The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2014, 10:29:45 AM
This is the best performance I know of the Four Legends - an intensely poetic performance which made me realise how great this work is. Up until now Thomas Jensen's Danish RSO version was my favourite, for its intense atmosphere but the Colin Davis version has the same intensity but a far more modern recording. I am not a great fan of Colin Davis but this is undoubtedly a great performance.

Are you familiar with the Segerstam/Helsinki PO performance, Jeffrey? This is my go-to Lemminkäinen.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 05, 2014, 05:31:51 AM
Are you familiar with the Segerstam/Helsinki PO performance, Jeffrey? This is my go-to Lemminkäinen.

Oddly enough John I was playing that today. It is terrific too, although I prefer the Swan coming second. The accompanying Tapiola is possibly the greatest version of that great work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Sibelius's complete Tempest music (BIS) has been an absolute revelation to me. I am especially moved by the 'Prospero' theme that I don't recall from either of the suites (from c. 1.35 mins into the extract below):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLHtjlre01E

[asin]B000027E3T[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Moonfish

I love this photo of Sibelius!  :)

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Yes, it's terrific. Never seen it before.

Jaakko Keskinen

Fell in love with nightride and sunrise again, not monotonic at all, what the hell was I thinking.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Possibly my very favorite among the tone-poems.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Referring to one of my earlier posts about how Sibelius never composed tone poem about Sampo in Kalevala: in the beginning of 20s he made some sketches titled "The forging of the Sampo". I would really like to see that melody he wrote next to that title, even though it was possibly far from how it would have appeared had he ever actually composed it. He mentioned that he was intrigued by how you never actually know what Sampo is and how the forging should be played pianissimo, like from very far away. I usually think Pohjola's daughter tone poem as equivalent to Sampo, the music makes me think as much of Sampo and its grinding of riches as of Väinämöinen wooing Pohjola's daughter. That tone poem of course was composed around 15 years before remarking anything about Sampo project and it certainly isn't pianissimo all the time.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

GOOD OLD WOOD NYMPH DRAGS ME FULLY BACK TO CLASSICAL MODE

Hey guys, as a consumer, I am currently in a heavy Radiohead mode, also back to my old love IDM. Just a few classical music this whole year. Now I incidentally saw this recording of the Wood Nymph and immediately bought from eclassical. Because every nymph has to be bought. Will have to listen closely to what the differences are in the critical? edition...

In the end, I'll probably listen to the one and only recording. I'm not searching in the nymph department. Because the very first one, also Vänskä/Lahti, already is perfect to my ears. Oh, how I love this piece; all the good feelings are back. That power and drama.

After Tapiola, Wood Nymph is by far my favourite Sibelius piece of music. And its really time to give Lemminkainen a closer listen.

Jaakko Keskinen

I just noticed how much Sibelius's Andante Festivo sounds like Liszt's Les Preludes. And not just Andante festivo, some of the melodies in 1st and 2nd symphony, as well! Probably much more examples as well.

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

The stronger the roots, the taller the tree.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

Just curious Karl: when you said that nightride and sunrise is possibly your favorite tone poem, did you mean of all the tone poems you've heard or merely by Sibelius?

Excellent work no doubt and among my very favorites. It is very difficult to me to say just one work, though.

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

I meant of Sibelius.  It's something of a sentimental favorite, I still remember my first listen of Segerstam/Helsinki bowling me over with this 'un:

[asin]B00000DMKY[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on November 24, 2014, 07:37:41 AM
I meant of Sibelius.  It's something of a sentimental favorite, I still remember my first listen of Segerstam/Helsinki bowling me over with this 'un:

[asin]B00000DMKY[/asin]

It's certainly a fine recording and a favorite of mine as well.

vandermolen

Madiel

Well, as it happens I'm about to listen to Night Ride and Sunrise for the very first time. Not that recording though. Vanska.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

I've not heard that one, but I have confidence.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Well, without having a comparator, I'm impressed.

Very, very Sibelian.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jaakko Keskinen

One of the first reviews about this tone poem for some reason amuses me even though I disagree with it. I don't have the official translation so I'll try translating it myself from how I read it in finnish:

"It is difficult to understand who is riding and where and for what reason."

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on November 28, 2014, 08:15:17 AM

"It is difficult to understand who is riding and where and for what reason."

This is up to the listener of course. Does anyone know what Sibelius thought about it or what kind of program (if any) that's attached to it?