The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on July 05, 2015, 01:29:57 PM
So, how many Sibelians here have heard this work before? I myself came across it only yesterday. What do you think of it?

Not much, but I don't care much about solo organ works anyway.

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on July 06, 2015, 03:06:06 AM
Does this Op.111b designation indicate a variant scoring?

No, there are two organ pieces in the opus, op.111a is called "Intrada", and op.111b is "Surusoitto".
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on July 07, 2015, 06:09:22 AM
No, there are two organ pieces in the opus, op.111a is called "Intrada", and op.111b is "Surusoitto".

Thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Moonfish

More information:

"How were Sibelius' symphonies performed during the composer's lifetime? This 11CD set aims to answer the question by presenting some of the most legendary Sibelius recordings from the vaults of Decca's Mono & early Stereo Catalogue. Featuring Jansen's Karelia Suite, the Violin Concerto in D minor with Ricci & Fjeldstad, Eduard van Beinum's Tapiola and Finlandia,Songs with Birgit Nilsson and Bertil Bokstedt, as well as Anthony Collins' complete Sibelius cycle – one of the first collections of the symphonies performed by one orchestra and conductor.

CDs 1–4 (NEWLY REMASTERED)
Symphonies 1–7 • Karelia Overture • Pohjola's Daughter Pelléas et Mélisande — Suite nos.2 & 6–9 Night Ride and Sunrise
London Symphony Orchestra / Anthony Collins

CD 5
Lemminkäinen Suite • Karelia Suite
Danish State Radio Symphony Orchestra / Thomas Jensen

CD 6
String Quartet, op.56 "Voces intimae" • Symphony No.5 • Finlandia
Griller Quartet
Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra / Erik Tuxen

CD 7
En saga* • Tapiola* • Finlandia*
Valse triste* • Violin Concerto
London Philharmonic Orchestra / Jan Damen
Concertgebouw Orchestra* / Van Beinum

CD 8
Finlandia • Valse triste • The Swan of Tuonela • Scènes historiques I — Festivo • Karelia Suite • Tapiola
Berliner Philharmoniker / Hans Rosbaud

CD 9
Violin Concerto* • Songs • Ruggiero Ricci* • Kirsten Flagstad
London Symphony Orchestra / Øivin Fjeldstad

CD 10
Symphony No.2* • Songs+
London Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Monteux*
Birgit Nilsson
Wiener Opernorchester/Bertil Bokstedt+

CD 11
Symphony No.5* • Karelia Suite*
King Christian II Suite — Élégie et Musette**º

Pelléas et Mélisande — Intermezzo**º
Valse triste+º • Finlandia**º
London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Alexander Gibson*

London Proms Symphony Orchestra / Sir Charles Mackerras** ºFirst International Decca CD Release"

from   http://umusicdirect.com/classics/*/Box-Sets/Sibelius-Great-Performances/4OBO04G6000
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Jean made the cover of Gramophone's August 2015 issue...

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 19, 2015, 06:09:49 PM

Yay!!!!!

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on July 19, 2015, 06:18:36 PM
Yay!!!!!

This must be the sign, Sibelius has finally made it to the big time!  :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 19, 2015, 06:09:49 PM

Sweet! I still need to pick up the February 2015 issue of BBC Music Magazine with you know who on the front cover.

TheGSMoeller

The Sibelius/Gramophone is a good article, a strong focus on several of his works, mainly L.Legends, Kullervo and Tapiola.

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 20, 2015, 02:30:22 AM
The Sibelius/Gramophone is a good article, a strong focus on several of his works, mainly L.Legends, Kullervo and Tapiola.
Excellent! (and curious that you abbreviate Lemminkäinen, the actual title of the piece, and not 'Legends' ;) , Greg).

Meanwhile, I should take a look at dad's copy of the abbreviated single volume version of Erik Tawaststjerna's five volume biography by Erik T. Tawaststjerna (the former's son) (in Finnish only, but the original is available in English too if I recall correctly).
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on July 20, 2015, 03:00:23 AM
Excellent! (and curious that you abbreviate Lemminkäinen, the actual title of the piece, and not 'Legends' ;) , Greg).

Has nothing to do with being lazy.  ::)

;D

Moonfish

Decca is dusting off their WP/Maazel recordings with the bonus of a remastering. I wonder how these will compare with the original WP set?

Sibelius: Symphonies         WP/Maazel     (remastered/ 4 cds + bluray) - Oct 2, 2015

http://www.amazon.de/Die-Sieben-Sinfonien-Blu-Ray-Audio/dp/B011WEVXZ8

Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on July 24, 2015, 11:31:17 PM
Decca is dusting off their WP/Maazel recordings with the bonus of a remastering. I wonder how these will compare with the original WP set?

Sibelius: Symphonies         WP/Maazel     (remastered/ 4 cds + bluray) - Oct 2, 2015

Most importantly, it has the Tapiola unlike the previous box set that I own.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

calyptorhynchus

On the subject of the original En Saga, I see Radio 3 (UK) are broadcasting a performance of this at 3.04am (UK time) 28 July. It will be available after this to stream from the BBC Radio 3 website for a week or two.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Jaakko Keskinen

I guess no-one is ever going to make a write-up about Pohjola's daughter...
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on July 25, 2015, 06:08:02 AM
I guess no-one is ever going to make a write-up about Pohjola's daughter...

Why don't you make one? Problem solved. :)

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2015, 06:14:54 AM
Why don't you make one? Problem solved. :)

I'm not confident enough to do that. :P
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on July 25, 2015, 06:25:58 AM
I'm not confident enough to do that. :P

It's easy all you do is a copy-and-paste an article about the work and then tell us your opinion of the work and tell us your favorite performances. If you want to add some related artwork, that's completely up to you. Have you seen the way I've done my posts about particular works?

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2015, 06:28:00 AM
It's easy all you do is a copy-and-paste an article about the work and then tell us your opinion of the work and tell us your favorite performances. If you want to add some related artwork, that's completely up to you. Have you seen the way I've done my posts about particular works?

Yes, I know quite well how to do it. What I meant was that I'm not confident enough to be in the "spotlight" like that.

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on July 25, 2015, 06:30:46 AM
Yes, I know quite well how to do it. What I meant was that I'm not confident enough to be in the "spotlight" like that.

Every post you make is in the spotlight.