The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Some have given raves for Press Celebration Music. Just now listening for the first time. It shares the soundworld of Four Legends from Kalevala, very consistent stuff, and highly personal as well. It includes Finlandia on its first version like Finland Awakes.

There must be other gems hidden in his catalogue. What Sibelius neglected or lesser-known pieces do you think are beautiful, great or worth listening? It comes to my mind the Violin Sonatas, the Piano Quintet iirc, and of course, The Wood Nymph.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I don't know if the andante festivo counts as a hidden gem, but it's a gem.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 04, 2019, 02:43:36 PM
I don't know if the andante festivo counts as a hidden gem, but it's a gem.

Haha, good correction!

Brahmsian

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 04, 2019, 02:36:54 PM

There must be other gems hidden in his catalogue. What Sibelius neglected or lesser-known pieces do you think are beautiful, great or worth listening?

I highly recommend checking out Sibelius' ballet music for 'Scaramouche'.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 04, 2019, 02:36:54 PMThere must be other gems hidden in his catalogue. What Sibelius neglected or lesser-known pieces do you think are beautiful, great or worth listening? It comes to my mind the Violin Sonatas, the Piano Quintet iirc, and of course, The Wood Nymph.

The Origin of Fire (original version) gets my vote. The complete recording of The Tempest is also a must-hear. Another 'hidden gem', for me, would be Rakastava in Sibelius' own arrangement for strings, percussion, and triangle. Also, many of his songs are worth hearing (whether for voice/piano or voice/orchestra). Do you own all of the Sibelius BIS sets?

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 04, 2019, 03:53:39 PM
The Origin of Fire (original version) gets my vote. The complete recording of The Tempest is also a must-hear. Another 'hidden gem', for me, would be Rakastava in Sibelius' own arrangement for strings, percussion, and triangle. Also, many of his songs are worth hearing (whether for voice/piano or voice/orchestra). Do you own all of the Sibelius BIS sets?

I have a lot of JS, who did after all write my favorite piece of music, but confess I wouldn't be interested in a whole shelf. But apart from the orchestral boxes, which of these is most interesting/rewarding?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 04, 2019, 05:54:09 PM
I have a lot of JS, who did after all write my favorite piece of music, but confess I wouldn't be interested in a whole shelf. But apart from the orchestral boxes, which of these is most interesting/rewarding?

Outside of the orchestral music and the few chamber pieces I've heard, I know very little of his oeuvre. So perhaps a resident Sibelian can answer more effectively? :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 04, 2019, 03:53:39 PM
The Complete Tempest gets my vote. There is a wonderful 'Interlude' representing Prospero (track 8 on the BIS disc) which is not included in either of the suites which Sibelius put together. It is my favourite movement of all. Also I agree with John about 'The Origins of Fire' and would add the Complete Karelia music (especially on Ondine although the BIS is good too). I've recently been enjoying the original (1915) version of Symphony 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

It has to be "The Bard" for me. The first time I heard the tone poem which was only last year I thought - where has that come from and how on earth have I not heard it before ?!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Well, as some of you might have seen I'm going through the orchestral music chronologically. I'm documenting it in the current listening thread. The Wood-Nymph has already been mentioned. Other earlyish works that have taken my fancy include the orchestral song Serenad, and The Rapid Rider's Brides,

The Presto that is an orchestration from the op.4 string quartet is also surprisingly fun.

Elsewhere, from the piano music it's op.24 that is rather impressive (later than the opus number appears, thanks to Sibelius' weird vagaries with opus numbers). There's good reason why several pianists put op.24 first in a collection.

The songs with piano definitely deserve a wider hearing than they get. There are some truly surprising things in there.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 04, 2019, 10:41:24 PM
The Complete Tempest gets my vote. There is a wonderful 'Interlude' representing Prospero (track 8 on the BIS disc) which is not included in either of the suites which Sibelius put together. It is my favourite movement of all. Also I agree with John about 'The Origins of Fire' and would add the Complete Karelia music (especially on Ondine although the BIS is good too). I've recently been enjoying the original (1915) version of Symphony 5.

The Interlude is a fine piece but I would still go for the Suites, too much repetition in the complete Tempest. The Interlude is in Suite No 2 (No 3, Prospero) but in abbreviated form.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 05, 2019, 03:55:14 AM
The Interlude is a fine piece but I would still go for the Suites, too much repetition in the complete Tempest. The Interlude is in Suite No 2 (No 3, Prospero) but in abbreviated form.

I like the Suites too although I think the part of 'Prospero' I like is cut out - certainly hearing that part of The Complete Tempest was a complete revelation to me. There are parts of the 1915 version of Symphony 5 which were a revelation too, especially near the opening of the original fourth movement.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 04, 2019, 11:28:18 PM
It has to be "The Bard" for me. The first time I heard the tone poem which was only last year I thought - where has that come from and how on earth have I not heard it before ?!

Oh, I love the Bard but have known it since the days of the LP. I also greatly enjoy the Oceanides.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 04, 2019, 02:36:54 PM
There must be other gems hidden in his catalogue. What Sibelius neglected or lesser-known pieces do you think are beautiful, great or worth listening?

I should think that the Romances -- defacto Violin Concertinos -- would count...?!?

Forbes Classical CD Of The Week: Hidden Sibelius Gems

Jaakko Keskinen

I actually don't think those are all hidden gems, some of those are IMO among Sibelius's most well-known compositions.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Alberich on March 05, 2019, 05:31:25 AM
I actually don't think those are all hidden gems, some of those are IMO among Sibelius's most well-known compositions.

You're right. But relatively speaking, no? Next to Scaramouche, they're wildly popular. Next to the Violin Concerto, no one knows them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 04, 2019, 10:41:24 PM

A great choice, Jeffrey. 8) The Tempest is one of my favorites from Sibelius.

Florestan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 05, 2019, 04:27:38 AM
I should think that the Romances -- defacto Violin Concertinos -- would count...?!?

Forbes Classical CD Of The Week: Hidden Sibelius Gems

His music for violin and orchestra beside the VC gets my vote as well. The guy really had a knack for writing gorgeous violin music.

And I fully agree that the E-flat major Humoresque is to die for.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SymphonicAddict

Very compelling suggestions, guys. Thank you all. I'll investigate further.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 05, 2019, 03:55:14 AM

I've just checked this out by comparing the Complete Tempest Score conducted by Vanska (track eight) 'Prospero' with the relevant section of Suite No.2 conducted by Kamu 'Prospero' (both on BIS) track 14. The Suite No.2 cuts out the central, liturgical-sounding, section of ''Prospero' which is my favourite bit of the whole score, rather like Vaughan Williams (IMO) cutting out the best part of 'A London Symphony' in his 1936 revision, just before the 'Epilogue'. Ironically I suspect that Vaughan Williams was influenced by Sibelius (at the height of his fame in Britain in 1936) in his final detrimental (IMO) revision of 'A London Symphony'.