The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krummholz

Quote from: relm1 on August 27, 2021, 05:48:23 AM
What do people think of Bernstein's 1960's NYPO cycle?  He was on fire during this period so curious to check it out.

This was my first exposure to all of the Sibelius symphonies (except the 1st, which I first heard as performed by Ormandy and the Philadelphians). The one caveat I'll give is that he takes the coda to the finale of the 4th VERY slowly. For many years I assumed that the slower tempo was actually in the score, but after listening to Sir Colin Davis, I realized that this was probably not true and that Lenny was taking enormous liberties here. (I've yet to see the score - should probably look for it online.)

In any case, today I prefer Davis in the 4th, but Bernstein in most of the others. Alas, I only had the set on LP and no longer own it (nor a turntable to play vinyl). Good to hear it's been remastered, may order it soon.

vers la flamme

Digging the 6th lately after some talk about it in this thread. I'm starting to see it as kind of like a sister to the more popular 7th. The Karajan/DG is a really great one. Sibelius is great to listen to in the winter time, sure, but for whatever reason Sibelius sounds great on these hot August days in the American south.

relm1

Quote from: krummholz on August 28, 2021, 10:21:08 AM
This was my first exposure to all of the Sibelius symphonies (except the 1st, which I first heard as performed by Ormandy and the Philadelphians). The one caveat I'll give is that he takes the coda to the finale of the 4th VERY slowly. For many years I assumed that the slower tempo was actually in the score, but after listening to Sir Colin Davis, I realized that this was probably not true and that Lenny was taking enormous liberties here. (I've yet to see the score - should probably look for it online.)

In any case, today I prefer Davis in the 4th, but Bernstein in most of the others. Alas, I only had the set on LP and no longer own it (nor a turntable to play vinyl). Good to hear it's been remastered, may order it soon.

But which Davis?  My go to set is Davis/BSO but I dislike Davis/LSO.  It lacks everything that made the Boston set great.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: krummholz on August 28, 2021, 10:15:51 AM
My feeling about it as well. As I recall, Sibelius's subtitle (or maybe more of a motto) for the work was "As shadows lengthen..."

... over a mystical frozen lake, surrounded by a snowy forest...
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

I get tired of the constant association of Sibelius with winter. You'd think that Finland only had one season.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Madiel on August 28, 2021, 11:05:28 PM
I get tired of the constant association of Sibelius with winter. You'd think that Finland only had one season.

Like Australia?

Madiel

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 29, 2021, 03:33:33 AM
Like Australia?

We've got an entire continent here, and given that in winter I have nights below zero and in summer I can have days of 40 degrees I'd say that I have seasons. You just have stereotypes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on August 28, 2021, 11:05:28 PM

That is kind of like how Hollywood movies always use a yellow tint in depicting Mexico, everything in South America is in the amazon, and all of India looks like the slums of Mumbai. 

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on August 29, 2021, 06:06:03 AM
That is kind of like how Hollywood movies always use a yellow tint in depicting Mexico, everything in South America is in the amazon, and all of India looks like the slums of Mumbai.

Yep.

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on August 29, 2021, 06:06:03 AM
Old American films set in London (Sherlock Holmes etc) always show it encased in fog.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on August 29, 2021, 06:21:55 AM
Old American films set in London (Sherlock Holmes etc) always show it encased in fog.

Or raining! ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 29, 2021, 06:21:55 AM

Quote from: DavidW on August 29, 2021, 06:30:33 AM
Or raining! ;D
I was trying to locate a comic strip that I remember from 1970's or '80's which I vividly recall--alas, I couldn't find it online to share.  It was a Hagar The Horrible cartoon of Hagar (a Viking) walking along with his skinny Viking cohort.  The first two or three frames were of them trodding along through the countryside getting soaked in the rain.  The next frame, they were walking along on a nice sunny day.  Last frame:  they were back to tromping along in the rain with Hagar saying to his friend "That was summertime in England".
;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Madiel on August 29, 2021, 05:25:28 AM
We've got an entire continent here, and given that in winter I have nights below zero and in summer I can have days of 40 degrees I'd say that I have seasons. You just have stereotypes.

Duh... no really.... I had NO IDEA

Mirror Image

Quote from: krummholz on August 28, 2021, 10:21:08 AM

If you're looking for the Bernstein 60s set remastered, you probably won't find it and if you do, it'll be for a high price. I had looked for it some time ago, but ended up just going with a digital download from Qobuz, which I don't really like to do. I own this older Bernstein set:

But the recent remastering makes the aural image much clearer and this alone makes it preferable to the older set.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2021, 07:20:17 AM
If you're looking for the Bernstein 60s set remastered, you probably won't find it and if you do, it'll be for a high price. I had looked for it some time ago, but ended up just going with a digital download from Qobuz, which I don't really like to do. I own this older Bernstein set:

But the recent remastering makes the aural image much clearer and this alone makes it preferable to the older set.
Me too John. Great set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 29, 2021, 11:01:44 AM
Me too John. Great set.
When did they remaster it?  For what its worth, I read some mixed-comments about at least a recent remastering.

I have the 1960's as part of a 2010 set from the Bernstein's "Symphonies" set.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 29, 2021, 11:05:53 AM
When did they remaster it?  For what its worth, I read some mixed-comments about at least a recent remastering.

I have the 1960's as part of a 2010 set from the Bernstein's "Symphonies" set.

PD

Info can be found here:

https://www.discogs.com/Sibelius-Bernstein-Remastered-Edition-The-Symphonies/release/10800782

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2021, 07:20:17 AM

Embarrassing typo for the only soloist's name on the back cover  ::).  Such sloppiness shouldn't pass a major label's production process.

André

First listening ever to these two works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on August 29, 2021, 11:32:10 AM
Embarrassing typo for the only soloist's name on the back cover  ::).  Such sloppiness shouldn't pass a major label's production process.

Agreed, but while on the subject of sloppiness...

Quote from: André on August 29, 2021, 11:36:21 AM

First listening ever to these two works.

;) ;D