Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

6th symphony has for long time been my favorite from Jean. Yet at the first time I didn't get it, I preferred "larger" and "more ambitious" symphonies no. 1 and 2. But after one relistening, bang! I was sold. Its classicism-almost rococo-like style is so refreshing (kind of like 3rd symphony which I've read, is along with 6th one of his most neglected ones). This sounds silly but some of the movements have kind of the same effect to me than drinking ice cold Coke or Pepsi after working hard on a hot day. Yes, I did just compare one of the greatest symphonies of 20th century to drinking soda. Sibelius probably would have preferred water (at least that's what he said about cocktails when people complained about his use of orchestra).

Yes, a Wagner fan likes the light touch of 6th symphony.  8)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

vandermolen

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on April 08, 2015, 05:28:38 AM
thanks VdM and Cockatoo!: all news to me and must say VW and Simpson's and Meister Henning's views carry some weight with me.

+1  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on April 08, 2015, 06:26:20 AM
Sibelius probably would have preferred water vodka on the rocks.

Fixed.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

From "What are you listening to now"

Sibelius:
Concerto in D minor for violin and orchestra Op 47 (original version 1903-04) transcribed for violin and piano

Sato/Gräsbeck

Sibelius did a fantastic job in his transcription. I certainly prefer the original Violin Concerto, but this is delicately performed by Sato and Gräsbeck. Beautiful! A bit more low key compared to the "real" thing.

from
[asin] B001FNBDT8[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on April 26, 2015, 02:46:46 PM
Is there more information on this in the booklet? Elsewhere I saw that Kalevi Aho had done some finishing touches to the transcription.

It states that Sibelius did all the work on the final version (1905). In this 'original version' (1903-04) it is a blend depending on the movement. From the booklet:

"It is clear that Sibelius planned to make a transcription after the first performances with the orchestra: a manuscript in the National Library of Finland contains his own adaptation of parts of the first movement in which a few details of the violin part have already been modified. The transcription is fragmentary and the piano part was completed by the composer Kalevi Aho in 2007, with reference to the complete orchestral score of the first version and the published transcription of the definitive version. The Sibelius Museum in Turku possesses manuscripts of the second and third movements, but the second movement is already in its revised 1905 form and so, in order to avoid creating a spurious 'hybrid' version, we have used the violin part from the orchestral original for this recording. The third movement of the 1903-04 version, on the other hand, was transcribed in its entirety by Sibelius; to judge the confusingly laid out manuscript, he used his transcription when planning which passages to cut in the revision." [Andrew Barnett]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

I was thrilled to see all of the Sibelius listening and discussions today.  That is all for now. 8)

Moonfish

Sibelius:
Belsazars gästabud        Lahti SO/Vänskä
Kung Kristian II          Gothenburg SO/Järvi
Svanevit                 Gothenburg SO/Järvi

I listened to this cd twice (last night as well as this morning) and was struck by how endearing the music was. All three of these works possess both charm and power. The soundscape is whispering, alluring and invokes a dreamy feeling within me. Surprisingly, the quality of the compositions is high throughout. It seems like there is a certain stigma attached to the "not-so-famous" works composed by Sibelius. This volume of the Sibelius Edition certainly contradicts such opinions to a very high degree. This is a cd I will return to over and over. I wonder what else is hidden in the valiant BIS project?

cd 4 from
[asin] B001AX69C4[/asin]

Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Have you heard Origin Of Fire (Original Version) from the Voice & Orchestra set yet, Peter? Absolutely brilliant work. If I hadn't already picked five favorite Sibelius works, this one would have been a serious contender.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 06, 2015, 07:17:26 PM
Have you heard Origin Of Fire (Original Version) from the Voice & Orchestra set yet, Peter? Absolutely brilliant work. If I hadn't already picked five favorite Sibelius works, this one would have been a serious contender.

Not yet! Too many yummy auditory chocolates in these boxes. I also have a tendency to listen to the disks twice for some reason.  ;)
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 06, 2015, 07:29:32 PM
Not yet! Too many yummy auditory chocolates in these boxes. I also have a tendency to listen to the disks twice for some reason.  ;)
So do I. Saves getting off the couch  ;)
When I go through a new box I almost always listen to each disc twice before moving on to the next.
La Mer recordings excepted.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 06, 2015, 07:29:32 PM

Man! You've got to hear this work! I was just going through this Voice & Orchestra set and my buddy, Karlo (North Star), suggested to me that I need to listen to this work ASAP and so I listened. I'm glad I did, too. What's ingenious about this particular work is the range of emotions it goes through in a mere 11 and half minutes. It's for baritone, male choir, and orchestra. The beginning sounds like something Shostakovich would have written which seems to invoke a darkened landscape. When the baritone enters, it kind of reminded me of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 14 or should I say the other way around since this predates any Shostakovich by many years. What's also interesting and worth pointing out is even in such an early work such as Origin Of Fire, the music is quite mature. Superb orchestration abound and the way the piece climaxes is absolutely gripping. Have I piqued your interest yet? ;)

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 06, 2015, 07:44:36 PM
Man! You've got to hear this work! I was just going through this Voice & Orchestra set and my buddy, Karlo (North Star), suggested to me that I need to listen to this work ASAP and so I listened. I'm glad I did, too. What's ingenious about this particular work is the range of emotions it goes through in a mere 11 and half minutes. It's for baritone, male choir, and orchestra. The beginning sounds like something Shostakovich would have written which seems to invoke a darkened landscape. When the baritone enters, it kind of reminded me of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 14 or should I say the other way around since this predates any Shostakovich by many years. What's also interesting and worth pointing out is even in such an early work such as Origin Of Fire, the music is quite mature. Superb orchestration abound and the way the piece climaxes is absolutely gripping. Have I piqued your interest yet? ;)

Ha ha! As always....    0:)
It does sound like a piece one would keep listening to over and over though!  8)
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 06, 2015, 07:47:23 PM
Ha ha! As always....    0:)
It does sound like a piece one would keep listening to over and over though!  8)

It's certainly worth your time (whenever you get the opportunity). You won't be sorry. :)

Mirror Image

What is everyone's favorite performance(s) of the Violin Concerto? Mine is a tie between: Hahn/Salonen and Kuusisto/Segerstam. I also really like the Mullova/Ozawa but it's in a distant running with the afore mentioned performances.

Mirror Image

And has our Karl heard The Origin Of Fire yet? If not, listen to both versions (when you get the chance), the differences between them gives you a glimpse into Sibelius' revision process, but both versions further demonstrate his compositional mastery even at such an early stage in his development.

Brian

I don't have a favorite violin concerto recording. :( I prefer "hotter", fiery-er, more romantic interpretations, with livelier tempos. (Any first movement longer than 16' will probably be a reject.) I'd really love to hear a more mannered, old-school performance with vibrato that leaves scorch marks in the first 2 minutes and the slow movement. Strongly dislike Kuusisto and Kavakos/Vanska.

Right now the closest to what I'm looking for are Heifetz, Shaham, and Adele Anthony, but I'm searching for my white whale.

This is sort of like how my ideal Second Symphony recording - with a brisk, neoclassical reading of the first movement that clocks in around 7:45-8:00 - does not and likely will never exist.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2015, 05:57:23 PM
What is everyone's favorite performance(s) of the Violin Concerto? Mine is a tie between: Hahn/Salonen, Kuusisto/Segerstam, and Kavakos/Vanska. I also really like the Mullova/Ozawa but it's in a distant running with the afore mentioned performances.

It seems I'm on repeat mode about my fave but once again I plump for the Haendel/Berglund/Bournemouth recording. :) Haendel's playing is loaded with confidence. She has flair, vision, chops to tackle every hairpin twist, with daredevil stabs glued to a wonderful overarching long-view of the piece. EVERYTHING has a place and purpose. And symmetry...plenty of symmetry.

PLUS...this is one of the finest examples of recorded sound I've heard. Spacious, multi-layered, burly, and very characterful.

It pops up for cheapish on Amazon from time to time so waiting for opportunity is key. Right now it's on the expensive side.

[asin]B000058UTF[/asin]
Crap...here's the pic:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on May 11, 2015, 06:34:35 PM
I don't have a favorite violin concerto recording. :( I prefer "hotter", fiery-er, more romantic interpretations, with livelier tempos. (Any first movement longer than 16' will probably be a reject.) I'd really love to hear a more mannered, old-school performance with vibrato that leaves scorch marks in the first 2 minutes and the slow movement.

One word: Haendel. Brian-qualifiers: her first movement is 16:28...but forget about it. Her vibrato isn't excessive...but forget about it. She's "mannered" only in the sense that her style is bathed in personality. But she's never the charlatan. And the sound she produces...and the sound the Bournemouth produces. Distinct. Individual. Making a meal of the piece.

Good stuff.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach