:D  :P
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

My username is a Frenchization of a Latinization of my real name. Complicated? Not at all. Correctly it should be 
prémont. I think I shall change the username to this.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Florestan on April 13, 2024, 10:54:31 AMI am astonished that Danish has a native word for mountain...  ;D  >:D  :P

Very funny, but we need to have a word for mountains abroad.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

T. D.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

Short form of/nickname from my real first name plus the Koechel number of the Clarinet trio. Seemed a good mix between some connection to real name and music while keeping anonymity for search engines and the like.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: prémont on April 13, 2024, 11:00:43 AMVery funny, but we need to have a word for mountains abroad.  :D

Yes of course.  8)

Seriously now, one of my favorite novels is Henrik Pontoppidan's Lucky Per. I read it in a Romanian translation and was spellbound, then I watched the movie and loved it. Not to mention HCA....

Jubel! (blame it on Google Translate...)

Cato

"Cato" came to mind mainly because of the two Roman Cato's.

Cato the Elder warned constantly of the rise of Carthage (supposedly he ended his every Senate speech with Delenda est Carthago! = Carthage must be destroyed), while great-grandson Cato the Younger was an opponent of the tyrant Julius Caesar.

However, there was a third Cato: Bruce Lee played The Green Hornet's aide and chauffeur in the T.V. show of the same name.

And, yes, there is a FOURTH Cato:o

Burt Kwouk played Cato, the butler and martial-arts sparring partner of Inspector Clouseau ( Peter Sellers) in the Pink Panther movies, in which Clouseau had hired Cato to attack him at random and in inventive ways, so that the detective could practice defending against a potential assassination! 

So, I think on the day that I joined GMG, I had been talking about Cato the Younger's suicide of protest against Julius Caesar to my students.

With all those dramatic and comedic associations, Cato seemed a fine choice!

At one time my "avatar" was a Roman portrait bust of Cato the Elder, and later of Cato the Younger.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

DavidW

My name is David.  There are many Davids so I added the initial for my last name.  I think when I started I might have gone by mahlerfan... I don't recall now.  I go by haydnfan on TC, but I haven't posted there in might be a decade or so.

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on April 13, 2024, 11:23:29 AMShort form of/nickname from my real first name plus the Koechel number of the Clarinet trio.

Johann & Kegelstatt Trio, blimey --- I guessed your first name alright long time ago, yet never the second part until now....  ;D

Florestan

VonStupp

I have been using VonStupp, a poorly spelled homage to Lili Von Shtüpp (who always offered me plenty of schnitzengruben), since the 90's on GeoCities.

For some unknown reason, a fur-laden Offenbach has always accompanied VonStupp as my avatar. I have a stable of five or so online monikers used throughout the decades, but VonStupp is my oldest and most used.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Florestan

Quote from: VonStupp on April 13, 2024, 11:58:04 AMI have been using VonStupp, a poorly spelled homage to Lili Von Shtüpp (who always offered me plenty of schnitzengruben), since the 90's on GeoCities.

For some unknown reason, a fur-laden Offenbach has always accompanied VonStupp as my avatar. I have a stable of five or so online monikers used throughout the decades, but VonStupp is my oldest and most used.
VS

I love Offenbach.

Florestan

Brian

Quote from: VonStupp on April 13, 2024, 11:58:04 AMI have been using VonStupp, a poorly spelled homage to Lili Von Shtüpp (who always offered me plenty of schnitzengruben), since the 90's on GeoCities.

I'm glad that my assumption of where your name came from was correct because I definitely think of her song every time!

T. D.

Quote from: Florestan on April 13, 2024, 12:10:42 PMThaddeus Dietriechstein;D

I like to go anonymous on music boards. Often my fake names are completely irrelevant or involve "Geek" in some way, but this being a dignified setting I went with real initials.  ;D

Being a jazz listener, my preferred TD musician is Tadd Dameron.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on April 13, 2024, 12:12:22 PMI'm glad that my assumption of where your name came from was correct because I definitely think of her song every time!

Just the other day I was listening to my car radio the Romanian Classical Music station --- they were playing the Offenbach Can-Can --- when it was all over, the speaker said, I quote exactly, "That was the Offenbach Can-Can from La Vie Parisienne" --- which is bollocks, the Can-Can is actually from Orphée aux enfers --- the RCMS speakers are quite possibly the greatest ignoramuses in the world.  ;D

Cato

VS

To be very clear... ;D

Madeline Kahn as Lili Von Shtupp (or Schtupp, or Schtüpp) from Blazing Saddles...

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lisztianwagner

For my username, I wanted to pay homage to two of my absolute favourite composers, Wagner and Liszt, merging them.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler